Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Transfer Thread - Ins/Outs

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

we've done a nice piece of business. Lennon Palacios Modric and Kranjcar could be a wonderful quartet. I can't believe Harry got Kranjcar and money for the Prince. Arsenal were willing to pay big money for him a year ago. It's a triffic deal. He's a wonder.
    We now have cover in every position.
    imagine if this is our Ist team
    Gomes
    Corluka King Woodgate BAE
    Lennon Palacios Modric Kranjcar
    Crouch Defoe

Then our 2nd team is

Cudicini
    Hutton Bassong Dawson Bale
    Bentley Jenas Hudd Gio
    Pav Keane

with Naughton Dervitte Broadway Danny Rose around, and Jamie, Taarabt, Walker, and a clatter of goalies getting experience down the leagues.
    A proper squad of triffic players

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I think Kranjcar is a good buy and from the rumours, a bargain price too.

I am still slightly concerned about the CB positions. Fair enough when Ledley & Woody are both fully fit , then I'd say we are solid at the back, but as we know they are both vunerable to injury. That could leave us playing many games with Bassong and Dawson, with Corluka stepping in for Daws on occasion.

I really thought Harry might have been tempted to recruit Dunne. Maybe he did'nt want the same dilema as he has with picking the strikers each week, i guess.

All in all, I think the personnel we have for the campaign is fairly strong. Still not sure that it's strong enough to be challenging for a top four finish come last day of the season but I guess that will be reviewed by the time the next transfer window opens in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

Yep squad looking strong.

I think Harry probably thought Dunne came in a bit expensive at £6m + Man City pay-off fee of £1m + City-type wages. He would have been effectively only a 5th choice cb.

But yes, a loan deal or Naybet type signing would have been nice to get us over this cb injury crisis.

Only slight concern for me is cover in central midfield. If the 1st choice is to be Pal & Hudd, we only really have JJ as natural back-up. Another reason why we should have perhaps kept hold of O'Hara.

Top 4? In the cold light of day, it does appear that Man U, Chelsea & the Scum will def have the edge on us. And Man City's squad looks absolutely awesome, as good as anyone's! But they still need to gel and prove themselves.

Can we take Liverpool though?? They really don't look anything special. Player for player we are at least their equals and they are def going thru' tough times with constant speculation about Rafa. The main weapons they have over us are the world-class Gerrard and Torres. I would say we could take Liverpool if the likes of Defoe, Lennon, Modric and co continue their incredible form. If we are still up there in January, we might be able to attract our own superstar signing which might just push us into that top 4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think he is a great addition and when eventually all fit i think this CB crisis will be a distant memory.

I think harry was looking at the big picture as far as dunne is concerned why pay a 4th or maybe even 5th player 40 odd grand a week. I think the anton ferdinand deal would have been ideal cause we could have given him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

do you really think redknapp will start with kranjcar in the centre when modric is fit would we go back to being a little soft in midfield?

maybe we should go

Gomes
    Corluka King woodgate BAE
    palacios
    Lennon Kranjcar
    Modric
    Keane Defoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

i assumed what you have there would be the plan everdead. Bit harsh on hudd as i think he's been sharp so far this year. Even if we do end up say only getting a point or nothing from our next two games we it'll be like starting the season all over again with woody and modric coming back. I think if we can finish 5th or 6th and be in with a shout of top 4 in may then next season could well be our year. But, for the moment i'll live in the dream of going for the title

do you really think redknapp will start with kranjcar in the centre when modric is fit would we go back to being a little soft in midfield?

maybe we should go

Gomes
    Corluka King woodgate BAE
    palacios
    Lennon Kranjcar
    Modric
    Keane Defoe
    Harry too good a manager to let us go soft again. I imagine Kranjcar will simply replace Modric. Once Modric is fit, I imagine they will both battle it out for the left-side slot.
    I can't see Harry playing either Modric or Kranjcar in central midfield.

Bargain, and he is a great little player.
    Over on Soccer Forum someone on the Tuesday Transfer Deadline thread accusing Harry & Tottenham being by far the worst at tapping up players!!!! (his argument seems to revolve around Harry engineering moves by talking about players to Skysports!)

Can someone put them right?

Its an unbelievably naive opinion - Its the agents & the players that hold all the power in modern football. Its the agents that engineer moves for their clients in their best interests (normally money, but sometimes career progression). Equally footballers of different clubs are constantly talking to each other about transfers & what its like to be at different clubs, how much they are earning etc etc.

This activity is by its very nature never going to reach the public domaine! Never mind transfers being done by Skysports! Skysports and the tabloids may, now & again, pick up on some of this 'private' activity, and thats what leads to the transfer rumours we read about every day. Skysports don't actually instigate the transfers - this is eomeone being caught up in Skyball.

Agents, money and transfers is the way of the modern football world. The only thing Harry is guilty of is being able to operate in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The only thing Harry is guilty of is being able to operate in the world.

He is guilty of frequently commenting on other clubs players in public, he should not do that.

He used his knowledge of Portsmouth's financial problems to squeeze them for Crouch (we paid £2m less than Sunderland agree for him) and for Krankjar.

I respect Redknapp for the job he is doing with our squad, but I feel no pride when I look at how he conducts himself with regard to transfers. We kicked up a fuss last Summer over the "forced" sale of Keane and Berbatov, and we look like hypocrites when we are guilty of the same.

Anyone who can't see that needs to take the blinkers off IMO.

He is guilty of frequently commenting on other clubs players in public, he should not do that.

He used his knowledge of Portsmouth's financial problems to squeeze them for Crouch (we paid £2m less than Sunderland agree for him) and for Krankjar.

I respect Redknapp for the job he is doing with our squad, but I feel no pride when I look at how he conducts himself with regard to transfers. We kicked up a fuss last Summer over the "forced" sale of Keane and Berbatov, and we look like hypocrites when we are guilty of the same.

Anyone who can't see that needs to take the blinkers off IMO.
    I'm sorry but this is being completely naive. Like I said, its the agents that would have engineered, brokered, negotiated every deal from Lescott, Keane, Berbs, Crouch etc etc etc. i.e every single transfer in the PL!
    Transfer fees would be then agreed between the Clubs at Board level - i.e Levy and his counter-part at the other PL club.

These are multi-million pound corporations, the days are gone of Harry getting on the blower to Paul Hart and negotiating a deal!

This is a widespread process, right or wrong, not just Spurs!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm sorry but this is being completely naive. Like I said, its the agents that would have engineered, brokered, negotiated every deal from Lescott, Keane, Berbs, Crouch etc etc etc. i.e every single transfer in the PL!
    Transfer fees would be then agreed between the Clubs at Board level - i.e Levy and his counter-part at the other PL club.

These are multi-million pound corporations, the days are gone of Harry getting on the blower to Paul Hart and negotiating a deal!

This is a widespread process, right or wrong, not just Spurs!!

So Redknapp had no part to play in convincing Defoe, Crouch or Krankjar to sign for Spurs? I think you're the naive one tbh.

If Peter Crouch did not want to move to the north-east then why did he fly up to Sunderland to have a look around their set-up? Was it because a little birdie whispered in his ear that a bid was incoming from Spurs?

Redknapp should hold his tongue when it comes to players he fancies, it is wrong to see him commenting on players who are playing for other clubs as transfer targets...if Alex Ferguson did the same about Modric there'd be blue murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

i agree here. i was infuriated last season and still this year and undrstand how moyes was so angry over the lescott/city affair.:mad:
    its embarrasing that we were outraged by this and do it ourselves. more than once i might add!

has worked in our favour but that doent make it ok

So Redknapp had no part to play in convincing Defoe, Crouch or Krankjar to sign for Spurs? I think you're the naive one tbh.

If Peter Crouch did not want to move to the north-east then why did he fly up to Sunderland to have a look around their set-up? Was it because a little birdie whispered in his ear that a bid was incoming from Spurs?

Redknapp should hold his tongue when it comes to players he fancies, it is wrong to see him commenting on players who are playing for other clubs as transfer targets...if Alex Ferguson did the same about Modric there'd be blue murder.
    Yes & Yes!! Ofcourse Harry was in the loop! But it would have been the Agents of the players that would have been sounding out Defoe, Crouch etc etc of Spurs' interest and how much they could earn etc..

But what I am trying to explain is that this is the way ALL transfers are conducted throughout the PL at EVERY single club! To suggest that Harry is the only Manager using Agents is ludicrous. And if your suggesting Harry himself is tapping up - well be careful, thats illegal - again ludicrous!

Yes Harry is very media friendly and he's very honest about players when asked the question. The poster talked about Mathew Upson. Well what Harry actually said was 'i don't know where these stories are coming from, he's a great player but we have absolutely no interest in him, he's a west ham player and please god let it stay that way!'. I don't see how bad that is.

My point is,whatever is said or not on Skysports, right or wrong, it is completely irrelevant as to whether a transfer is going to happen or not. Skyball fans need a reality check!

keane=cock wrote: »
    i agree here. i was infuriated last season and still this year and undrstand how moyes was so angry over the lescott/city affair.:mad:
    its embarrasing that we were outraged by this and do it ourselves. more than once i might add!

has worked in our favour but that doent make it ok
    But the reason for our grievance over Berbabov was not with the whole transfer process, Fergie was seen talking about Berbs over and over that summer.
    Our main grievance was the fact Levy caved in, because of the high tfr fee, at such late notice,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I think Harry just answers the questions he's asked honestly. Whether they be about team selection, the opposition, players he likes etc.... If that is deemed to be tapping up then so be it but it's well wide of the mark in my opinion. For me it's nice to see a PL manager answering questions in a straight forward manner.

I've never been one for conspiracies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

But the reason for our grievance over Berbabov was not with the whole transfer process, Fergie was seen talking about Berbs over and over that summer.
    Our main grievance was the fact Levy caved in, because of the high tfr fee, at such late notice,

what was levy to do?

berbatov refused to play for the club!

fergie unsettled berbatov and other managers do and will continue to do the same. its just an ugly side of football at the min and its apitty our clu is part of it

keane=cock wrote: »
    what was levy to do?

berbatov refused to play for the club!

fergie unsettled berbatov and other managers do and will continue to do the same. its just an ugly side of football at the min and its apitty our clu is part of it
    Thats my point mate, i don't agree with it either, but every single club, agent, player, manager is doing it on a daily basis.

And therefore it is incredibly out of order to single out Tottenham or even more ludicrously Harry Redknapp as being the main culprits!!

With regard to Levy, love him or hate him, he is a top top businessman and negotiatier. And he doesn't care what people think of him.

On both Keane & Berbatov counts all the tapping up, engineering and brokering had already been done by the agents months & months before the deals happened. The deals didn't happen because Rafa or Fergie happened to tell Charlie on Skysports that they thought they were 'great players, but they belong to Spurs'.

Levy knows the score, he knows how it all works. Once Keane had been tapped up he put out his complaint against Liverpool purely as a negotiating tactic to get the best price from Liverpool. With Berbatov he held on an on, until he got a ridiculously high fee. So we ended up with great deals business-wise.

Ofcourse the complaint from the fans is that we were left without our strikeforce in the name of business.

We just need to look past the Skysports headlines to see what is actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

So the transfer window has closed and I'm pretty happy with our business. We finished last season strongly with a solid squad that didn't require major changes. Usually we go out every summer and buy half a team who take ages to gel and half of them are over-priced flops anyway. I think our fast start this season is due in part to the settled 1st team. We've improved our options up front, at CB and out wide and we have just about broke even on our summer business. Another point thats worth making is that our 3 main signings are all familiar with the Premiership so they can slot in straight away. Well done Harry.

IN
    Kranjcar
    Crouch
    Naughton
    Bassong

OUT
    Boateng
    Chimbonda
    Bent
    Zokora
    Gunter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Newjellyboxer

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    So the transfer window has closed and I'm pretty happy with our business. We finished last season strongly with a solid squad that didn't require major changes. Usually we go out every summer and buy half a team who take ages to gel and half of them are over-priced flops anyway. I think our fast start this season is due in part to the settled 1st team. We've improved our options up front, at CB and out wide and we have just about broke even on our summer business. Another point thats worth making is that our 3 main signings are all familiar with the Premiership so they can slot in straight away. Well done Harry.

IN
    Kranjcar
    Crouch
    Naughton
    Bassong

OUT
    Boateng
    Chimbonda
    Bent
    Zokora
    Gunter

Would have liked Petrov too but not to be. Crouch despite my initial reservations has done well and it was good to read HR compliment him on his patience in waiting for a start in a World Cup year.

Over on Soccer Forum someone on the Tuesday Transfer Deadline thread accusing Harry & Tottenham being by far the worst at tapping up players!!!! (his argument seems to revolve around Harry engineering moves by talking about players to Skysports!)

Can someone put them right?

Its an unbelievably naive opinion - Its the agents & the players that hold all the power in modern football. Its the agents that engineer moves for their clients in their best interests (normally money, but sometimes career progression). Equally footballers of different clubs are constantly talking to each other about transfers & what its like to be at different clubs, how much they are earning etc etc.

This activity is by its very nature never going to reach the public domaine! Never mind transfers being done by Skysports! Skysports and the tabloids may, now & again, pick up on some of this 'private' activity, and thats what leads to the transfer rumours we read about every day. Skysports don't actually instigate the transfers - this is eomeone being caught up in Skyball.

Agents, money and transfers is the way of the modern football world. The only thing Harry is guilty of is being able to operate in the world.
    Its all become clear...!

The poster on soccer accusing Harry Redknapp & Tottenham of being THE 'tapping up' kings by using Skysports (?!?!?!?) to engineer transfers is..........a West Ham supporter!!!!!!

By co-incidence West Ham fans aren't great lovers of Harry Redknapp or Tottenham! And it also explains the ridiculous claim that Harry was trying to set up the transfer of West Ham's Matty Upson for Jan 2010's transfer window via a few harmless comments (when posed a direct question by the Sky interviewer about Matty Upson!!)

Case closed!

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

IN
    Kranjcar
    Crouch
    Naughton
    Bassong

OUT
    Boateng
    Chimbonda
    Bent
    Zokora
    Gunter
    I agree, the squad looks a whole lot more balanced & competitive since Harry's taken over. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Good to see a lot of English fringe national players in our team. Remember the Anderton effect every four year of a world cup. He played his best football because he was desperate to go to a world cup.

Lennon, JD, Dawson, JJ, Crouch, Ledley(very outside chance), Woodgate, Bentley , Hudd will all be trying to cement a place in the squad.

We have a great ENglish spine and only JD and Crouch are proper regulars but even they need to prove themselves.

Of course it also stands for the rest of the international players as well but I think a World Cup preview season really brings the best out of the English guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

The same goes for Charlie, Modric, And Kranjcar (if Croatia make it) Gomes- Brazil, Hutton -although Scotland are nearly scuppered, Bassong and BAE (Ivory Coast), and Keane and hopefully O Hara for Ireland. We have a whole squad of international class players, and they will always be aiming to show themselves well.

Dean Parett gone on loan to aldershot town

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Dean Parett gone on loan to aldershot town

Good. He's very highly rated so hopefully he can get the necessary experience to bring him along nicely.

Have huge hopes bostock, mason, parett and obika to be the backbone of the team in the future they seem to be really coming along playing well in league one & two hopefully they can make the step up.

Advertisement