Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with CF card or camera?

• 01-06-2009 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I bought Nikon D300 (second hand, about 16k actuations) and Kingston CompactFlash 16G(not used:))
    When shooting sometimes error occurs: Cant read from the card, replace it, or something like that. Im turning of the camer, taking out the card, putting it back and its works again! It happens sometimes after 1-2 shots, sometimes its fine for about 500-700.
    Is it problem with CompactFlash card or with camera?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Wow, a 16GB card is huge. I only use 4GB Sandisk cards, and I've never had any problems with my D300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Simple thing, did you try a different compact flash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Also, are you formatting the card in the camera or a pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sonya.Max

Unfortunantly I don't have another card yet.

I'm formating the card in camera. Should I do it when connecte3d to PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

The card sounds like a high capacity flash card. Buy a smaller one (4GB max) and retest.

• Advertisement

I ordered 4G, should get it this week. And I'll see what happens;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Where are you?
    Maybe a boards member close by, could lend you a card to try?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Any card that gives faults is scary. Sooner or later you are going to loose a shoot & with a 16GB card there is a lot to loose. I get about 121 images on a 4GB Card on my D300, so you could have almost 500 images on that card when it goes mamories skyward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Could have a lot more than that tbh. Saturday I got 933 RAW files onto an 8gb CF card. Don't ask how, but I did. :D

I live in Mountmellick, Co Laois.

CabanSail When it happened first time I thought that I've lost all my photos, but they were alright.
    As the camera says I can make with that card about 1000 RAW, and 2100 JPEG:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

My D70s would hold about 700 RAW on a 4GB, but that was a 6MP sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

My a200 says it holds 254 shots but it usually holds a little bit more, maybe 270.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I picked up a spare SanDisk 4GB Extreme III card off Amazon last week for €30 delivered...not a bad deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

CabanSail wrote: »
    Any card that gives faults is scary. Sooner or later you are going to loose a shoot & with a 16GB card there is a lot to loose. I get about 121 images on a 4GB Card on my D300, so you could have almost 500 images on that card when it goes mamories skyward.

Im lost here. How do you only get 121 images on 4ig card?

I use Sandisk 4 gig extreme 3 and in Large I get 950, Medium about 1,400 and I small about 2,000 all jpeg. I get about 300 raw. (Oh I never use small). I use Canon 40d

Sorry .... My mistake. I get about 212 on a 4GB card.

Advertisement