Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bio germination

Options
  • 01-06-2009 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Can someone explain the development of the pollen grain and ovule and embryo sac and all that? And rather simply? I'm good with plants bar this.

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

Can someone explain the development of the pollen grain and ovule and embryo sac and all that? And rather simply? I'm good with plants bar this.

Thanks a mil

formation of male gametes:
    anther is made up of four chambers called pollen sacs.
    each pollen sac has a layer of diploid cells called microspore mother cells.
    microsposre mother cells divide by meiosis to for a group of four pollen cells called a tetrad.
    tetrad splits apart to form four individual pollen grains.
    immature pollen grains = microspore.
    each has a haploid nucleus
    halves my mitosis to form 2 haploid nuclei. one of these does not divide any more (tube nucleus) and the second (generative nucleus) divides my mitosis to form two sperm nuclei. these are the male gametes

female gametes
    each ovule has two walls called integuments. small openings in integuments called mycropyle, where the pollen tube can enter the ovule.
    bulk of ovule consists of diploid nourishing cells = nucellus
    megaspore mother cell is a single diploid cell in centre of ovule which divides by meiosis to for embryo sac which contains 4 haploid nuclei. 3 of these die. the 4th divided by mitosis 3x to form 8 haploid nuclei
    one beecomes egg nucleus which fors egg celll. the other 2 become polar nuclei (other 5 die off)
    egg cell + polar nuclei are femate gametes

hope thats helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RuehlTheWorld

That's fantastic really to the point, thanks so much!

Good luck next week!

Advertisement