Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLANE 2009 Oasis - All Discussion - No ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    So you spent roughly 4 hours yesterday queueing for drinks. Nice. Considering the gates opened around 2 and the bars closed at 10 you spent roughly half the day queueing for drink. Nice. Kudos on the drink driving too.

Fist 2 runs bar had no queue, 15 mins third 25 then 35, wife drove home as I was locked and loaded by the end.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Anymore personal abuse results in a two week ban. This means calling someone a tool or any other insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Yes but I got there early so I got to see all the bands and didn't miss anything queueing for pints. Missing 3 sounds at the end isn't that big of a deal.

Fair enough, you got a good day out of it. But is it fair that people that aren't interested in seeing the blizzards/glas vegas etc and want to watch the whole headline act's set (the majority) should be subjected to misery? We paid to see Oasis at Slane Castle, not a fun afternoon in the park!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Rougies wrote: »
    Fair enough, you got a good day out of it. But is it fair that people that aren't interested in seeing the blizzards/glas vegas etc and want to watch the whole headline act's set (the majority) should be subjected to misery? We paid to see Oasis at Slane Castle, not a fun afternoon in the park!
    Yeah but why didn't you arrive early anyway; you didn't have to be in the pit for the first 3 bands.. we just sat on the hill drinking and could hear and see the bands. You obviously valued your comfort more than the music you paid to see if you didn't wake up earlier in the day. If you leave it so late to see the last 2 bands you're just asking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

If you leave it so late to see the last 2 bands you're just asking for it.

No. You're not. The throngs of people and incessant walking and queuing as well as the fact that so many people were left stranded at the end of the night were as a direct result of the organiser's inability to manage the event properly and cater for the 80,000 strong crowd. It had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that some people chose to show up later. If anything that would make the influx of concert goers lighter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Dublin Bus fiasco sounds like twas a nightmare!.. Had a great experience myself..1st time at Slane. My friend lost her ticket on the way in..by the sounds of it if we were later she wouldnt have needed it but after a walk back to the car parks, a steward had found the exact ticket! lucky or what?
    We arrived into the grounds at about half 2.. no ques anywhere really. found a spot for the blizzards, thought they were brilliant. Got food which was disgusting and over priced but tis expected really. Thought Glasvegas were ****e to be honest..

Really enjoyed Kasabian and The Prodigy really got the crowd going! Oasis were just brilliant. really enjoyed it and the fireworks as we were leaving. Took us about an hour to get back to the car, and we were back in Dublin at about 1.30am. Twas a brilliant day and I would go back to Slane, only down point was getting kicked the back.. was sitting down on the grass and some ****ing scum behind us were jumping around (?) or on the ground and got a whack into my back.. erra got over it after awhile! ****ing hurt tho! There seemed to be no security around the crowds.. people around us doing all sorts of drugs!
    great day in all i must say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bemused@itall

NickNolte wrote: »
    I assumed that there would be at least some level of organisational competency. Nobody warned me that what happened might happen. Suffice to say, I'd be warning anyone and everyone that I hear are planning to go to Slane again about what a complete and utter shambles it is.
    I agree with you, I'll be doing the same- my own experience was so disapointing- & I'm emphasing that word strongly,as for the TRANSPORT or should I say the lack of it- I took a look at Dublin Buses' customer charter online- I hope that Mr. Meagher 'chief highyah watha' is bombarded with complaints- wonder was any of his own family stuck down there? like the 17 yr. old girl I seen wondering around sobbing her heart out, with no mates,money,phone coverage walking home the wrong way in total darkness- an experience she'll always remember- & not for the right reasons- to hell with Slane- I'll be objecting to the next planning permission request that those event organisers will be applying for- hit them where it hurts ....there POCKETS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

No. You're not. The throngs of people and incessant walking and queuing as well as the fact that so many people were left stranded at the end of the night were as a direct result of the organiser's inability to manage the event properly and cater for the 80,000 strong crowd. It had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that some people chose to show up later. If anything that would make the influx of concert goers lighter.
    Well you evidently were asking for it; those who turned up early didn't have to queue at all, those who didn't turn up early did. Follow? Next time don't show up so late.
    The end of the gig was a shambles for everyone though and was inexcusable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 samsamson1

hey guys im new to this board. But i am utterky disgusted by the travesty that was slane 09!!!! im a very big fan of going to gig and go to many throughout the year....but i have never seen anything as bad as yesterday. I will say that the started ok.....but i endured a 5 hour walk last night to get a bus to dublin....arriving home @ 4.45.

The gaurds were an absoloute disgrace telling me to walk up the motor way....this is illegal, so great job our gaurds do. It was my first time @ slane and my LAST. i go to oxegen every year and wonder to myself how a whole weekend of that size can be co-ordinated so well, but a one day gig @ slane is a sham.

By right anyone who bought a dublin bus ticket should be refunded there money.

The organisers and LMC should answer to the public about what went wrong here.

Well you evidently were asking for it; those who turned up early didn't have to queue at all, those who didn't turn up early did. Follow? Next time don't show up so late.

Did the people who did arrive early ask to be stuck on a pitch dark country road until 5am as well? :rolleyes: If there were too many tickets sold and the venue and organisers couldn't handle that number of people then how is that 'asking for it'? Your reasoning is silly and massively flawed.

What? Why didn't you leave the gig early like me to avoid the crowds? Sounds like you were asking for it to be honest. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

What? Why didn't you leave the gig early like me to avoid the crowds? Sounds like you were asking for it to be honest. :rolleyes:

With respect, after paying €80 for the ticket people are entitled to stay till the end of the gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The gaurds were an absoloute disgrace telling me to walk up the motor way....this is illegal,

Which motorway? The M1? Or the N2 Dual Carraigeway at Ashbourne?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTE72

Random wrote: »
    Which motorway? The M1? Or the N2 Dual Carraigeway at Ashbourne?

Silly question really as both are as equally unsafe for pedestrians to walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

BTE72 wrote: »
    Silly question really as both are as equally unsafe for pedestrians to walk.
    Was just curious as one is 10KM from Slane and the other is 20KM. I didn't think the crowds had got that far.

The N2 alone from Slane is bad enough though so if you got as far as those roads .. it gets worse.

wexican wrote: »
    With respect, after paying €80 for the ticket people are entitled to stay till the end of the gig.

I agree. If you read the thread in context, you'll see I was being sarcastic. Yes, after paying €80 people should be entitled to stay until the end and there should be sufficient transport available as close a distance as possible to the venue to get them home safely.

Likewise, if people show up a few hours later than gate opening time, they should be able to access the gig quickly and easily and the organisers should be able to cater for the crowd and the number of tickets they have sold.

At the end of the day, it's incredible that there are a few people that were at the gig who are excusing what was an absolute travesty of organisation of an event. As I mentioned before, it just goes to show the kind of crap Irish people will put up with and what a spineless bunch of consumers we are.

I was talking to a few English lads on the bus on the way back. Like us, they left the gig early as it was quite obvious there'd be trouble getting home. They were Glastonbury veterans and go to gigs all the time. They said that last night's gig was easily the most unenjoyable experience they've ever had at any gig by a country mile (or about 8 country miles as it happened). That's saying something. Anybody who thinks that what happened yesterday is even remotely acceptable needs their heads checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

And the shambles on the way in was excusable because the majority of people didn't forsee it in thier crystal balls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

To all those who say "Go to venue early" can you not see the flaw in your argument? If 80k arrived at 12pm then it would take many hours to get them into place anyway, people arriving at different times makes the queuing easier.
    And not everyone can make it to venue early for work,personal/family reasons and it is a very long day and some people cant face 12-15 hours drinking walking singing etc.
    The organisers should state arrival times if important but never do. I was there with only one other mate and we only wanted to see KAsabian, Prodigy and Oasis so arrived there at 5pm hoping to get to hill in time for KAsabian at 5.30, we got in (battered and bruised) at close to 7pm, not everyone is there for a long day out.

I agree. If you read the thread in context, you'll see I was being sarcastic. Yes, after paying €80 people should be entitled to stay until the end and there should be sufficient transport available as close a distance as possible to the venue to get them home safely.

Likewise, if people show up a few hours later than gate opening time, they should be able to access the gig quickly and easily and the organisers should be able to cater for the crowd and the number of tickets they have sold.

At the end of the day, it's incredible that there are a few people that were at the gig who are excusing what was an absolute travesty of organisation of an event. As I mentioned before, it just goes to show the kind of crap Irish people will put up with and what a spineless bunch of consumers we are.

I was talking to a few English lads on the bus on the way back. Like us, they left the gig early as it was quite obvious there'd be trouble getting home. They were Glastonbury veterans and go to gigs all the time. They said that last night's gig was easily the most unenjoyable experience they've ever had at any gig by a country mile (or about 8 country miles as it happened). That's saying something. Anybody who thinks that what happened yesterday is even remotely acceptable needs their heads checked.

Yeah, met a load of socttish people who were pissed off about the whole thing too. Worst they'd ever experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Random wrote: »
    Was just curious as one is 10KM from Slane and the other is 20KM. I didn't think the crowds had got that far.

The N2 alone from Slane is bad enough though so if you got as far as those roads .. it gets worse.

I know I was walking for 4 hours anyway and the road was full of people. I prolly didn't get this far, all I know is we stopped at a small petrol station where a guard had block off half the road and he said there would be buses there. Until then everyone told us to keep walking!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Enough of the petty squabbling - take it to PM to kiss and make up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

maybe just aybe 80,000 is too many people to enjoy any gig

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

A spokeswoman for Dublin Bus told The Irish Times the company had “everyone on a bus by 2am”.

This is absolute and total bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    A spokeswoman for Dublin Bus told The Irish Times the company had “everyone on a bus by 2am”.

This is absolute and total bollocks

I didn't get on one until 3 and even if it was 2, that's still completely unacceptable!!!

Yeah exactly, personally i was ok and in a bus around 12ish but didnt move out of slane till after 3 and there were still loads of people walking right up to and past the garda checkpoint and once we past them there were still people on the roadside looking lost and not knowing what to do.

****ing shambles, and ya can just imagine that spokeswoman making that statement with some sense of accomplishment on behalf of Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

An awful lot of people left early as well. I seen a good 2,000 people easily leave the gig early, so many people I was told said "I would never go see Oasis again" a lot of people said pure sh*t.

Sure the buses back will tell ya something the bus I was on people were singing a couple of songs but not Oasis or any of the other acts songs. Everybody just looked .. dejected and the bus I was on didn't have any trouble getting out so it wasn't that. Another person on a bus (driving) said that a couple of the lads were trying to get people going saying "Everybody was all cheery on the way down what happened" so the gig wasn't all that in a lot of peoples eyes not just mine.

The gig was fantastic last night but the organisation was an absolute disgrace…we arrived early…1 hour queues for beer not fun but I didn’t mind that so much...we had bus tickets but we had to walk for over 4 hours and around 7-9 miles in the dark with no idea how we were going to get a lift!!!...we were unsure if we were ever going to get home – we had to beg a taxi driver and pay way over the odds to get a lift (btw the taxi driver told us we were 13km from Slane)…

On the dark dangerous road we passed THOUSANDS of stranded people along the way, many lying in ditches, many crying, many looking scared and lost and with no idea of where to go or how to get home…it was a surreal, frightening and horrible experience…many of the buses were over-packed, going nowhere with people inevitably fighting on them…there must have been loads of people who never even made it home…I love music and I love big live concerts; Slane inside is an amazing venue but I will never ever go back…someone must be held account for this – Dublin Bus, the Guards and the event organisers have a lot to answer for…

Den Loughran from Donnybrook said he had to walk for more than four hours in the dark despite having a bus ticket.

“In the end we had to beg a taxi driver and pay way over the odds to get a lift. On the road we passed thousands of stranded people, many lying in ditches, many crying, many looking scared and lost and with no idea of where to go or how to get home.

“It was a surreal, frightening and horrible experience. Many of the buses were overcrowded and going nowhere with people inevitably fighting on them. There must have been loads of people who never even made it home.”

Did you write into them about this mate?

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    An awful lot of people left early as well. I seen a good 2,000 people easily leave the gig early, so many people I was told said "I would never go see Oasis again" a lot of people said pure sh*t.

Sure the buses back will tell ya something the bus I was on people were singing a couple of songs but not Oasis or any of the other acts songs. Everybody just looked .. dejected and the bus I was on didn't have any trouble getting out so it wasn't that. Another person on a bus (driving) said that a couple of the lads were trying to get people going saying "Everybody was all cheery on the way down what happened" so the gig wasn't all that in a lot of peoples eyes not just mine.

I dont mind peoples opinions on whether they liked Oasis or not.

Personally, I loved every minute of them. I was down by the stage and it was pretty electric.

The reason our bus was so dejected is that we moved maybe 500 yards over about 3 hours.:mad:

EDIT: also not being informed what the **** was happening and no order or system in place and also having to walk a ridiculous distance to just get to a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Fair enough

A lot of people are blaming Dublin Bus for things that aren't there fault in all fairness. Like the not getting off the bus till 4 or whatever... Its hardly there fault do you think Bus Drivers wanna sit on the bus? It just annoys me when people give out about things that are not their fault.. they deserve grief for a lot of things they did but some of it wasn't their fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

hopefully with the disaster that was the transport, people wont forget that the concert was brilliant and that oasis were fantastic. :)

my weekend ended perfectly when we met Liam in the airport on Sunday evening :D!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement