Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLANE 2009 Oasis - All Discussion - No ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

woodzyx wrote: »
    It's the official figure but seeing as tickets weren't even being checked, we can probably say that there was up to 100,000 there.

+1
    there was definately more than 80000 there, thats for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

AlekSmart wrote: »
    A big +1 to that.

However I do concur with Wile.E.Coyote in respect of peoples expectations in relation to attending such an event in a small town such as Slane.

I did one trip to Slane in the early afternoon and even at 14.30 things were going seriously awry in terms of crowd control and stewarding.

I have worked on Slane Gigs for 15 years and without doubt the single most Important issue is CO-OPERATION between the Agencies.

It represents a Risk Factor way beyond what a court of law would deem acceptable for a proffessional operator.

ALL that is required is a fully agreed PLAN,with somebody In-Charge and no deviations permitted from whatever is agreed...however this is Éire so I`m not holding my breath !!! :cool:

Fantastic post and the one that has made most sense to me in this whole thread. I wasn't at Slane this year but have been numerous times before and have experienced the joy of trying to get back to Dublin from it.

Simple planning is all that is required like you've outlined. I was at Bon Jovi in punchestown and the transport setup was brilliant imo and something like that should be done for Slane in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jane1979

wexican wrote: »
    With respect, after paying €80 for the ticket people are entitled to stay till the end of the gig.

You 100% right. You deserve to be there until show is over. I left 5-10min before show finished and I was the same like 50000 people who are complaining about all these things about trafic today. Got home at 4.15am. So...what`s the story morning glory???

TripleAce wrote: »
    Really 80,000 people were at the concert? Is this official figure or just a guess?

I`d say there were more than 80000 people

Yes, I was at Bon Jovi in Punchestown and we got on the bus in 10min. Everything was well organized. I was at Rolling Stones in Slane almost 2years ago and it was OK. But this time....disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,097 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Definately more than 80,000 there. The Stones was organised better. I got back to Navan at 12, and headed to the Palace. It wasn't their best ever gig, but there was a few good moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

We camped.
    There at noon and had no problems with access in or out (back entrance).

Despite that I doubt I would go again.
    The crowd was not safe.
    Facilities and services were simply inadequate for a crowd of that scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭thedudeinthehat

mark2007 wrote: »
    i realise this is a forum form people to either write good or bad things but simple spend your time writing emails to dublin buses and mcd asking for immediate refund for the severe lack of any organisation. the drugs and drunks are part of concerts even queing but to be honest the rest of the shambles that is slane castle was terrible and there should be plenty of people joining a new que for a refund, 80 euros for most of the day spent waiting. missed kasabian and most of prodigy! waste of a day! i agree with most people on here something should be done about this shambles so start hammering the dublin bus company and MCD and slane castle website with complaints keep them busy and get some money back

I disagree. There are two seperate issues here- One is on the organisation side- the other is on the carry on of concert goers.

Let me say on the first point that it has being covered well above.
    Lessons will be learned- there was no ill intent on the part of the organisers. They dont set out to ruin people's day. Let me talk about people who do.

Arriving on Omaha Beach - as I will call the wooded section- straight off a bus and walking past a huge crowd of k*nackers drinking cans just before the bridge.

Incident one- People lobbying half drunk cans into the new arrivals off the bus

As the crowd of people moving through the wood- from about 5pm to 7pm (2 hours yes) many people have related what happened. Let me tell you what we expierenced. I took my younger sister and mother to Oasis in Marley park a few years back and you know for the most part, people are having a few drinks- and there are a few who go to far. But thats an Oasis gig- you enjoy it.

But what I saw was two seperate queues in the woods. One queue seemed to me to consist of older, decent, patient, intelligent concert goers. We were in that queue. We accepted that things had bottle necked further above. But you just say right, well we are all in this together. Oh well. And if people have a genial mood, it can pass off with little hassle.

However. A second quere developed after about ten minutes of the stand still developing. This was at first a trickle of chancers. Then a steady stream of people pushing, shoving, laughing at the people who were patiently trudging along. I recognised some of the k*nackers from the bridge. They knocked over an eldery fellow and laughed. Most of these people were under 25. Many of them were drunk. Many of them thought they were cool (with d*ickhead Kanye West sunglasses, skinny jeans, spiked batty boy haircuts) and were sneering at the people looking on in disbelief. In fairness, some people stopped when I stood up to them, three lads in Celtic jeresys, and the crowd did genuinely stopped for a while.

10 mins later and the dam broke, thats when a bloke knocked my sister over cos she wouldnt get out of his way. I yelled and pulled him back. Two english lads in their thirties then leveled him, and said he was a disgrace. Class. I kept hearing from English people that they were used to crowd delays, but it was the selfishness, the me feinism of the crowd that was unbelievable. eventually some birds in ugg boots, ridculous aviator shades and top notch D4 accents came to a stand still behind myself and the Brits. "Oh my god" she goes "These Goys have some attitude like"

what a wench- cos we were'nt being cu*ts like her and her friends.

In the end it didnt take from the concert- but it was a disillusionment more about Irish people then about the organisation itself. Its the lack of consideration for other people- the complete view that Im here to have a good time and **** anybody who gets in the way.

Again- organisation can be improved, but a whole generation of self centred idiots will take longer to fix....

an off. another fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lampy

I have checked and there are no reports of missing persons in the area so all must have got home.

PS Dublin Bus there is a clue here it covers Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Don't know was this posted already

Dublin 98 Oasis Slane song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭robo

They are discussing this now on Liveline

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭thedudeinthehat

lampy wrote: »
    I have checked and there are no reports of missing persons in the area so all must have got home.

PS Dublin Bus there is a clue here it covers Dublin.

missing persons?

Hey Joe Duffy has it now - as predicted. worth a listen I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Two vids I took from the concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nHo2iS8PT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyq5TRMJ3to

Click the icon to watch them in 720p. :D

The Prodigy were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

robo wrote: »
    They are discussing this now on Liveline
    Go on....yea....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Call in and tell joe. There seems to be spin by organisers etc going on in media to counter the complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 iPLOD

I am still fumming at the rip off that was Slane 2009. Its was my first time there but I'm quite sure I will not be back.

I've been to gigs all over the world and I have never seen anything like the shambles that was Saturday.

Is there any way to lodge an official complaint about it?

If people don't say something it will just keep happening (as seems to be the case for the past 15 yrs)

Oh yeah, I just remebered the tunnel of deisel fumes that was the bus waiting area after the gig. What a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Noels blog.
    21/06/09

Urgh..what a hangover! Horrific. Great, great night though. As spectacles go (and I don't mean the ones you wear) Slane Castle takes some beating.

I don't think I've seen The Prodigy since Knebworth but **** me, they had it yesterday. Incredible behaviour. You gotta be good to follow Kasabian. They are.

Don't remember leaving the gig! I feel poisoned. Not looking forward to the flight home AND me and Irie Nancy have got to go to a friend's 40th tomorrow. More boozing. ****!!

Got 10 days off though so mustn't grumble.

In a bit.

GD.

http://www.oasisinet.com/DiaryArticle.aspx?n=97

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Right, well I think its only fair that I give my point of view of Slane.

I left early and got to Slane coming from the drogheda south side. There were 4 of us in the car (1 wasnt going and was only dropping us in). As we came off the motorway, we were stopped by teh Gardai and asked to see some tickets. Once shown, we went on our way. At the next checkpoint (a pub with a statue upside down in a barrel) the Garda asked to see all of our tickets (was around half 1 at the time). Was let through, and drove up for about 5 minutes. The road was then blocked so we got out an walked. We walked for a good 30 mins Id say, but I didnt really mind it. One of my mates had a bag with him, but that wasnt checked. I was searched though (I didnt have a bag!).

Our tickets were then scanned as we arrived into the walkway and got into the place at around 2:15. All the pit tickets were gone so we hung around. All was fine. Queues were non existant. As the day progressed, the queues got bigger. It was to be expected. However, the queues for the bar got ridiculous. It wasnt so much the waiting around, but the unorganised queue system. People were just joining at any point. Eventually got through and got 2 pints (around 10 mins before Prodigy came on). From then on in, it was sheer luck how quickly you progressed through the bar queue. Overall, that was as bad as Slane got during the gig.

However, the walk out was terrible. I didnt get a Dublin bus, because I knew traffic would be bad. 2 hours of a walk in wellies, in quite dark road (thanks to the build up of traffic lighting up the road). There were no signs saying where people needed to walk to, or how far. It was easily 5 or 6 miles we had to walk with everyone else. Its now Monday, both legs are strapped from the pain. I cant bend my knees and my feet are all swollen and cut. Ive no problem with a bit of a walk, but 2 hours walk was ridiculous. That was my sixth time to Slane, and I have never experienced walk/exit like that before. Back to Oxegen in 3 weeks, which Im looking forward to. Im well used to festivals but the leaving Slane was a farce. Cant really blame anyone, except to say that perhaps Slane is not suited anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sshishi

I am sorry for all of you that had a crap day, but i notice most of you arrived late, which is a shame, I took a bus from parnell square at 12.10 after 10 min q'ing arrived inside the gates at 14.00, went to loo without queing and got a drink without queing. Then enjoyed the support bands. At 16pm went to loo again and q' for 5 min. Again at 8 and q'd for 10 minutes. Q'd for two beers at 8.30 and was served at 9 which i thought was very resonable. We were delayed when leaving, it took 2.5hrs to leave slane but the day was so much i couldnt complain. Maybe next year if you give it another chance and if at all possible leave on time:D:):D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Duffy is being a bit agressive against anyone who had a problem, seems to be on the side of everyone but the concert goers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

It's on Joe Duffy now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

The gig was great, the transport problems were bad. But it was a matter of not enough entrances and exits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Lordy Henry Mounty is on Joe now...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭celticwe

The lord is on:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TAGG

I've read so much negativity about Slane, I thought I'd add our experiences...it was our first time going to Slane, and aftering umming and ahhing and admittedly against publicised advice, we decided to drive (from Dublin) - left about 12.15pm and were sat on the hill in Slane just after 2pm. No queues and very easy. We sat in the sun, watching the bands and enjoying a couple of beers (queues only developed around 5pm). Loved the Blizzards, and shame not many people were there to see them. We also bought our own food and water, so no need to pay inflated prices.

We saw the queues get busier for the beer tents, so stopped drinking...after all we'd paid to see the bands, so would rather miss beer than a brilliant live act...would have been gutted to miss Kasabian or Prodigy for a beer.

We left after Don't Look Back in Anger, and walked back to the car park listening to the final songs, we could even see the fireworks as we walked back. It was a shame not to see Champagne Supernova, but think I'll survive, particularly as we were in our car and driving back by 11pm and home by 11.45pm, where we enjoyed a few beers...they were worth the wait. For us, it was an absolutely brilliant day, and we had no problems whatsoever...maybe we were just lucky...but there were some people who had a great time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTE72

Good god people grow a pair and stop with all the moaning and bi*ching.

I think you should spend time actually reading some of the posts here.

No-one should have to walk 5-6-7 or 8 km for transport and to find no buses to take them. Also not everyone travelled in private hire because not everyone travelled in groups.

Why didn't 1 person from mcd,slane castle, AGS & Bus Eireann come up with a decent plan . ie. find a field locally, hire it and use it as a collection drop off point and a place to turn.

Coyote if spending half your night getting home is your idea of what to expect then your a sap.. Seriously.

I've been to Glasto where i've had to walk 2-3 miles across fields which is fine because there's no access but slane has access roads to navan, drogheda and dublin within 20 minutes walk of the castle.

No excusing the idiots organising this event and folk like you who roll over and accept it are fools.

30Mins - 1hr queue for bar for max 2 beers = rubbish
    4.5 HOURS walking from gig to available transport = rubbish

End of...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭celticwe

TAGG wrote: »
    I've read so much negativity about Slane, I thought I'd add our experiences...it was our first time going to Slane, and aftering umming and ahhing and admittedly against publicised advice, we decided to drive (from Dublin) - left about 12.15pm and were sat on the hill in Slane just after 2pm. No queues and very easy. We sat in the sun, watching the bands and enjoying a couple of beers (queues only developed around 5pm). Loved the Blizzards, and shame not many people were there to see them. We also bought our own food and water, so no need to pay inflated prices.

We saw the queues get busier for the beer tents, so stopped drinking...after all we'd paid to see the bands, so would rather miss beer than a brilliant live act...would have been gutted to miss Kasabian or Prodigy for a beer.

We left after Don't Look Back in Anger, and walked back to the car park listening to the final songs, we could even see the fireworks as we walked back. It was a shame not to see Champagne Supernova, but think I'll survive, particularly as we were in our car and driving back by 11pm and home by 11.45pm, where we enjoyed a few beers...they were worth the wait. For us, it was an absolutely brilliant day, and we had no problems whatsoever...maybe we were just lucky...but there were some people who had a great time!!

Most of the real problems was with people using public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

woodzyx wrote: »
    It's the official figure but seeing as tickets weren't even being checked, we can probably say that there was up to 100,000 there.
    Tickets weren't even being checked?! Seriously?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Why didn't the Barbra Streisand crowd get treated with the same disdain (going by what people are saying about J Duffy's sttitude to Joe Public, I can't actually listen to it myself at the moment) when they had the audacity to complain about organisational chaos? I heard they even had a whip-round in Ethiopia for them, such was the nature of their plight. Your average Oasis fan, on the other hand, can f*ck off with him/herself for having the nerve to complain.

Slane has basically always been sh!te. The accounts here could easily have been about Queen in 1986, the first time I went. Good to see absolutely nothing, bar the price of the ticket, has changed. It's a fantastic venue and there have been great shows there, but the rest of it, forget it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Tickets weren't even being checked?! Seriously?!
    Ten of my mates and I have tickets with the stubs still attached.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement