Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLANE 2009 Oasis - All Discussion - No ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GK2009

This was the most shambolic and dangerous outside music event I HAVE EVER BEEN TO (and there have been a few). Shocking crowd control - squeezing 80,000 people into a small tree lined avenue where they have to crawl on top of eachother for two hours in an attempt to get into the venue was shameful and dangerous way to treat people who have paid good money to attend this event. It all smacked of greed and terrible organisation and I would never return there again. We left before Oasis came on (too scared of the same crammed crawl on the way out) - we heard Kasabian in the distant background during the crush on the way in and then enjoyed (?) the Prodigy set whilst avoiding all the punch ups in the hour we spent crammed in the bar queue. Shame on anyone invloved on the organisation of this disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mspacman

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Glad you all had a good time but jaysus could you at least ignore the people that had problems instead of "Oh your no real concert goer" "Bunch of moaners" I complained as well, am I a real concert goer? No I have been to 2 in my life that was my first open air and I expected drug taking, heavy drinking, scumbags etc. But what I didn't excpect was to be pushed around and have to listen to really bad sound (Unless you were in the 1st few rows) I now a girl that paid her 80 quid for a ticket and had a football kicked at her by a scumbag on the way in and she missed the gig as she is still in Navan hospital with a broken ankle. Does she have the right to be angry or should she just accept it cause its a "gig"

You've only been to two concerts?? And have you complained to any of the relevant parties, cos they're the ones who can do something about it. MCD/Meath Co. Council etc...

Well then you should take this one as a lesson. Of course there's going to be pushing. you can't expect 80,000+ people to stand like planks not moving. Some people do get out of hand and push for no reason, or push to try get up the front, but pushing comes part and parcel with going to a gig.

What'ev you come as saying the sound was sh*te?! I was way down back by the catering vans and thought the sound was brilliant. Not a flaw with it. (Also, we chose to go down the back, because unfortunately, we didn't get in early enough to get pit bands, so the most sensible thing to do in that case is find a nice roomy spot, because no matter where you are you're not going to get that much of a better view, and we could see it all, and it was class to be able to see the crowd as well)

Thirdly, I'm sorry that your friend got smacked with a football. But I'm sure the guys didn't aim the football at her deliberately, to stop her from going to the gig. Accidents happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mspacman

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I had a fantabulous time, taxi down from Dublin between 6 of us. Taxi man was an absolute gent, let us sup a few tins on the way down so we didn't go near a bar for the duration of the gig.

10 minutes after the fireworks ended I was in my mates car on the way to his local where we drank a few pints and strolled back to his house with bottles of Jameson and Smirnoff that cost the princely sum of €20. Stayed in his house and got up the next morning to fresh brown bread and strawberry jam.

Sublime weekend. Oh, and I got the tickets for free.

/runs away.

You're taking this happiness buzz too far now!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

mspacman wrote:
    Uh-oh there's a lot of glass half-full optimistic posts going on here, I've a feeling when the mitherer's get back on here later on they're not going to be happy campers.
    In fairness I've been to free parties on the dunes of donabate with better organisation and security. Be as dismissive as you like but on Saturday there was the potential for a real tragedy due to really poor crowd control. I have little or no issue with people drinking and taking drugs tbh (though walking in pissy mud isn't great). One decent surge in that crowd on the way in and there would have been a lot of injuries and probably worse. This would certainly have silenced the "ah sure it's a gig" crowd. Some of the sentiments on Joe Duffy were no doubt ridiculous i.e. 'I saw two people do coke off their phone'- (as far as i'm concerned that's their business and not particularily distressing for third parties)

I wouldn't waste my time queueing for beer during a gig either. I also don't want to be wrapped in cotton wool or kept in a bubble away from the "bad people". In my opinion a chillout circulation space at the back of a gig is essential. It allows people to move around the venue, get to the food/bars, jump around or just chillout/sit down and watch the show.

I was there for the prodigy so wasn't exactly after a glass of pinot grigio and a nice risotto. I expect those in the business of making gigs happen (including transport) to consider the legion possibilities and have a plan for dealing with all contingencies. Quite simply these professionals didn't do their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Just sent off my complaints to AGS, MCD and Dublin Bus so will see what happens. I really urge anyone who's not happy to send a complaint....

Will let you know if I get any responses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I now a girl that paid her 80 quid for a ticket and had a football kicked at her by a scumbag on the way in and she missed the gig as she is still in Navan hospital with a broken ankle.
    Three days in hospital with a broken ankle? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Would it be worth adding a poll here to see what percentage of people had a bad experience, the way I see it anyone from the Navan side had little or no problems.
    For me I had one of the best days out ever and didn’t see anything that I wasn’t expecting. I was half way back on the lower side all day and had no problems with sound or viewing. Bar was not the end of the world and food toilets were easy access.

One of the highlights of the day was a pair of scumbagette's who went to the bar via the exit held their hands up and anyone who said anything got quickly told to f$%k yourself. They passed the security guard (who was doing a great job by the way , he held a quarter of the q back so only 20 got near the bar at any one time so I kept going back to the same q as it was 10mins quicker) he couldn’t get to them . They pushed straight to the bar got two drinks each but on the way back one was still mouthing off to people only for some lad to slap the drink from her hands and the bouncer running her to the back of the q.

bennyc wrote: »
    Would it be worth adding a poll here to see what percentage of people had a bad experience
    Lets be honest the majority of people who will visit this thread are on to complain as people don't generally go out of their way to comment on a positive experience.

The poll would prove nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

mspacman wrote: »
    You've only been to two concerts?? And have you complained to any of the relevant parties, cos they're the ones who can do something about it. MCD/Meath Co. Council etc...

Well then you should take this one as a lesson. Of course there's going to be pushing. you can't expect 80,000+ people to stand like planks not moving. Some people do get out of hand and push for no reason, or push to try get up the front, but pushing comes part and parcel with going to a gig.

What'ev you come as saying the sound was sh*te?! I was way down back by the catering vans and thought the sound was brilliant. Not a flaw with it. (Also, we chose to go down the back, because unfortunately, we didn't get in early enough to get pit bands, so the most sensible thing to do in that case is find a nice roomy spot, because no matter where you are you're not going to get that much of a better view, and we could see it all, and it was class to be able to see the crowd as well)

Thirdly, I'm sorry that your friend got smacked with a football. But I'm sure the guys didn't aim the football at her deliberately, to stop her from going to the gig. Accidents happen.

Yep 2 concerts the other was Iron Maiden (Who I had never heard before did it as a favour to a mate :D) I did complain to MCD.

I never complained about the pushing and that like you said certain things are expected but is there not a certain point when it stops being just another thing to expect from a gig. It starts getting dangerous and tbh the people were on their best behaviour bar a bit of hustle bustle and few fences knocked down because all it would have took in that forest is for a couple of lads to go "Here lets start a riot" and there would have been. I seen a couple of fights (Expected) but they were broken up by other lads (Not with the 2 guys fighting) where were the Guards for this? They should be scatterd down that forest and not stewards who just stood there watching fences

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The main thing to remember here is, that nobody involved in that gig(the band, Mountcharles,MCD,Meath CoCo,Dublin Bus etc) give a flyin' f**k about what happened, as long as they get their money! That's what it boils down to at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Ebonyellie

wow, this is the longest thread i have ever read, i wasnt at the gig but ive been to slane 8 times and ive never heard so many complaints about a single gig before. I think its terrible that people have paid that much for a ticket and had such bad expierences, and the posters that with the " will ye quit moanin' " attitude realise the difference between moaning and real grievances. moaning is "my beer was watered down / the portaloo was filthy/the sound was crap/i was ripped off for food" . Serious issues are the likes of the huge queues, overcrowding, no transportation, violence - seriously, how can you expect these to be the normal run of things at any concert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

It was a Rock Concert WIMPS! What did ye expect?

In the future, Slane's attendance level should be capped at 40,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GK2009

I can not believe you are a seasoned festival goer - if you were you would know this was nothing like the atmosphere, safety and quality of experience you get from other outdoor events - you expect some queuing yes - but nothing like this.
    I think we need to be clear that it was the organisation in light of the number of people - rather than the number of people or the actual people that were the problem. If you create a tense atomosphere you will get fights. Simples

In the future, Slane's attendance level should be capped at 40,000.
    Based on what? The site is well capable of holding more than 40,000 (80,000 easily) with the right traffic, people and facility plans in place and implemented correctly.

Slane will never hold 40,000 capacity gigs as it wouldn't make sense financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Three days in hospital with a broken ankle? :rolleyes:

Yes...... and :rolleyes:

Based on what? The site is well capable of holding more than 40,000 (80,000 easily) with the right traffic, people and facility plans in place and implemented correctly.

Slane will never hold 40,000 capacity gigs as it wouldn't make sense financially.

Which answers my point about the promoters etc, not giving a damn about all the complaints, as the only thing they are interested in is how much money they make! And I actually meant that the capacity should be capped at that level from a safety point of view.

Which answers my point about the promoters etc, not giving a damn about all the complaints, as the only thing they are interested in is how much money they make!
    Thats your opinion of course, an unsubstantiated one at that.

I'm sure all the complaints will be dealt with and have no reason to doubt that they won't.

Thats your opinion of course, an unsubstantiated one at that.

I'm sure all the complaints will be dealt with and have no reason to doubt that they won't.

I complained about their organisation of the Metallica gig in Marlay Park last year, and got no reply from them whatsoever. They didn't give a damn! If they do reply to the thousands of people who do have legitimate complaints, it will only be because of the coverage it has gotten in the media and sites like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

i was there at the weekend, i personally had a brilliant time, but do agree about the shambles that was made of the queues, bar and the number of waster / scummers that were in there. i was right next to a 4 man brawl in the bar queue and only one tiny little garda came to break it up... and its a wonder there wasn't many more as people were really taking the piss by just wandering up the exit aisle for the bar to get drinks and people were not happy... riot time easily.

but personally, we had a little crowd of 6 and stayed up the middle/top of the hill, saw everything, no pushing, plenty of room and sound was spot on.

if you go into the pit, defo expect trouble, specially with prodigy/oasis.

if i was such inclined and arsed i would complain to mcd for there blatant lack of organisation and disregard for human safety.

however oasis rocked the socks off the place, as did prodigy and kasabian.

dunno if i would go again, depends on the band, but defo not put off for life...

• Advertisement

I complained about their organisation of the Metallica gig in Marlay Park last year, and got no reply from them whatsoever.
    I'm talking about Slane 2009 and nothing else. I'm sure complaints will be handled professionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭smileyxx

Im going to Coldplay in Phoenix Park in September...although it only holds 40000 will it be as bad as this?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GerHorgan

They were in top form and the gig was epic...even "biblical" as Noel would say!!!!!!!

there's nothing worse than a bunch of moaning joe's after a gig like this!!!

So what, if people chose to get out of their minds on drink or drugs, as long as it doesn't harm/ruin your day, get on with it.

I reallly wish that this gig (a gig that will undoubtedly go down in history!)

Can I just say THANK YOU NOEL/LIAM for the gig of the year....absolutely sublime.

mspacman you sound like a jerk if this was the best concert you ever seen you have not seen much. Oasis were at their best in the 1990s not 2009 you sound like a teenager who wants to be in with the cool crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

smileyxx wrote: »
    Im going to Coldplay in Phoenix Park in September...although it only holds 40000 will it be as bad as this?!

i'd expect a quieter crowd at coldplay. same with the likes of r.e.m.

rock/indie bands always get a more scummier clientèle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 really reilly

will people stop going on about squeezing through 1 entrance / exit when their was in fact three entance/exits

• Registered Users Posts: 45 really reilly

Glad you all had a good time but jaysus could you at least ignore the people that had problems instead of "Oh your no real concert goer" "Bunch of moaners" I complained as well, am I a real concert goer? No I have been to 2 in my life that was my first open air and I expected drug taking, heavy drinking, scumbags etc. But what I didn't excpect was to be pushed around and have to listen to really bad sound (Unless you were in the 1st few rows) I now a girl that paid her 80 quid for a ticket and had a football kicked at her by a scumbag on the way in and she missed the gig as she is still in Navan hospital with a broken ankle. Does she have the right to be angry or should she just accept it cause its a "gig"
    that a shame lad .but can ya really blame slane and the organisers for a muppet that does that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭crushproof

Fantastic gig from Kasabian, Prodigy and Oasis. Great time spent before the barriers at the bridge chilling in the sun and then having a few in the old Chimney place beside the bridge.
    The squeeze in through the narrow forest path was a shambles but wasn't too bad, no major issues when we were walking through. Inside was grand but for having to fork out a DISGRACEFUL 2 euro for a cup of water. Yes water was free but only at the front of the stage, pretty hard to get there don't you think?! (especially during the prodigy). The 2 euro water really was the most unbelieveable aspect of the gig.
    Luckily had a private coach hired but still had to walk ages to find it, was convinced it had left us behind! Didn't get home to south Dublin until 3.30am.
    To be honest while crawling through the traffic on the coach it was like looking out at a refugee crisis along the road, people all along the ditches, just walking and walking to nowhere and huddling outside refugee aid centres (aka petrol stations).
    Absolute disgrace, I've lodged a complaint with MCD.

PS
    10 people were detained on public order offences throughout the day of the concert, including a male who was found courting sheep in an adjacent field and two people who were arrested on suspicion of drink driving
    from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slane_Concert
    Now its from Wiki but hilarious all the same...any truth in it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 presetbandit

will people stop going on about squeezing through 1 entrance / exit when their was in fact three entance/exits

you sure u don't work for mcd ? as your nearly too defensive of the three entrance's , its the second post u have made about this, the fact is that the bulk of the crowd would have entered threw that entrance, if it was 60 or 40,000 people went that way , it still wasn't safe as the pics show.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Plenty of moaners on here.

I thought it was a quality gig all round, all the acts were excellent and the weather was great too.

Buses were slow to leave but wtf does one expect after a gig with 80,000 people??

Gigs are always full of people drunk etc, that is the way it has always been, and will always be.

Roll on Slane 2010 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭crushproof

Plenty of moaners on here.

I thought it was a quality gig all round, all the acts were excellent and the weather was great too.

Buses were slow to leave but wtf does one expect after a gig with 80,000 people??

Gigs are always full of people drunk etc, that is the way it has always been, and will always be.

Roll on Slane 2010

Great gig but the organisation was a shambles. Yes buses were slow to leave but there also wasn't enough buses to cater for the amount of people travelling by Dublin Bus/Bus Eireann!
    And defiantly, roll on Slane 2010, another whopper of a gig (with more sensible planning perhaps!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement