Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Transfer Thread - Ins/Outs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

RichMc70 wrote: »
    I'm with you regarding the Central Defender situation though. Ledley is somewhat of a liability in that he manages to play through the pain for the glamour games but is then lying on the treatment table come the 'bread and butter' fixtures. It does de-stabilise the team IMO.

After watching the two Wembley Cup Friendlies (and remembereing they were only friendlies) it still concerns me how we played defensively. I don't know what to suggest, as top class centre backs seem very hard to come by these days. Ledley and Woody completely injury free are top class but it's not often that theyre injury free. Should we sacrifice strength in other areas of the team to bolster this position?

Agree with you there.

One player who is being mention with other clubs and surprisingly not us is Distin, he is a very good player, he's only 31 and super fit, Harry knows him aswell, and the talk is he is available for 3 or 5 million depending where you read it, I would definately sign him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

crouch will hold the ball up and bring modric / defoe / jenas into the play . we havent had a player who can hold up the ball since berba left so its a positive for us. dont understand the viera thing either, where will he play. harry loves jenas and wont drop him

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Looks like Darren Bent is going to Sunderland and judging by reports we'll be getting back most of the £16.5m we paid for him.

I know people will say he never got much of a run in our side but (IMO) even with the few opportunities he got, he just didn't show enough.

bent was never good enough. he has had loads of glaring misses over the years. bring in crouch now for 10 and a centre half with the rest of the money

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

lee catermole anyone instead of viera anyone?
    Bent was unconvincing maybe he was never fully match sharp but still i rekon keane or defoe would of scored as much or more if they where in the team from the begining of last season.
    Don't see huntelaar coming anymore:(
    centre half who tho?

• Advertisement

we need to get rid of keane too, he looks like he wants to retire. has been no good since returning from liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I am completely underwhelmed by Crouch. I can't see how he is much of an improvement over what we currently have.

cos he can hold the ball up and bring the attacking midfielders into the game. we mite also get a few goals from headers this season!!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Maybe I am bucking the popular consensus but I would be quietly delighted if we sign Viera.

1 - We have no experience. I know he is past his best but Naybet and Davids were also past there prime when they came but they were real old pros. The experience both in playing terms and leadership he will give to the squad will be invaluable and yes he will still provide steel next to Palacios. PL, FA CUP, EURO CUP, WORLD CUP winner. It will help our current squad to no end.

Sure if we hate every player who wore the scum shirt then we should be booing O'Hara.

2 - How can you not love the fact that we will forever jilt what would have been a legend player for the scum? It warms my heart to know we will take that from them.

OH and also happy with Crouch as well even if it's a classic THFC sign a player two years too late scenario. Should have got him when he joined Pompey. We have to have variety in the strike force and Crouchy will give us that. Wish we could offload Keano somehow in all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

subfreq wrote: »
    Maybe I am bucking the popular consensus but I would be quietly delighted if we sign Viera.

1 - We have no experience. I know he is past his best but Naybet and Davids were also past there prime when they came but they were real old pros. The experience both in playing terms and leadership he will give to the squad will be invaluable and yes he will still provide steel next to Palacios. PL, FA CUP, EURO CUP, WORLD CUP winner. It will help our current squad to no end.

Sure if we hate every player who wore the scum shirt then we should be booing O'Hara.

2 - How can you not love the fact that we will forever jilt what would have been a legend player for the scum? It warms my heart to know we will take that from them.

OH and also happy with Crouch as well even if it's a classic THFC sign a player two years too late scenario. Should have got him when he joined Pompey. We have to have variety in the strike force and Crouchy will give us that. Wish we could offload Keano somehow in all this.

Couldnt agree with you more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Couldnt agree with you more.
    i'm really happy with viera. I think we should get campbell back too....

viera? that deal is no where near being done. prob wont as he wont want to piss off the arsenal fans

mickman wrote: »
    viera? that deal is no where near being done. prob wont as he wont want to piss off the arsenal fans
    sorry, i forgot the little sarcastic face!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

cos he can hold the ball up and bring the attacking midfielders into the game. we mite also get a few goals from headers this season!!
    That's the one thing I will agree with about Crouch,for the first time in a long while we will have some Ariel power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I'm happy with Crouch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

tippspur wrote: »
    That's the one thing I will agree with about Crouch,for the first time in a long while we will have some Ariel power.
    Is that a new washing powder!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

crouch and defoe hopefully it works as well as it did at pompey if they become the first choice pairing id expect 30+ between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

tippspur wrote: »

More clean sheets too?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Woodgate wrote: »

Oops...replied to Tippspurs post without having read your reply, Woodgate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Woodgate wrote: »
    Feck that,get away with little around here.:o

• Advertisement

HR admits he would move for Hunterlaar if Bent moves on (sky sports). Just hope Levy doesn't p1ss about for too long squeezing every last penny out of sunderland...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Who would go if we got him in? Keane or Pav? Defoe definitely won't go, and obviously neither will Crouch, so it's between the other two. What about our defensive options though? We should be looking at spending that money on a really good defender.

keane has to go - he is terrible

king will start the new season as will woody. woody is not injured - he has a niggling injury that he had all last season that he is getting looked at but it wont stop him playing. dawson is the only one out for the start for sure. huddlestone can play CB as can corluka, and naughton can play right back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

keane has to go - he is terrible

king will start the new season as will woody. woody is not injured - he has a niggling injury that he had all last season that he is getting looked at but it wont stop him playing. dawson is the only one out for the start for sure. huddlestone can play CB as can corluka, and naughton can play right back

Keane is like the ultimate spurs servant and best striker there

is that last comment a joke?

have you seen him since he arrived back at the club, he has been crap. total rubbish. he gave away the ball so many times against west ham it was embarrassing to watch

your hero is about to start the season on the bench and stripped of the captains armband

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

your hero is about to start the season on the bench and stripped of the captains armband[/quote]

I wouldn't go as far as to say he is my hero but i think he is a big influence on the team just like when the king plays:o

• Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Twitter lands Bent in trouble.
    Darren Bent is at the centre of a transfer controversy after comments attributed to him were posted on an internet networking site. The 25-year-old striker has reportedly hit out at Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy as his proposed move to Sunderland drags on.
    A Twitter account in Bent’s name last night carried a series of scathing attacks on Levy, who is said to be playing hardball with the Black Cats over the fee for player.
    “Seriously getting p***ed off now,” read the first message.
    Bent then went on to add: “Why can’t anything be simple?
    “Sunderland are not the problem in the slightest.
    “Do I wanna go Hull City? NO. Do I wanna go Stoke? NO. Do I wanna go Sunderland YES.”
    It is thought Levy is attempting to recoup the €18 million that Tottenham paid to sign Bent from Charlton two years ago, while Sunderland were hoping to pay €14 million rising to €16 million.
    The move had seemed to be imminent when Bent was pulled off Tottenham’s trip to China at the last minute on Monday, but little progress has been made since.
    Bent finished as Tottenham’s leading goalscorer with 17 last season.
    Early this morning, the account in Bent’s name was removed from Twitter. Anyone logging in to the account, db10thetruth, found a message saying ‘This page does not exist’.

king is ten times the player keane is .all keane does is lose the ball, walk around the place throwing his arms up in the air and give out to the ref. pathetic

SuprSi wrote: »
    Who would go if we got him in? Keane or Pav? Defoe definitely won't go, and obviously neither will Crouch, so it's between the other two. What about our defensive options though? We should be looking at spending that money on a really good defender.
    I think probably pav if we got our money back. keane too big an influence in the dressing room although i agree is powers are on the decline. i'm hoping harry can plug the defensive cover on the cheap (maybe an experienced campaigner like naybet on a free just to be cover for king/wood)

• Advertisement

we dont need cover at the back. corluka, woodgate, king, chimbonda, huddlestone, dawson can all play centre half.

pav has ability and will get better. keane will just get worse. if we got 8 million from celtic now, get rid

Advertisement