Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLANE 2009 Oasis - All Discussion - No ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

In fairness, Meath Co. Co. would put the current Iranian government to shame with its corruption :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭D Audio Tripper

FOR ALL US MOANY SLANE HEADS! http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/slane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Peppi Doe wrote: »
    why couldnt we have gone in the road we exited on? would have been handy????? panic attacks saved, teeny bit more civilised & less like animals on way to market

Slane wouldn't be able to cope with that amount of people in it at one time so they try to break it up and keep as many people out of the village as possible. People coming the West go through Navan and straight in at the castle gates. People coming from Dublin and South come via the N2 and people coming from the North go through the village as do people coming from the Drogheda direction, however one poster said that the Drogheda buses were sent via Donore and onto the N2 as well which is a bit stupid and doesn't make any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

I always approach any festival site from the FAR SIDE to Dublin. I always drive, never get busses as they are always a mess. Specially at Slane.

At Slane approach from the far side, get to au unofficial field car park as near to the venue as you can, leave before the last song, get back to car.

I throw up a sneaky tent out of sight of the farmer who rented out the field. They dont care anyway, the field is already destroyed with car tracks.

I do the same at the Picnic. Approach from the Swan.

Dont do Oxegen as the crowd are scum.

Although going to AC/DC next week, probably be a bloodbath, but at least there will be no cream crackers in trackers!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Ten of my mates and I have tickets with the stubs still attached.

Ticket stubs aren't ripped off, they are scanned in now like Croker! Mine was scanned and I went in at 7.45.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Peppi Doe

I came from Dublin & was sent in thru the castle gates, there wasnt anywhere else to go. Plus village already closed off, to be honest some of the local joes might have made a killing selling minerals etc if the crowd went in that way, plus fences already in place so no damage could be caused

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

FOR ALL US MOANY SLANE HEADS! http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/slane

online petition my hole! Seriously, mate, I don't doubt the intentions of those who set them up, but you should write as an individual to those concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 me_shell_86

this year was my 1st year and i thought it was amazing,
    we drove up, no traffic on the road got there bout 12, got parking easy, walked through town got there bout 1 or after , no queues , a quick search through the bags. let in ,got pit passes, got drink headed down but didnt go into pit as it was kinda full n i wanted 2 see! so we stayed at the barrier and ended up selling our passes( ppl offered 2 buy them)! had great view the whole night , half way through oasis we moved to the back, as soon as it was over we headed back to the cae no traffic home in dub by 12!!! best concert! will be going nxt year!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Discussing on the Last Word now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

They're talking about it now on Matt Cooper Today fm!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Mr Moon wrote: »
    They're talking about it now on Matt Cooper Today fm!
    Snap :)

Has anyone taken any responsibility or apologised for this yet? Havent seen anything on this coming out of joe Duffy et al yet:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Havent seen anything on this coming out of joe Duffy et al yet:confused:
    You obviously don't listen to his radio show.

Full context was anyone taken responsibility yet, hadnt heard anyone saying the mcd were on the radio

I'm in work & dont have access to radio

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Sent off my complaints to MCD, Garda Siochana, Meath County Council, and Slane Castle. If I can any replies I'll throw them up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭squonk

Has anyone taken any responsibility or apologised for this yet? Havent seen anything on this coming out of joe Duffy et al yet:confused:

Yeah, but it doesn't matter really. The same thing will happen next year. I went with one of my friends and we both complained about the organisation of the event, except she reckoned she's going to go next year if Kings of Leon are going to be on... now you can't win! Me, I won't be rushing back I think. it'd want to be something really, really special and, even then, I'd prefer to spend the money to head over to Webmbley or somewhere to see the gig instead. It's simple mathematics, if punters don't shell out for tickets next year because of the organisation this year, then something will be done about it, but if we complain yet still go back nextyear, what's gong to be the difference? Same as if you've a cafe selling greasy chips, if punters keep coming back, why would you change the chips, even if they tell you they think they're ****e! Would you care?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I went in from the Drumconrath side, no hassle at all. We just sat on a wall on the Drumconrath road drinking up until half way through Kasabian, worked our way down through the crowd and stood beside the sound/lighting tent in the middle of the venue. Went back up through the crowd to go to the jacks and back down for the Prodigy and Oasis. No problems at all.

Went out the Navan exit, waited for the taxi for half an hour and got back to the nightclub in Carrickmacross for 12.30.

No hassle at all and a very enjoyable day.

i got a huge tray of chips n coke for 5euro i think this is pretty good considering location etc, heard buses were bad but is that what all the complaints are?? get a taxi/bus/carpool!! cheaper anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Teresa1984

To anyone that had a good time at Slane this weekend, that's great! I myself REALLY enjoyed the gig, Prodigy were amazing and I can't think of a good enough word for Oasis, they rocked!

I do agree that the queue's were unreasonably long, and maybe some more should have been checking tickets. Same goes for the drinks tents, I actually had no drinks - the queue was too long, more tents may have sorted that one out too. Finally, the walk back to the Dublin buses was CRAZY!!!! A number of complaints have to be made here...

Firstly, we were told at the drogheda buses that we had a ten minute walk to the dublin buses. 2 hours later we were still walking (remember we were both sober so there was no staggering going on, this was proper two hour walking here), then all the buses were full. One had the lights off, and the guy driving it EVENTUALLY opened the doors and let a few on, then told everyone that this would be the last bus to leave as he was in control of the 50 buses (we were then told they had under-estimated the bus requirement by 80 buses, Dublin Bus intelligence at its best here obviously). After a few minutes he turned out to be the FIRST bus to leave (ah so, they are stupid AND they lie to us, sound after taking our money!!!). Then we were told that "ye all need to take a chill pill, we'll get ye home at some stage", that is FANTASTIC customer service!!!!!!!!!

We had left the concert at 11, got back to Dublin at half four, a friend of mine left at the same time, drove himself back to co. limerick, and arrived just one hour later than that. I believe the message here is that whilst they encourage you to use pubic transport, in reality they let you down, treat you like idiots, provide a terrible service, and are a great advert for how not to run a service.

Would I go to Slane again? Definately, but I will be driving, as you sure as hell can't rely on Dublin Transport.

Teresa1984 wrote: »

Would I go to Slane again? Definately, but I will be driving, as you sure as hell can't rely on Dublin Transport.

+1 Spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

I got there early, was at the very front of the pit, had no problems with security or people fighting, etc. and didn't go near the bar as I wasn't drinking. The concert itself was fantastic, but getting home was a nightmare. I went with my brother and a friend, we had Bus Eireann tickets. As far as I could tell, Bus Eireann had hired some private buses to bring people back to Custom House Quay. We searched for three and a half hours and couldn't find them. We asked at official Bus Eireann buses but they were all going to places like Drogheda, etc. - nowhere near us - and could not help. Ran into a LOT of people with the same problem. Was listening to Joe Duffy earlier and was very surprised that the complaints all seemed to be about Dublin Bus, not Bus Eireann. Texted in, but no texts were being read out. We tried getting Dublin Bus buses too, but our tickets obviously weren't valid and although we offered to pay, no one would take us and most of the buses were packed beyond capacity. Eventually we were lucky enough to find a private bus going to Newbridge, where my brother and I are from. Obviously we had to pay for that, as our Bus Eireann tickets were useless. The concert was over just after half ten, we were walking until after two and didn't get back to Newbridge until half four. We were very lucky to even get home by then, many people were stranded on the sides of the road - we saw people trying to sleep in the grass at the side of the dual carriageway. Bus Eireann (and Dublin Bus, by the sound of it) took people's money and left them stranded. I'd encourage everyone to contact them directly to complain - this nonsense about everyone being out of Slane by 2am is a complete lie!

Besides getting home though, I had a brilliant time, have no complaints aside from the transport issue. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

if punters don't shell out for tickets next year because of the organisation this year, then something will be done about it, but if we complain yet still go back nextyear, what's gong to be the difference?

There wont be any difference. This is going on years.

Even if the punters that went this year vote with their feet and refuse to go next year there is always more young first timers who will go along like lambs to the slaughter....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Maybe the internet will be the deciding factor. Years ago things were different.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭D Audio Tripper

Drinks should have been 5euro and not 6, also 4 per person with that handy cardboard carry thing seen at other gigs! Would have nearly halved the queue time I reckon

Drinks should have been 5euro and not 6, also 4 per person with that handy cardboard carry thing seen at other gigs! Would have nearly halved the queue time I reckon

i saw ppl with those cardboard holders , although there was space for 4 but cud only use 2 :)

They certainly weren't inforcing 2 pints per person rule when I went up from 1pm until Kasabian came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Yis are all a shower of spoiled gimps, raised on a safe diet of neatly packaged Oxygen, what with yer security, toilets and no queues.

This stuff happens at concerts, jaysus, ye wouldnt last an hour at Feile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%A9ile_Festival

Aaah them were the days, 72 hours straight drunk as a monkey, covered in mud and sleeping in a car boot and nathin to eat except Taytos and warm cider.

So so true.. Feile was great craic..

A concert is no fun if everything goes smoothly. Went to see Pink Floyd in Paris a good few years ago, took a ferry over from Jersey. The bus that we were on left us miles from the concert venue - had to try and find the venue with very few signposts.. Excellent concert... then we had to try and find our way back from venue to the bus... by the time we found it it was half empty and left all the same, loads of people had left bags on the bus and some of these I would imagine included passports.. awake for 48 hours (spent about 6 hours altogether walking), great time, great gig... would I do it again?, absolutely!!..

neatly packed oxegen?? have u been to that skangerfest??!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

worked there for 3 days during it, finger pointing is all lots of fun, ya can blame mcd, county council, dus companies... tbh i think if you put 85000 pikies in a field and lock em in with booze for 6 hours, and open the doors again... any form of order is out the window. I have never seen such a dirty...nasty looking bunch of pikies in my life...very pleased i was behind steel shield during gig.

I blame Oasis... the little knack bags :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

worked there for 3 days during it, finger pointing is all lots of fun, ya can blame mcd, county council, dus companies... tbh i think if you put 85000 pikies in a field and lock em in with booze for 6 hours, and open the doors again... any form of order is out the window. I have never seen such a dirty...nasty looking bunch of pikies in my life...very pleased i was behind steel shield during gig.

I blame Oasis... the little knack bags :pac:

Cool so there were pikies both on stage and in the crowd :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement