Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo healing

Options
  • 01-06-2009 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey. My gf had a back piece done last Wednesday and we followed the advice to apply Savlon cream for the first two days then switch to an unperfumed moisturiser, which we did other than use Savlon gel instead of cream. It is now in its 5th day and the healing process doesnt seem to be following the routine pattern. There are some pieces of the work that look kinda "mushy" and it looks like the ink has totally fallen out of one of the snake heads. There are some scabs which appear normal but alot of it seems 'mushy'. I am concerned as I know nothing about tattoo aftercare and I am worried I may have applied too much moisturiser (aqueous cream), which I have read can cause the mushiness. Also, she hasn't cleaned it with an antibacterial soap at all as we weren't advised to do so and there is a smell coming from it that is similar to how an infected cut would smell.

Is there anybody with professional expertise that could help? Her tattoist is not back to work until tomorrow, although as she is a Doctor it is very difficult for her to get time off to go see him anyway.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Try "Preperation H" I use it on mine it heals faster with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fazza08

carly_86 wrote: »
    Try "Preperation H" I use it on mine it heals faster with it

Thanks Carly, appreciate your response, but I was more looking for advice on what to do about how the scabbing has gone mushy and if it was to do with excessive moisturiser. Obviously we are concerned we may have permanently damaged the tattoo and need to know if there is a best way to recover it back to a normal drying out state. Just a recommendation of a moisturiser type isnt really what I was after, but as I said, thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd say to stary gently washing the tattoo with a mild anti-bacterial soap a couple of times a day, gently patting it dry with kitchen paper, then once dry, applying bepanthen cream (Preparation H would do the job too, but smells funny).

If it doesn't improve in a couple of days, take a trip in to the tattoo artist again to get them to have a look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fazza08

Thanks DamoElDiablo, much appreciated.

Further research has told us we made a couple of mistakes, firstly not washing the tattoo area for the first 4-5 days, secondly my gf wore a tee shirt that was too tight on Day 2 and it stuck to the tattoo in 2 or 3 small areas as it was still oozing plasma at that time and lastly over moisturising istead of just applying a light film of moisturiser. Consequently, I went out and bought an antibacterial soap (brand is Simple which has no perfume or alcohol) and washed it last night and this morning gently with my fingers (she cannot reach it and cannot see it well as its covering all of her upper back). Secondly, we have discontinued use of the moisturiser for the time being to let the scabs dry out naturally which they have already started doing. So I guess we followed your advice about the soap prior to your reply, but thanks so much anyway - really appreciate it. I might suggest the bepanthen to her now the 'mushy' scabs have dried. There is still one small patch we are a little concerned about which may not look as good once healed, we are just hoping it can be touched up afterwards.

As good as the tattoo studio she went to is (the owner has worked on many famous rock stars and been in business for over 30 years), we got very limited advice on aftercare and her artist must have assumed she already knew how to care for the tattoo as she has 3 already, but they are only small and in more easily accessible areas, plus she got them years ago and can't remember how she cared for them!

SO there is a lesson to be learnt for all first timers here...don't forget to wash with a mild unperfumed antibacterial soap (fingers only, no washcloths) and don't cake on the moisturiser, whatever you choose to use, as the moisture in the cream (we used Aqueous Cream) gets trapped under the scabs and forms 'mushy' bubbles which affect the healing process!

Thanks again DamoElDiablo...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I would think that a touch-up would be necessary if the colour has fallen out of the tattoo - the tattoo artist should offer to do this in a few weeks, either for free or for a small fee. Personally, I would stick to the Bepanthen till the scabs were gone, then change to moisturiser. BTW, if you have any photos, stick them in the "I'll show you mine..." thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

No problem, just a shame that you had to find this out the hard way!

Advertisement