Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Laptop" Format Policy for the LC

Options
  • 01-06-2009 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Basically I have to pay €150 to get it formatted and get a formal receipt to prove it. Why can't I just format it myself? It makes absolutely no difference.
    Seriously, does anyone else having any experience with this? I'm finding it absolutely ludicrous that I have to pay so much money for this that should come as a right to me for the exams anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Beau x1 wrote:
    should come as a right to me for the exams anyway.

Right? Are you in some way disabled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I don't see the point of it unless it is delivered directly to the school after formatting and kept in a secure place.

Takes a few seconds to dump in a load of ( very ) hidden files

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

jimi_t wrote: »
    Right? Are you in some way disabled?
    As a matter of fact I am. You should learn some fcuking manners btw.

bushy... wrote: »
    I don't see the point of it unless it is delivered directly to the school after formatting and kept in a secure place.

Takes a few seconds to dump in a load of ( very ) hidden files
    That's exactly how I see it..I'm just looking to see if other people have experience of having to go through this expensive process. I was only notified less than a week ago too, I think it's a bit short notice for this kind of thing TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Beau x1 wrote: »
    As a matter of fact I am. You should learn some fcuking manners btw.

I think your the one who needs manners . all they asked is were you disabled. With that type of atitude will get you nowhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I'm finding it absolutely ludicrous that I have to pay so much money for this that should come as a right to me for the exams anyway.

I find it ludicrous for a few reasons :

€150 for format and re-install of a laptop ( they usually come with restore disk/partition)

Unless it taken and held by the school until the exam you can load up a pile of "hints" in a few seconds.
    The half-wit who came up with the "formatting policy" won't find them.

Very easy to do : set up an AccessPoint in a car across the road. You can use IRC chat just from the commandline , no additional programs needed.

BVB wrote: »
    I think your the one who needs manners . all they asked is were you disabled. With that type of atitude will get you nowhere
    No..I have no problem with him asking that, it's how he quoted me and questioned if I actually had a 'right' to use the laptop as if I was coming on here disgusted about a policy that has absolutely no relevance to me.

He just thought he was being a smartass questioning the authenticity of my thread, and he damn well knows that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I have never heard of this policy before. How does one get a certificate to prove it? Is there a list of approved laptop formatters? Surely the point of the certificate is nill unless the laptop is formatted, handed in and then checked and given back to the applicant at the time of the exam in any case?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Beau, I'd ask on the teaching and lecturing forum, I'd say they'd know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

No..I have no problem with him asking that, it's how he quoted me and questioned if I actually had a 'right' to use the laptop as if I was coming on here disgusted about a policy that has absolutely no relevance to me.

He just thought he was being a smartass questioning the authenticity of my thread, and he damn well knows that.

Wow. Chill out. You never mentioned you were disabled in your first post, it was completely unclear what the story was. Take it easy.

Yeah, it is stupid that they handle it this way, and the short notice, and the ridiculous cost.

But you won't be finding a lot of sympathy the way you're going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Don't expect any help with that type of attitude :)

Jesus, guys. I can see where you're coming from, but I just interpreted it in a completely condescending and patronising way in which form he quotated me as if I was some clown coming on here pretending I can just waltz in with a laptop, sit down and use it. Felt a very unnecessary approach to ask me a question if I was 'disabled', as if he was taking the píss or something since it's pretty damn obvious that I would have had the paper work sorted out by now.

@Fad: I'll ask in the teacher/lecturing forum, thanks.

Edit: I don't want to cheat, either! I'm questioning the need to pay for an irrelevent service!

Mr.S wrote: »
    It takes what, 1 or 2 clicks to activate them again?

Could they not just like, have an essay pre written on a memory card, plug it in when no ones looking. Copy/paste, plug back out? it would take all of 30 seconds, less even :confused:
    I dunno if its true but I think you have to save copies of your exam at separate intervals to determine the legitimacy of your exam performance (e.g. it would look pretty dodge if 30 minutes later you've your whole Macbeth, Comparative Study and Poetry question finished up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

@BeauX1 - I'll put the last 3 or 4 posts down to pre-LC stress. There are any number of reasons as to why you would have a laptop or aide in the exam; students with long-term disability being the statistically smallest demographic each year.

jimi_t wrote: »
    @BeauX1 - I'll put the last 3 or 4 posts down to pre-LC stress. There are any number of reasons as to why you would have a laptop or aide in the exam; students with long-term disability being the statistically smallest demographic each year.
    Exactly, though. Fair enough but it's pretty evident I'm disabled on paper like. I'm not talking about being brain dead in a wheelchair but I created this thread to get answers during the stressful time and that's what it felt like you were asking me, haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

I did the LC a laptop many moons ago so the procedure may be somewhat different now, but I had to submit my laptop to the school to have it checked over a week or so beforehand and then it was rechecked by the examiner on the morning of the first exam to make sure the networking & spell check were still disabled.

Then for the duration of the exam they are sat next to you to make sure you are actually typing our answers, and not just copying and pasting stuff, re-enabling spell check or whatever.

Ask one your teachers and they'll be able to clue you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

What do you mean disabled on paper if you dont mind me asking. You cant write? or....

If ya dont wanna answer thats fine. Im just curious.

Essentially it solely means my writings so horrendous that I get to use the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Basically I have to pay €150 to get it formatted and get a formal receipt to prove it. Why can't I just format it myself? It makes absolutely no difference.
    Seriously, does anyone else having any experience with this? I'm finding it absolutely ludicrous that I have to pay so much money for this that should come as a right to me for the exams anyway.

There two distinct type of formats. One is a high level format, i.e the computer doesn't allow the user see the file but they are still on the disc so they can be recovered.

Low level format cleans the entire drive and rights 0 bits in the free space efficitively totally wiping the disc. No recovery is possible without some serious gear.

When you say format, I presume you have to reload the OS?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd be writing 0 all across the whole hardrive if I was to do it myself.

Then I'd lash the XP disk in. Then I'd install Word 07.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Can you not just use a laptop provided by the SEC?Like say you don't have your own?

Personally I'd hate to have to format my laptop for any reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Essentially it solely means my writings so horrendous that I get to use the laptop.

Thanks.
    My friend needs that, really smart but his writings really hard to read.

Id love to have a laptop just so I wouldnt have to take down crappy notes in class.

I dunno. The whole thing is terribly organised.

I'm sure it'll be fine though. Hate to be handwriting exams though!

@Swizz: Yeah, it's handy but it's annoying for diagrams which I usually hand draw.

Time for something to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

It would be interesting to know what kind of erase procedure is used.

Data is recoverable after a single zero pass. Very easily.
    ironclaw wrote: »
    Low level format cleans the entire drive and rights 0 bits in the free space efficitively totally wiping the disc. No recovery is possible without some serious gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I would have questioned it in the exact same way and I'm a teacher. That attitude will get you nowhere.

It was a simple question. And in my experience computer/laptop facilities are provided in the school for a student that has the use of them for the purpose of the exams, we've had a few students use a computer over the last couple of years and they've never had to supply the computer. Not all students would have them anyway, so it would be discriminatory to expect them to supply their own laptop. So it would be a bit unusual to ask a student to do so in my experience.

When you applied for special accommodations in the exams did you say anywhere on the application what you wanted and if you would provide your own laptop.. or have you misread whatever information the SEC sent you and perhaps it says that the laptop you work on will have to meet these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Amalgam wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know what kind of erase procedure is used.

Data is recoverable after a single zero pass. Very easily.

Whether there are files on the laptop or not I don't think is particularly relevant, the student will have a supervisor sitting beside them during the exam, and they will be in a room on their own so they can't really do much except type their answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Guys, stop with the personal insults or some responsible moderator will start handing out bans.

I would have questioned it in the exact same way and I'm a teacher.
    I'm not sure why you're trying to engage in a what is a now dead controversial dispute, but - surprisingly, people have different perceptions of things and opinions are indeed subjective. Personally I think there's a more polite way to ask that sort of thing.
    That attitude will get you nowhere.
    After hearing that I definitely believe you are a teacher :rolleyes:
    It was a simple question.
    Indeed it was. It was the way it was phrased, however.
    When you applied for special accommodations in the exams did you say anywhere on the application what you wanted and if you would provide your own laptop.. or have you misread whatever information the SEC sent you and perhaps it says that the laptop you work on will have to meet these conditions.
    A staff member in the school applied for us, so I'm assuming he probably listed that the external provision of laptops was not a necessity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You could always make a complete image of your hard drive before (using Acronis or some other program), and store it somewhere else (e.g external HD). Then you could pay to get it formatted (which is a joke really, but it's probably necessary). After all the exams are over, copy the image back and you will have the laptop exactly the way it was when you created the image.

Advertisement