Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLANE 2009 Oasis - All Discussion - No ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

worked there for 3 days during it, finger pointing is all lots of fun, ya can blame mcd, county council, dus companies... tbh i think if you put 85000 pikies in a field and lock em in with booze for 6 hours, and open the doors again... any form of order is out the window. I have never seen such a dirty...nasty looking bunch of pikies in my life...very pleased i was behind steel shield during gig.

I blame Oasis... the little knack bags :pac:
    By time gig was over nearly everyone was sobered up and it was more tiredness after long day walking/dancing that made the problems at end with transport and logistics so unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭D Audio Tripper

God I must have just missed out on getting 4 pints in so!! I did see one or two peop with 4 but I just presumed they knew someone behind the bar maybe
    Friend of mine (female :)) did get two beers and two wine.... little git!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Sent off my complaints to MCD, Garda Siochana, Meath County Council, and Slane Castle. If I can any replies I'll throw them up here.

Got a reply for the Garda Press Office, not much use but it's something.
    Dear Gavin,

Many thanks for sending us on your observations on the event. They will be forwarded onto those involved in the organisation of the same.

Kind regards,
    Ciarán Wrenn
    Garda Press Office

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

DO NOT POST UP PERSONAL ADDRESSES OF EMPLOYESS FOR ANY OF THE AGENCIES YOU WISH TO MAKE A COMPLAINT TO.

THE CORRECT ADDRESSES ARE IN THE FIRST THREAD.

ANYONE POSTING UP CONTACT DETAILS FOR INDIVIDUALS WILL BE BANNED.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTE72

worked there for 3 days during it, finger pointing is all lots of fun, ya can blame mcd, county council, dus companies... tbh i think if you put 85000 pikies in a field and lock em in with booze for 6 hours, and open the doors again... any form of order is out the window. I have never seen such a dirty...nasty looking bunch of pikies in my life...very pleased i was behind steel shield during gig.

Now you are leagues above in social standing with an attitude like that.. Looks like you don't have any class for a self proclaimed non pikey.

I've seen plenty of nasty bastard rugger buggers in my time who can't control themselves specially with drink taken.. Just because the address is Foxrock doesn't give you class ... mate
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

BTE72 wrote: »
    Now you are leagues above in social standing with an attitude like that.. Looks like you don't have any class for a self proclaimed non pikey.

I've seen plenty of nasty bastard rugger buggers in my time who can't control themselves specially with drink taken.. Just because the address is Foxrock doesn't give you class ... mate
    ;)

only stating what i saw mate... no need to get on the defense...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 darren37

the lord that runs slane was on joe duffy today, he didnt even know how much they were charging for a pint. people are saying its the council, its mcd, its dublin bus. the people who agree to the plans and give all these bodies the go ahead to put on this event are AGS. why oh why is nobody asking the cabbage in blue uniform who was supossed to be in charge why he signed off on such a farcical plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

MCD have issued a statement regarding the issues with Slane this year:

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=2811034&ar=oasis-slane2009&cat=all
    We fully accept there were delays entering the venue mainly due to the larger number of fans than expected that used public transport and while this is welcomed it did cause delays. While bus tickets were widely available in advance, going forward we will actively encourage fans to book their bus tickets in advance, as the majority of tickets approx 17,000 were purchased on the day of the event. It is a credit to Dublin Bus that they were able to facilitate the increased numbers, rather than having thousands of fans left stranded.

On site venue bars were the same size/number as previous sell out concerts. To encourage responsible drinking it is policy to serve only 2 pints of beer per person at a time which is welcomed by Gardai, Drinkaware etc however this added to longer queues than acceptable and something which will be reviewed.

Overall the 80,000 fans who attended were extremely well behaved however there will always be a small number of individuals who engage in anti social behaviour which is totally unacceptable. Gardai have reported that there were no major incidents and stated in today’s Irish Independent that the concert passed off better than previous concerts at the venue.

Attendance and capacity for the event was 80,000 which has been the capacity for standing concerts at the venue for the last 20 years.

All the issues raised above will be immediately addressed at the post event debrief meeting and changes will be implemented as required for future Slane concerts.

Should any fans have any concerns or complaints they can contact MCD directly at contact@mcd.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8 darren37

the statement from mcd is fine as far as it goes, its the standerd of policing that is of most concern. a private security company would have done a more professional job than the idiots that were in blue on that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Teresa1984

MCD have issued a statement regarding the issues with Slane this year:

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=2811034&ar=oasis-slane2009&cat=all

so are we meant to thank them for a service we had already paid for??!!!! Organisation is key - we were informed they had slightly miscalculated by 80 buses!!!!! a private company would not get away with that carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

lordgoat wrote: »
    DO NOT POST UP PERSONAL ADDRESSES OF EMPLOYESS FOR ANY OF THE AGENCIES YOU WISH TO MAKE A COMPLAINT TO.

THE CORRECT ADDRESSES ARE IN THE FIRST THREAD.

ANYONE POSTING UP CONTACT DETAILS FOR INDIVIDUALS WILL BE BANNED.

sorry bout that,didnt realise :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2 asha1979

Cant believe what I am hearing! Ive been going to Slane for the past 15 years and it is in my opinion the best event on the planet. The atmosphere on Saturday was electric. I went in after Kasabian unfortunately so didnt get to hear them but loved the prodigy and Oasis were amazing! I only had to travel to Navan so I cannot relate to your travel difficulties but I have been to plenty of other concerts where I would spend hours after waiting to get a bus home, and usually in the rain! It was a gorgeous night on Saturday, not a drop of rain, the atmosphere outside was great. Maybe in future those who are giving out would be better off going to see Westlife in the o2 or rent a dvd performance of a concert! Because to get the full effect of the Slane venue you have to experience it fully. You all got off lightly as there was no muck as it had not been raining. Oasis were amazing. And as for queuing for drinks - come on! Its not a bloody 5 star hotel, its an outdoor concert that holds 80,000 people, and 79,999 others like you want drinks also! :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

suzieb wrote: »
    sorry bout that,didnt realise :o

No problem, the warning was not directed just at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭finno

who you calling a pikie lioke omg mr foxrock. name calling will get you BANNED :D

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭celticwe

Just on six one news

someone sent in photos:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Hi there,

Reporter here from RTE News.

I'm trying to put something together on the Slane chaos and I wonder if anyone has got some photos of the mayhem waiting for a bus home or anything else from the gig that you think should be highlighted.

Please get in touch.

Tadhg.

I see what you did there.
    Good man yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I think they should now finish up with slane as every year 1000,s of people are moaning about services.

Slane never caught up with this era of ''I want this now'' as it is with the modern day and I think next year will be the same sh!t.

Either cancel it or make it a 2 day fest where people can camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dabatter

Why couldnt they be a bit more professional? For example, when everybody left the bottleneck of an exit, why wasnt there someone from MCD or some organiser with a megaphone directing the crowd or providing some instructions of where to get the bus? There was no need to walk 5 miles. Even if the buses near the gig did not leave till all hours, I would have happily just jumped on one and gone for a kip. I honestly thought I needed to just keep walking to go to the top of the queue. The lack of information was incredible. I actually thought from listening to Garda warnings beforehand and from MCD that Dublin Bus was the best option, I placed my trust in them, how wrong I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dabatter

Also, if they did not expect people to buy tickets, why didnt they setup an online facility to buy them. They may have been able to assess demand. I checked their website before the gig and I could not find anywhere to purchase, only advice to get the tickets on O Connell Street on the day. If 17,000 people went out that afternoon, dont you think they should have said to themselves "Hang on a second here, we will need extra buses going back this evening"?

Mr.S wrote: »
    Well according to MCD, the reason behind the bus delays was that 17,000+ people only bought bus tickets on the day, which they didn't expect.

So error on both parts really.

In fairness though. If they got people there, they should have gotten them home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

celticwe wrote: »
    Just on six one news

someone sent in photos:)

Where in the broadcast was it? Gonna see if I can catch it online.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Although going to AC/DC next week, probably be a bloodbath, but at least there will be no cream crackers in trackers!

What makes you think AC/DC will be a bloodbath? I've been going to Metal gigs for 25 years, indoor and outdoor, and never seen any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭catching_streams

I demand an apology. How dare you!!! That is an absolutely outrageous and highly insulting comment to make. This is boards.ie, comments such as the above are beneath contempt and there's no place for them here. If you don't like the band fair enough, there's no need whatsoever to spew your classist bile and verbally abuse the 80k fans of the band who attended.

This is obscene behaviour coming from a mod!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭celticwe

Random wrote: »
    Where in the broadcast was it? Gonna see if I can catch it online.

Thanks

Right before the sports news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Cannot believe the attitude and abuse being given from the above moderator, it is a disgrace.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Dabatter wrote: »
    Also, if they did not expect people to buy tickets, why didnt they setup an online facility to buy them. They may have been able to assess demand. I checked their website before the gig and I could not find anywhere to purchase, only advice to get the tickets on O Connell Street on the day. If 17,000 people went out that afternoon, dont you think they should have said to themselves "Hang on a second here, we will need extra buses going back this evening"?

Bus tickets were on sale on Ticketmaster beside the concert tickets since the gig was announced;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Was at Slane Castle on Saturday. Had an absolutely amazing time. Turned up, with plenty of time to spare, at 3PM and got in with no hassle. Enjoyed the day immensly. Encountered some rough elements but stayed away from them, as common sense would dictate. Listening to Joe Duffy today, the callers were not at the same gig that I was at on Saturday. People who turned up at 6PM should expect delays. There were 80,000 tickets sold. I had my ticket checked and I was searched for drink. The queue for beer is to be expected. How else do 80,000 people get a drink!?

Dublin Bus on the other hand should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. I left Goatstown in Dublin at 11AM. I had to wait a half an hour for an 11 bus. Then we got on a bus in town which traveled for 20 minutes at about 15 miles an hour before we were all kicked off and told that the bus was overheating and we would have to wait for another one to come out and collect us. Afterwards, I had to wait until 2:50 AM IST to get on a bus at a sign that read "Slane 5KM". I had to pay 20€ for the privilage.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭finno

lukesmom wrote: »
    Cannot believe the attitude and abuse being given from the above moderator, it is a disgrace.:mad:

Be careful all mods stick together i just got a warning

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Would I get banned if I went into the threads in DIT or Griffith college and started insulting all the students and teachers who post in there:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

lukesmom wrote: »

He's not a moderator in this forum so he's allowed to have his opinion just as much as you and me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement