Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLANE 2009 Oasis - All Discussion - No ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

He's not a moderator in this forum so he's allowed to have his opinion just as much as you and me.

What he said ^

His post also has an infraction beside it. It has been dealt with. The next person that mentions it or moderation of any kind in here. Won't be posting in here for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 hughgrant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Had a private bus from sligo and got their around 2 o clock, went through the entrance with no ques. Got up to front, just behind the pit and it was all grand. When the prodigy came on it went mental, never seen anything like it. A girl got knocked out on the ground beside me. Anyways it didnt spoil the event. I thought the blizzards where alright, glasvegas where ****e, kasabian were good, prodigy unreal and oasis unreal. We got our bus where we left it just a 15 min walk and it did take us awhile to get out of slane on the bus but that didn't really matter. Was a great day all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭FastFuse

worked there for 3 days during it, finger pointing is all lots of fun, ya can blame mcd, county council, dus companies... tbh i think if you put 85000 pikies in a field and lock em in with booze for 6 hours, and open the doors again... any form of order is out the window. I have never seen such a dirty...nasty looking bunch of pikies in my life...very pleased i was behind steel shield during gig.

I blame Oasis... the little knack bags :pac:
    Everyone that went to the gig is a pikey.? Riiiight

There was a mod earlier discouraging remarks like that. Don't the rules apply to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dabatter

Hi Wiley, did you book it online? I was geting redirected to the DublinBus website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

I love all of these first posts from posters who are defending the organisation of this absolute horror show. Methinks the MCD staff are working overtime at the moment, trying to limit the damage! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

What makes you think AC/DC will be a bloodbath? I've been going to Metal gigs for 25 years, indoor and outdoor, and never seen any bother.

Well to be honest the outdoor gig will attract plenty of cream crackers.........but in general I've found crowds at metal gigs to be far more pleasant than at mainstream pop or indie gigs......for whatever reason bands that have wider appeal tend to have more trouble and a more aggressive atmosphere.......

was going to head down next week and get the return bus - and was wondering is it worth the hassle - I'm sure that with the publicity etc...from this weekends mess that they'll be told to not mess it up - but I just can't afford to get stuck in Punchestown (and leaving an Ac/Dc gig early isn't an option :-)......)

MCD's statement is a pile of pure drivel, so they just decided they were worried about alcohol consumption for this show - the biggest Irish outdoor show of it's type - without testing it out on a smaller show ??? that's incompetent.
    They thank Dublin Bus for not messing up even further than they did, the simple fact is that if the capacity for the gig is 80,000 people the bus company should be covering that number of people for return travel - ok they won't do that because it costs too much, then at least ensure that you have covered the number of tickets that you sold to people going up - as was mentioned the extra 17,000 people that bought Slane tickets on the day didn't just magically arrive in Slane, a significant amount must have paid Dublin Bus to get there and the company should have just counted the receipts or the cash they took in on Sat - not rocket science is it ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Silverfox

For all those giving out I think the bottom line in all this is that YOU weren’t prepared for the day. YOU chose to go with Dublin Bus instead hiring your own bus or driving. YOU chose not to get to the event early, those that did had no problems getting in and YOU chose to stand at the beer tent for an hour and a half for two cups of watery piss.

Actually dude, WE weren't drinking at all, WE can't drive and don't have the money or the numbers to hire a bus and WE should be entitled to arrive at any time we choose (I was at a wedding dress appt with my sister at mid-day so getting down there that early just wasn't feasible) and still enjoy the concert in a timely and relatively comfortable fashion without our lives or dignity being put in danger. WE were prepared with raingear, suncream, suitable clothes and walking shoes, first aid stuff and bottles of water (which were removed from us on the way in) and WE, along, I'm sure, with others here who are (or are not!) well-seasoned festival goers, deserve better than this at any venue or event regardless of "preparation". Please don't generalise, some of us did all we could to get the most out of the day and got this nightmare in return. "Suck it up", just isn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

i had great time,yeah there was crazy delays getting out but feck it,the prodigy were worth going through that for...anyone else see the girl fall off the fence and rip her jeans...dont think i have ever been called buddy so much in my life either!!was some amount of scumbags there but big gigs like that seem to attract them,just stay away from them and its grand..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bill Finnerty

MCD now accepting that major problems at Slane but STILL denying that there were 100,000 plus in the filed. Everybody knows that the field was totally overcrowded. I have been at 16 concerts in Slane, including all the sell out gigs and this was the worst in terms of crowd numbers.

MCD must now come clean and state how many extra tickets above the 80,000 were actually sold.

It was the most dangerous situation I have ever seen and thankfully there were not dozens of fatalities. There is evidence available to properly count the attendance and this must now be eaxmined. CCTV was recording the crowd at each entry point and if this is properly examined by an independent team them we will have a proper estimate of the numbers there.

Meath County Council or some other relevant authority must now investigate what occurred and who let it happen. We cannot wait until a tragedy occurs before soemthing is done.

All persons annoyed with the situation on Saturday should email MCD at contacts@mcd.ie. MCD have a habit of stating that only XX amount of people complained out of 80,000. Everybody with concerns must email them so that the numbers of complaints can properly reflect the real feelings out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

MCD now accepting that major problems at Slane but STILL denying that there were 100,000 plus in the filed. Everybody knows that the field was totally overcrowded. I have been at 16 concerts in Slane, including all the sell out gigs and this was the worst in terms of crowd numbers.

MCD must now come clean and state how many extra tickets above the 80,000 were actually sold.

It was the most dangerous situation I have ever seen and thankfully there were not dozens of fatalities. There is evidence available to properly count the attendance and this must now be eaxmined. CCTV was recording the crowd at each entry point and if this is properly examined by an independent team them we will have a proper estimate of the numbers there.

Meath County Council or some other relevant authority must now investigate what occurred and who let it happen. We cannot wait until a tragedy occurs before soemthing is done.

All persons annoyed with the situation on Saturday should email MCD at contacts@mcd.ie. MCD have a habit of stating that only XX amount of people complained out of 80,000. Everybody with concerns must email them so that the numbers of complaints can properly reflect the real feelings out there.

They won't listen..........smug b@*^%"!s. I telephoned them last year after the Metallica gig in Marlay Park, and gave out stink to them, but I could tell that the person on the other end of the line didn't give a sh!t as long as they got their money off me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Tis a pity that the transport was ****ed up and that there was ques for hours long.. because the actual concert was epic.. I think people are forgetting that the concert was brilliant and are just turning to the bad points. Tis a pity some people had a ****e experience after, had a brilliant day myself and I would return to Slane.. only badpoint for my was the scumbag that kicked me in the back! ohwell!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If there was more than 80,000 people there it's not because MCD sold more tickets, it'd be because nobody was checking tickets from the Dublin entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The Blonde One

cork*girl wrote: »
    Tis a pity that the transport was ****ed up and that there was ques for hours long.. because the actual concert was epic.. I think people are forgetting that the concert was brilliant and are just turning to the bad points. Tis a pity some people had a ****e experience after, had a brilliant day myself and I would return to Slane.. only badpoint for my was the scumbag that kicked me in the back! ohwell!

I would have gladly swapped your kick in the back, for the projectile vomit I was treated to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bill Finnerty

BaZmO* wrote: »
    If there was more than 80,000 people there it's not because MCD sold more tickets, it'd be because nobody was checking tickets from the Dublin entrance.

How come that MCD stated at the Press Conference last Wednesday that the concert was a sell out, yet people could still but tickets the next day? It is hard to believe that 20,000-30,000 came in without no tickets and were not checked. Something does not add up here, one must assuime that extra tickets were sold. I do accpet that loads came in without tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 doublegarments

My dad works for Heineken and has done Slane for the last 10 years.

Apparently this year it's Heineken, Coors, Murphys and Red/White wine

this year they served heineken and vinegar, that was the standard of wine, shocking, shame on the people who ran the bars and im not blaming your Dad, i will be lookin for the correct people to complain to

How come that MCD stated at the Press Conference last Wednesday that the concert was a sell out, yet people could still but tickets the next day? It is hard to believe that 20,000-30,000 came in without no tickets and were not checked. Something does not add up here, one must assuime that extra tickets were sold. I do accpet that loads came in without tickets.

It's called s***e "marshalling"! Plain & simple.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

FastFuse wrote: »
    Everyone that went to the gig is a pikey.? Riiiight

There was a mod earlier discouraging remarks like that. Don't the rules apply to you?

i got an infraction and a warning... i'm not immune to moderation

I'm leaving this post here as he/she has a right to reply to the previous comments. But this is the end of it now. - lordgoat

iPLOD wrote: »
    I am still fumming at the rip off that was Slane 2009. Its was my first time there but I'm quite sure I will not be back.

I've been to gigs all over the world and I have never seen anything like the shambles that was Saturday.

Is there any way to lodge an official complaint about it?

If people don't say something it will just keep happening (as seems to be the case for the past 15 yrs)

Oh yeah, I just remebered the tunnel of deisel fumes that was the bus waiting area after the gig. What a nightmare.

i got to agree, worse gig for organisation ive ever been to, vinegar 4 wine, 2 drinks pp, 45 min wait for a drink after a 3km 2 hr walk to get in and the journey home 4hrs on a bus dyin for the loo, what a farce, oasis still rock tho, lord henry , u dont

i got to agree, worse gig for organisation ive ever been to, vinegar 4 wine, 2 drinks pp, 45 min wait for a drink after a 3km 2 hr walk to get in and the journey home 4hrs on a bus dyin for the loo, what a farce, oasis still rock tho, lord henry , u dont

Didn't hear him on Liveline. What had he got to say for himself?

• Advertisement

Sshishi wrote: »
    I am sorry for all of you that had a crap day, but i notice most of you arrived late, which is a shame, I took a bus from parnell square at 12.10 after 10 min q'ing arrived inside the gates at 14.00, went to loo without queing and got a drink without queing. Then enjoyed the support bands. At 16pm went to loo again and q' for 5 min. Again at 8 and q'd for 10 minutes. Q'd for two beers at 8.30 and was served at 9 which i thought was very resonable. We were delayed when leaving, it took 2.5hrs to leave slane but the day was so much i couldnt complain. Maybe next year if you give it another chance and if at all possible leave on time:D:):D:)

u were very jammy man, very,

i didnt see him on liveline but on 6pm news, he admitted probs but too late terry, i say, they've had 25 yrs to get this right!!! amateurs

i didnt see him on liveline but on 6pm news, he admitted probs but too late terry, i say, they've had 25 yrs to get this right!!! amateurs

LOL. I bet their "defence argument" will consist of the sentence "We weren't prepared for that many people"!? The gig was bloody sold out, ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

lol him and MCD insisting that there where only 80k at the event. Thats clear bs anybody at the gig could c there where way more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Dabatter wrote: »
    Hi Wiley, did you book it online? I was geting redirected to the DublinBus website.

No I wouldn't thrust Dublin Bus to take me to the end of the road never mind all the way to Slane and back. I'm sure there's plenty on here who did book their tickets on-line and can confirm if they were re-directed to the Dublin Bus website or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Go here and click RTÉ Radio 1 in the right hand column and then click the Liveline link and you can listen to today's show. Basically Lord Mountcharles tried to assert at the start that the whole thing went off without a hitch. He then seemed to concede towards then end that there were probably problems - after a plethora of people called in with their horror stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

NickNolte wrote: »
    Go here and click RTÉ Radio 1 in the right hand column and then click the Liveline link and you can listen to today's show. Basically Lord Mountcharles tried to assert at the start that the whole thing went off without a hitch. He then seemed to concede towards then end that there were probably problems - after a plethora of people called in with their horror stories.

Direct link http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_liveline.xml

LMFAO.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

To be fair it seemed he was unaware of all the problems and came across quite well. He was also quite gracious in how he conceded there were problems. If he implements what he finds out from the review then we could hope for improvement. I do think that this year Slane dropped the ball but it was not too long ago that a festival did the same only to garner generally positive reviews the following two years. So maybe some good can come of this.

I again urge people with genuine complaints (not having to queue for booze etc) to make them to the relevant authorities. Contact details for all involved are in the first post of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

I was there. I've never been to a concert in my life that had the scumbag element that this one did. The amount of skangers with coke/speed/E combined with booze onboard was unreal. I personally witnessed three fist fights and one young man no older than 17 get a kick in his stomach for no reason whatsoever. Really bad atmosphere once prodigy came on. The concert organisers are deluded if they think the crowd numbers where in and around 80k. I've been to slane numerous times and there was at least 100k there Saturday night and many where bragging about their "forged tickets not even being checked". Thank god i did'nt have to deal with the transport home situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement