Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLANE 2009 Oasis - All Discussion - No ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

BTE72 wrote: »
    Good god people grow a pair and stop with all the moaning and bi*ching.

I think you should spend time actually reading some of the posts here.

No-one should have to walk 5-6-7 or 8 km for transport and to find no buses to take them. Also not everyone travelled in private hire because not everyone travelled in groups.

Why didn't 1 person from mcd,slane castle, AGS & Bus Eireann come up with a decent plan . ie. find a field locally, hire it and use it as a collection drop off point and a place to turn.

Coyote if spending half your night getting home is your idea of what to expect then your a sap.. Seriously.

I've been to Glasto where i've had to walk 2-3 miles across fields which is fine because there's no access but slane has access roads to navan, drogheda and dublin within 20 minutes walk of the castle.

No excusing the idiots organising this event and folk like you who roll over and accept it are fools.

30Mins - 1hr queue for bar for max 2 beers = rubbish
    4.5 HOURS walking from gig to available transport = rubbish

End of...

The traffic management plan was put in place and approved by Meath County Council when getting the licence.

If you think that you and the 79,999 others attending the gig are going to come straight out of the concert and onto a bus without having to walk for a while then your deluded! No one likes the walk but unfortunatly it comes with the day thats in it. As was previously pointed out you can't put a load of 12 tonne buses in a field because they'd never get out of it. Which leaves the only place to park all the buses to Dublin at the side of the road on the N2.

And your right. Slane has access from Navan, Collon and Drogheda so why didn't you use one of those entrances? There was plenty of buses going from Navan and it's not hard to get from Dublin to Navan to pick up one of those buses.

And yes the queue for the bar was long but no one put a gun to your head and forced you to the bar did they? If you wanted to drink then you have to queue. Again with 80,000 people there you can't expect to be served straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭celticwe

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Ten of my mates and I have tickets with the stubs still attached.

They just scan them,They dont rip the stub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

woodzyx wrote: »
    It's the official figure but seeing as tickets weren't even being checked, we can probably say that there was up to 100,000 there.

Take a look at photo 1 in this story
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/news-gossip/organiser-denies-gig-marred-by-chaos-1783112.html

It looks like there's a pile of people there. Last time I was there was for U2, never again after that said I, and from my vantage point on the hill at the time there never looked to be that many people. And juding by the day light I imagine it was taken well before the main bands came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TAGG

hmm ...ye both just signed up to say how brilliant slaine was and there were no issues.. a suspicious mind would think ye had a vested interest...

a fair enough assumption perhaps...but nope...I just wanted to redress the balance a bit. We had a brilliant day, saw all of the bands, suffered no queues and no problems...so just wanted to say that it can be done! (Although agree, that we were lucky not to have to suffer the public transport problem)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I am still waiting on someone to complain about the pints of yellow water that was being hurled back from the Pit. With pints 6 euro and paper cup of water 2euro. These were pint plastic glasses that were flying so I doubt it was beer. I was out of reach from the morters but wouldnt fancy a face full of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

bennyc wrote: »
    I am still waiting on someone to complain about the pints of yellow water that was being hurled back from the Pit. With pints 6 euro and paper cup of water 2euro. These were pint plastic glasses that were flying so I doubt it was beer. I was out of reach from the morters but wouldnt fancy a face full of that.
    Welcome to a day out at an outdoor Rock concert my friend. Happens everywhere not just Slane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lord Henry

One must be honest and admit that one also utilized an empty plastic vessel in order to "drain the trouser snake" to borrow a popular ruffian expression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Slicklink

hmmm I wonder how many of the positive posts resolve to MCD IP addresses......

Regardless of those who are willing to put with any other ****e as being the norm as a seasoned gig goer and grumpy oul fecker now I can conclusively say that there is a difference between acceptable organisation and plain bad lack of.

All the media massaging going on today is an acknowledgement of a problem. Quite obviously people had several issues mainly revolving around safety and travel.

Hopefully these particular organisers dont get planning ever again for Slane, because they were lucky that there wasnt a stampede or serious injuries in that forest that the majority of attendees were herded through.

MCD got it wrong. Eh few suggestions,

1. Pick a suitable venue that can be accessed via a main road not a dirt track through a badly lit unstewarded forest

2. Employ people to stagger the q's in the evnt of a backlog

3. Put more bars in for the number of people you have asked to dish out 80 euro plus. They expect a certain level of service afterall. It also ensures that people arent fighting over who is in which queue.

4. Put a damn screen showing the gig over the bar area.

5. Ensure there are adequate toilet facilities for the numbers that way you will avoid the public toilet everywhere scenerios and the resulting live open moats.

6. Insist on more garda cooperation - 2 at the crossroads isnt good enough

7. Make sure there is adequate public transport to and from the event.

People want to enjoy gigs not moan on open forums. Slane might be a suitable venue if the numbers were reduced by half. It certainly does not have the accesability for the capacity that were crammed into it on Saturday regardless of what time people arrived. But a simple observation....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Slicklink wrote: »

Regardless of those who are willing to put with any other ****e as being the norm as a seasoned gig goer and grumpy oul fecker now I can conclusively say that there is a difference between acceptable organisation and plain bad lack of.

All the media massaging going on today is an acknowledgement of a problem. Quite obviously people had several issues mainly revolving around safety and travel.

Hopefully these particular organisers dont get planning ever again for Slane, because they were lucky that there wasnt a stampede or serious injuries in that forest that the majority of attendees were herded through.

MCD got it wrong. Eh few suggestions,

1. Pick a suitable venue that can be accessed via a main road not a dirt track through a badly lit unstewarded forest

2. Employ people to stagger the q's in the evnt of a backlog

3. Put more bars in for the number of people you have asked to dish out 80 euro plus. They expect a certain level of service afterall. It also ensures that people arent fighting over who is in which queue.

4. Put a damn screen showing the gig over the bar area.

5. Ensure there are adequate toilet facilities for the numbers that way you will avoid the public toilet everywhere scenerios and the resulting live open moats.

6. Insist on more garda cooperation - 2 at the crossroads isnt good enough

7. Make sure there is adequate public transport to and from the event.

People want to enjoy gigs not moan on open forums. Slane might be a suitable venue if the numbers were reduced by half. It certainly does not have the accesability for the capacity that were crammed into it on Saturday regardless of what time people arrived. But a simple observation....

Slane has been on the go for 21 years and it's run pretty much the same every year. The fact of the matter is taht it's a huge site with a huge crowd and although it's on the N2 it's not the easiest for transportation. One expects to a long queue and a long queue back out again. The buses have to line up at the top of the hill on the Dublin side so it is a bit of a hike.

As usual with Irish concert goers they turn up late, drunk, skip queues and are generally uncooperative so no wonder that there are problems. It just doesn't happen at foreign festivals because the concert goers seem to have a better and more sensible attitude when it comes to these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

@Slicklink
    The majority of your points should be for Meath County Council not MCD.

On the point of putting a screen in the bar area it's not done for a fairly obvious reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Posts deleted as they are insulting and completely off topic. No one cares what anyone's opinion is of why they go to a gig. The thread is about Oasis in Slane, this year. Nothing else. Any more off topic little chit chats will result in a two week ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Slicklink wrote: »

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for the powers that be to tell you and if they are posting then they should be removed but I find it hard to believe that everyone had a bad day and would never return. To me it sounds kinda like the few days after a big session where you swear that your never going to drink again. You always do though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lampy

I tell ya hes the man to listen Vote 4 Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for the powers that be to tell you and if they are posting then they should be removed but I find it hard to believe that everyone had a bad day and would never return. To me it sounds kinda like the few days after a big session where you swear that your never going to drink again. You always do though!!!

I had a great time. People who can't handle a few miles walk obviously had too much to drink, and I'd blame that more than the transport problems for their unhappiness.

Anythign bad that happened was completely overshadowed by the brothers Gallagher playing a stormer.

People who say they'll never go again, all the better, less transport woes for the rest of us the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Shock!Horror!
    I'm suprised that MCD havne't released an official statement saying that the gig was great, the organisation superb, there were adequate drinking points etc. and simply threaten legal action to anyone who discusses anything to the contary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SHINNYD

no caps

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

Concert was brill.I left and walked a half hour the wrong way so I had to turn round.By the time I got a taxi (yes I seen one) it was 2.30
    My bloody legs were killing me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

No, but Wile, your point seems to be that you turned up on your own steam, had a great day, and can't get over why anybody else would complain. Fair ball to you. I'm glad you had a gas.

Fact is that not *everybody* did it that way. Nobody, not even the most niaive numpty, expects to be able to have a Vicar St experience in the middle of the Meath countryside. Complaints about the bar, as i've said before, are fair enough, but hey, if the promoter wants to cut their revenues, who the hell are we to question them. If they'd set it up properly, they'd have made a killing.

Similarly, the long walks to and from. As i've said, everybody expects that, or at least they should.

The real killer here, and it's something that didn't affect you and thus you've sidestepped it in all your posts, was the inordinate wait that people had to suffer trying to get home. As I've stated before, I saw the Stones at Slane, it's only 2 years ago, and there was nowhere near the chaos, and nothing close to the complaints afterwards to Joe Duffy et al.

Something, therefore, changed at an organisational level, and it's becoming more and more obvious that it *shoudln't* have changed.

Dude, nobody should think they'll be mollycoddled at an event like this, that some steward is gonna take your ticket and guide you to a convenient standpoint, take your order for drinks and bid you a good day. However, if Joe Public does decide to take advantage of PUBLIC transport as recommended by

a) the purveyors of said public transport
    b) the organisers
    c) an Garda Siochana

he has a legitimate right to expect the service to be adaquete. Again, we gotta be realistic, with 80,000 spilling out at roughly the same time, and a percentage of those ALL wanting to head to Dublin (which is where the real problems were, AFAIK - the Dublin Buses) inevitably there'll be people left waiting a bit longer. But what we're hearing goes far and away beyond what's to be expected.

nothing but complaints what a toyboy whingy lot some of ye are. Grow up stop having mammy looking after ye.
    Oh O wont't go there again well don't go! get over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SHINNYD

BrianD wrote: »
    Slane has been on the go for 21 years and it's run pretty much the same every year. The fact of the matter is taht it's a huge site with a huge crowd and although it's on the N2 it's not the easiest for transportation. One expects to a long queue and a long queue back out again. The buses have to line up at the top of the hill on the Dublin side so it is a bit of a hike.

As usual with Irish concert goers they turn up late, drunk, skip queues and are generally uncooperative so no wonder that there are problems. It just doesn't happen at foreign festivals because the concert goers seem to have a better and more sensible attitude when it comes to these things.
    I ARRIVED SOBER AND ON TIME!! I QUEUED AS I WAS SUPPOSE TO, AND I LEFT SOBER. SO DID THE GROUP OF 20 PEOPLE I WAS WITH. SO DONT U DARE BLAME THE "IRISH COCERT GOERS" ON THE LACK OF ORGANISATION THAT WENT INTO THE JOKE OF GIG!!! AND IF U NOTICED THERE WAS ALSO FOREIGN PPL THERE , WHO WERE EQUALLY AS DRUNK AS SOME OF THE IRISH PPL!!! SHAME ON U!

• Advertisement

The real killer here, and it's something that didn't affect you and thus you've sidestepped it in all your posts, was the inordinate wait that people had to suffer trying to get home. As I've stated before, I saw the Stones at Slane, it's only 2 years ago, and there was nowhere near the chaos, and nothing close to the complaints afterwards to Joe Duffy et al.

joe joe are ya listening to me it was woeful not since 1916 has there been a bigger let down of the public by Dublin Bus joe

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

bennyc wrote: »
    I am still waiting on someone to complain about the pints of yellow water that was being hurled back from the Pit. With pints 6 euro and paper cup of water 2euro.

Pints were €5 and water was available for free!

Ive heard a lot of horror storys, but to be honest i had a great day!
    Got the bus from Parnell Square West at 11.50 and arrived through 2 checks for drink ect and inside and sitting down by about 13.30.
    Quite a bit of walking but was expected really, should be if youve ever been to any concert within reason.
    Got a sopt on the hill and sat in the sun no problems until about 4.30ish when drunk people were floppin around everywhere spillin red wine and beer, seen one guy get sick on some people and get trun out immediately.
    Thats just idiots who cant handle there drink and there is nothing that can be done about that really.
    As i a rrived early i was given a green band that says (im still wearing it) "Slane castle 20th June 2009, PIT Oasis", which allowed me access to the pit but i didnt use it and i was offered money for it while inside.

Moved from the hill (by hill i mean over by the green netting, while looking at the stage on the right) down towards the stage still had plenty of room and everything was fine.
    Thouroughly enjoyed the gig, cued for beer took maybe 20mins in the cue for two of us so we could get two each.

Stayed at the front for Oasis and started to move towards the gate during the final song, was at the top of the hill when the fireworks were going off.
    Made the way back to the road stoped at the "shop" and visited the hedge on the way back. Still made it to the bus around 12 and was back in my home in Dublin at 5 past 1.
    Ive never seen as many busses parked along the side of the road before, and I felt like a bit of a tool having paid 20 for a bus ticket when never even asked if i had one.

I have no problems as such with the event or the organisation, and i thouroughly enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTE72

Good god people grow a pair and stop with all the moaning and bi*ching.

The traffic management plan was put in place and approved by Meath County Council when getting the licence.

If you think that you and the 79,999 others attending the gig are going to come straight out of the concert and onto a bus without having to walk for a while then your deluded! No one likes the walk but unfortunatly it comes with the day thats in it. As was previously pointed out you can't put a load of 12 tonne buses in a field because they'd never get out of it. Which leaves the only place to park all the buses to Dublin at the side of the road on the N2.

And your right. Slane has access from Navan, Collon and Drogheda so why didn't you use one of those entrances? There was plenty of buses going from Navan and it's not hard to get from Dublin to Navan to pick up one of those buses.

And yes the queue for the bar was long but no one put a gun to your head and forced you to the bar did they? If you wanted to drink then you have to queue. Again with 80,000 people there you can't expect to be served straight away.

Deluded.... No definitely not.

Why would i personally go out a direction oposite to where i live?

The point was all the buses for all directions were picking up across the bridge then diverted for drogheda etc.

Why couldn't they organise a field? 80,000 people x 80 euro a ticket and they couldn't prepare a field? i.e with rough stone for stopping and turning. course they could..

Use your imagination mate... there has to be a better way than the shambles it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

mad4it wrote: »
    wile e

of cousre we wernt prepare 4 d day ie dublin bus. eh it was r first time there. i hav bn 2 many gigs and always used dublin bus and had 2 do d usual walkin and waitin and never had a problem wi this, its wot u expect wi d mass amount of people but dublin bus wer takin d piss on sat. we passed bout 30buses ful of people and they wer movin nower and d road was clear. all d buses wer parked that tight 2 each other they cudnt get out so had 2 wait on d bus upfront 2 full up b4 any1 cud mov. a bit of common sense when parkin wud haved made al d difference giv urself space 2 get out of d parkin spot r else dublin bus should of sort out a field wer d bus can park so they can leave once ful

but i do agree wi u bout d people moanin bout missin acts cos they q at d bar now com on people drink r acts that was your own choice and if u choose drink u should of saved ur sel 80eand sat on d bridge wi a carryout

Please post in English if you want to have your posts read.

Deluded.... No definitely not.

Why would i personally go out a direction oposite to where i live?

The point was all the buses for all directions were picking up across the bridge then diverted for drogheda etc.

Why couldn't they organise a field? 80,000 people x 80 euro a ticket and they couldn't prepare a field? i.e with rough stone for stopping and turning. course they could..

Use your imagination mate... there has to be a better way than the shambles it is

well what do you expect for that price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Justin Conboy

Ron DMC wrote: »
    I had a great time. People who can't handle a few miles walk obviously had too much to drink, and I'd blame that more than the transport problems for their unhappiness.

Anythign bad that happened was completely overshadowed by the brothers Gallagher playing a stormer.

People who say they'll never go again, all the better, less transport woes for the rest of us the next time.

Tens of thousands of people complain about panic attacks, fear for their lives and "The Next Hillsbourgh Disaster" and you flip it away as if we're all telling lies!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

I was workin at the gig and it seemed to fill up around 5 onwards as kasabien were on, i was keepin an eye round the navan entrance and everything seemed ok there, tickets were checked and all and they were even refusing some people who were out of order. I would love to know what happened at the Dublin entrance that people were able to get in without a ticket there :confused: It did seem way too overcrowded no way it was 80,000. Then again i wasnt counting the people:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

lampy wrote: »
    As I've stated before, I saw the Stones at Slane, it's only 2 years ago, and there was nowhere near the chaos, and nothing close to the complaints afterwards to Joe Duffy et al.
    Bear in mind capacity for The Rolling Stones was 60,000, not to mention a different crowd totally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

SHINNYD wrote: »
    I ARRIVED SOBER AND ON TIME!! I QUEUED AS I WAS SUPPOSE TO, AND I LEFT SOBER. SO DID THE GROUP OF 20 PEOPLE I WAS WITH. SO DONT U DARE BLAME THE "IRISH COCERT GOERS" ON THE LACK OF ORGANISATION THAT WENT INTO THE JOKE OF GIG!!! AND IF U NOTICED THERE WAS ALSO FOREIGN PPL THERE , WHO WERE EQUALLY AS DRUNK AS SOME OF THE IRISH PPL!!! SHAME ON U!

Don't expect a retraction from me. I have worked at numerous music events in Ireland including numerous Slanes. Unfortunately, it can be hard for the Irish concert going population to accept the truth about themselves.

Slane has always been well organised but it is a difficult place to get out of with 80,000 people on the move. Ideally, you'd stick it in a field on the side of a motorway but then again you lose the Slane charm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Having Oasis and Prodigy on the same bill...its bound to happen like

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement