Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLANE 2009 Oasis - All Discussion - No ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 really reilly

you sure u don't work for mcd ? as your nearly too defensive of the three entrance's , its the second post u have made about this, the fact is that the bulk of the crowd would have entered threw that entrance, if it was 60 or 40,000 people went that way , it still wasn't safe as the pics show.
    no lad i def don,t work for m.c.d or anythin to do with the concert . just eeveryone keeps saying 1 exit lad.i know it was jammed coming out as was the navan one. im a massive music fan and go to bout 10 concerts a year it,s always the same though with the crowd leavin. and then onto the radio ta complain

agree totally lad was a top notch show

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pk88

unfortunatly i was lto late to see kasiben i got there as they just finished up but was my own fault.ha.When i got there got a drink of water in a cup 2 euro bit over the odds bt didn complain to much.As for the prodigey i tought they were unreal and if people are going to complain about getting pushed around while they were playing im afraid you dont belong at any gig.Ha.Before Oasis came on I was able to make my up to the free water and toliets with no hassel.From then i made my way to the barrier near the pit no in the pit behind it.I had the time of my life when Oasis came on until some absoulte scumbag Pissed in the hood of my jumper which i had tied around my waist!!!was not happy atal!!After the gig although it took a long time to get out of the field i wasnt to bothered and just had some friendly banter with people!!But as I was going to drogheda i had 2 walk the whole way back could not get any taxi or bus it was an absoulte disgrace.Then back to dublin!!Didnt get home till all hours!!

The gig = Brillant!!

Organisation = Brutal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dr oatker

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Plenty of moaners on here.

I thought it was a quality gig all round, all the acts were excellent and the weather was great too.

Buses were slow to leave but wtf does one expect after a gig with 80,000 people??

Gigs are always full of people drunk etc, that is the way it has always been, and will always be.

Roll on Slane 2010 :)

Probably won't be until 2011 as a pattern seems to be emerging of having them every second year. 60,000 might be a more sensible figure to cap the attendance at. There aren't too many bands that could sell more than that anyway.

Anyway I propose Led Zepplin for Slane 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

NIBBS wrote: »
    Ok I'll say it one more time - Dublin Bus were responsible for running a bus service for a concert with an 80,000 capacity - correct ?
    If Dublin Bus did not expect such a large number of people to turn up for bus tickets, then how come they didnt run out of Bus tickets?? I bought two from Parnell Sq and its not like they were printed out there and then as they were paid for. Of course they new, surely this isnt the first year were the tickets could have been booked before hand?

It's a lot easier to find the space to store 17,000 bus tickets than it is find the space for 17,000 people and the buses and bus drivers to accomodate them. Have a read of AlexSmarts post on page 60 something which will explain some of the problems they have getting enough drivers and buses to do these type of gigs.

Yes they make allowances for people turning up on the day. Probably 4/5,000 people. Not everyone going to the gig goes from Dublin so it would be stupid of them to have enough buses to accomadate the entire 80,000 crowd on the off chance that they all might decide to go from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dr oatker

It's a lot easier to find the space to store 17,000 bus tickets than it is find the space for 17,000 people and the buses and bus drivers to accomodate them. Have a read of AlexSmarts post on page 60 something which will explain some of the problems they have getting enough drivers and buses to do these type of gigs.

Yes they make allowances for people turning up on the day. Probably 4/5,000 people. Not everyone going to the gig goes from Dublin so it would be stupid of them to have enough buses to accomadate the entire 80,000 crowd on the off chance that they all might decide to go from Dublin.

Yeah, but they could estimate for maybe 20,000- 30000 given that nearly 1 third of the population of Ireland live in Dublin and it's environs. It seems a bit short sighted to encourage people nto use public transport but then not have sufficent resources deployed to deal with them when they heed the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Got a reply from the Garda Press Office this morning. So far they are the only ones to acknowledge my complaint.

Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. Your comments have been noted here, and are being forwarded on to the appropriate department. I suggest you also email contact@mcd.ie with your observations.

Kind regards,
    (garda's name)
    Garda Press Office

dr oatker wrote: »
    Yeah, but they could estimate for maybe 20,000- 30000 given that nearly 1 third of the population of Ireland live in Dublin and it's environs. It seems a bit short sighted to encourage people nto use public transport but then not have sufficent resources deployed to deal with them when they heed the advice.

Why would they estimate for an extra 20/30,000 on top of the people who had bought their tickets on-line? That would be an extra 300 buses plus drivers. If people had bought there bus tickets on line (the option was right there on ticketmaster when buying your ticket) then they would have known exactly how many buses they needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

smileyxx wrote: »
    Im going to Coldplay in Phoenix Park in September...although it only holds 40000 will it be as bad as this?!
    Well if it's anything like the RHCP gig there it'll be a disaster. Sound was terrible, queues for drinks were a shambles, screens weren't working for most of the day and when they were working they were terribly out of sync with the music. Plus, because it was a flat field (unlike Slane) it was very difficult to see the stage if you were anyway back from it which just made the fiasco with the screens ever worse.

It was actually around the time when I started to give up on big outdoor gigs. I decided to vote with my tired feet.

So yeah, you'll have a great day! ;)

On the plus side though, I reckon there won't be as many at the Coldplay gig.

Why would they estimate for an extra 20/30,000 on top of the people who had bought their tickets on-line? That would be an extra 300 buses plus drivers. If people had bought there bus tickets on line (the option was right there on ticketmaster when buying your ticket) then they would have known exactly how many buses they needed.
    In the same way that you say that people should expect drunk and boisterous people at gigs Dublin Bus should expect people to buy tickets on the day. It's called contingency. It's not as if it's the first Slane or major public event we've ever had in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Liveline covering it again today. Guy had a theory that thousands of copied etickets were being presented and slowing queue right down forcing them to open up gates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I have to laugh at all the tools here waffling "it's a rock concert lad, what do you expect our boy" and all that nonsense. Clearly the Oasis gig has been their first large scale gig if they think this is the 'norm'.

I've been to several Slane gigs, Witness before it became Oxegen, Electric Picnic, gigs in the Phoenix Park etc etc so I'm a seasoned gig goer. I didn't go to Slane as as I said in a previous post, I'd never do Slane again, particularly for Oasis as the scumbag quotient would be quite big, but family and friends did. Not one outdoor gig had this level of disorganisation before, by all accounts this year was farcical. Slane has always been messy but there was never hassle at the forrest walk, from looking at the aerial photos it was never that packed as it was and it wasn't too bad to get home afterwards.

Now I'd suggest all these "It's a rock concert man" get a little more familiar with gigs and events before they waffle all as clearly this is not the norm.

Understand that our wannabe Liam/Noels ?

P.S. Anyone know if either of the security companys did EP last year ? There was one crowd at EP last year which I suspect were made up of probationers flown in from Scotland or the north.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    In the same way that you say that people should expect drunk and boisterous people at gigs Dublin Bus should expect people to buy tickets on the day. It's called contingency. It's not as if it's the first Slane or major public event we've ever had in the country.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't expect people to turn up on the day but an extra 17,000 is a lot of buses. You can't seriously expect them to accomadate all those extra people without any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

So if we are to believe JIP every single Oasis fan is a scumbag Liam/Noel wannabe, pissed up, acting loutish etc...nice little cliche that. So I suppose all the little scrotes who were there for the prodigy behaved like little angels:rolleyes:

Jip wrote: »
    I have to laught at all the tools here waffling "it's a rock concert lad, what do you expect our boy" and all that nonsense. Clearly the Oasis gig has been their first large scale gig if they think this is the 'norm'.

I've been to several Slane gigs, Witness before it became Oxegen, Electric Picnic, gigs in the Phoenix Park etc etc so I'm a seasoned gig goer. I've didn't go to Slane as as I said in a previous post, I'd never to Slane again, particularly for Oasis as the scumbag quotient would be quite big, but family and friends did. Not one outdoor gig had this level of disorganisation before, by all accounts this year was farcical. Slane has always been messy but there was never hassle at the forrest walk, from looking at the aerial photos it was never that packed as it was and it wasn't too bad to get home afterwards.

Now I'd suggest all these "It's a rock concert man" get a little more familiar with gigs and events before they waffle all as clearly this is not the norm.

P.S. Anyone know if either of the security companys did EP last year ? There was one crowd at EP last year which I suspect were made up of probationers flown in from Scotland or the north.
    im thinkin that might be a shot at me lad .have bin going ta the same fests as you witness before it became oxegen but the people complainin is the ones who must never have beeen to a majoe fest or concert im not tryin ta slag them off but its the same at every festival . electric picnic is probably the most laid back

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Liveline covering it again today. Guy had a theory that thousands of copied etickets were being presented and slowing queue right down forcing them to open up gates.
    That was actually something I was wondering about. What would've happened if say 20 people ended up in that forest without tickets? How would they get turned back throw the crowd? It would've caused chaos. The tickets should've been checked before anybody was allowed near the forest walk. And there should be no bars, toilets, or food outlets near any of the main entrances. Simple common sense stuff.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't expect people to turn up on the day but an extra 17,000 is a lot of buses. You can't seriously expect them to accomadate all those extra people without any hassle.
    I don't know, if never had to organise the transportation of thousands of people in one day. I know a company that has though.

So if we are to believe JIP every single Oasis fan is a scumbag Liam/Noel wannabe, pissed up, acting loutish etc...nice little cliche that. So I suppose all the little scrotes who were there for the prodigy behaved like little angels:rolleyes:

And where exactly did I say that ? Now go back and reread what I posted. When you find where I said all Oasis fans are scumbags post it here please.

I've been to Oasis gigs before, when their songs sounded original for their time, not like now where every album since the 90s sounds the same, but's that for a different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mspacman

GerHorgan wrote: »
    mspacman you sound like a jerk if this was the best concert you ever seen you have not seen much. Oasis were at their best in the 1990s not 2009 you sound like a teenager who wants to be in with the cool crowd

Ok what substantiates your claim there? I'm mid-twenties, and have seen Oasis on numerous occasions, including back in the 90s. I was merely saying that Oasis played a blinder of a gig, Dig out your Soul is their best album for years (by far) and I just think that they seem to be back on form!!! After a couple of dodgy years...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't think that's what he meant. They shouldn't have sold those tickets if they didn't have the buses and drivers available to cover them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Teresa1984

I was Robbie Williams and the Chilli's at Phoenix park and both were very well organised. the usual walk, you'd be tired like, but very safe, and plenty of stewards around who were actually effective if there were messers. enjoy coldplay!!:)

I have to laugh at all the tools here waffling "it's a rock concert lad, what do you expect our boy" and all that nonsense. Clearly the Oasis gig has been their first large scale gig if they think this is the 'norm'.

I've been to several Slane gigs, Witness before it became Oxegen, Electric Picnic, gigs in the Phoenix Park etc etc so I'm a seasoned gig goer. I've didn't go to Slane as as I said in a previous post, I'd never to Slane again, particularly for Oasis as the scumbag quotient would be quite big, but family and friends did. Not one outdoor gig had this level of disorganisation before, by all accounts this year was farcical. Slane has always been messy but there was never hassle at the forrest walk, from looking at the aerial photos it was never that packed as it was and it wasn't too bad to get home afterwards.

Ok what gives you the right to bundle all Oasis fans into one snotty-nosed cliche???

And I too have been to Witness, Slane, Oxegen, EP and Roskilde as well as many other large scale outdoor gigs. The last time I was at Slane was '02, when Phonics headlined, and let me tell you, I found that gig a lot rougher than this. I didn't see any crazy moshing going on on Saturday, with people getting crushed in the crowds, whereas last time, when Nickleback were playing, there were hundreds of people couldn't get up off the ground cos there was such a crush!

A lot of these people complaining about this gig have obviously never been to a gig before, let alone Slane. There should be a warning in large bold print on the tickets that you have to walk to get to the gig. It's a given with Slane. And how do people expect that they don't have to walk a couple miles to get to the buses?? With crowds walking out on the roads, you can't exactly bring the buses right up to the gates!

There were two problems with this gig, 1: Lack of bars, Oxegen takes in about 80,000 people but there must be at least 8 bars (?!) at Oxegen! Three bars at Slane was just a joke. 2: There was obviously a problem with lack of buses provided by Dublin bus, but people can't realistically expect to get out of the gig and hop on a bus home straight away.

• Advertisement

mspacman wrote: »
    Ok what gives you the right to bundle all Oasis fans into one snotty-nosed cliche???

Just like I asked Trafford Lad I'll ask you, maybe you can work together on this, where did I say that ?

I've been to several Slane gigs, Witness before it became Oxegen, Electric Picnic, gigs in the Phoenix Park etc etc so I'm a seasoned gig goer. I didn't go to Slane as as I said in a previous post, I'd never do Slane again, particularly for Oasis as the scumbag quotient would be quite big, but family and friends did. Not one outdoor gig had this level of disorganisation before, by all accounts this year was farcical. Slane has always been messy but there was never hassle at the forrest walk, from looking at the aerial photos it was never that packed as it was and it wasn't too bad to get home afterwards.

See the parts of YOUR post marked above!!!

Stark wrote: »
    I don't think that's what he meant. They shouldn't have sold those tickets if they didn't have the buses and drivers available to cover them.

Maybe but then you'd still have the same people complaining that they never got to the gig. What I was saying is that if all those people had booked their tickets in advance then Dublin Bus would have know the exact numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

Ok what substantiates your claim there? I'm mid-twenties, and have seen Oasis on numerous occasions, including back in the 90s. I was merely saying that Oasis played a blinder of a gig, Dig out your Soul is their best album for years (by far) and I just think that they seem to be back on form!!! After a couple of dodgy years...

+1

Ive seen Oasis in cork,point 3 times and in landsdowne and I have to say Slane was the best outta the lot of them, they were on top form, brilliant set with Live Forever, The Masterplan and Half The World Away the highlights for me,was tears in my eyes at some stage it was that emotional

See the parts of YOUR post marked above!!!

Sorry, I may have gone blind but I still have to find out where I said that all Oasis fans are scum bags/grouped them into the one tired cliche.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭squonk

im thinkin that might be a shot at me lad .have bin going ta the same fests as you witness before it became oxegen but the people complainin is the ones who must never have beeen to a majoe fest or concert im not tryin ta slag them off but its the same at every festival . electric picnic is probably the most laid back

Sorry Reilly but I was one of the complainers and I'm a seasoned gig goer. I've done Oxegen and Marlay Pk, Malahide Castle etc. You can't just say that the people complaining must never have been to a major festival because that's simply not true. The big gigs always require the extra effort and are always well worth that effort in the end, Saturday though wasn't worth the effort because the organisation was total crap. How you can't see this is beyond me!

ta jib .. you said the scumbag quotient would be quite big . would ya not think calling people wannabe noel and liams a small bit childish, just because the have an opinion different ta your own

RastaRed wrote: »
    +1

Ive seen Oasis in cork,point 3 times and in landsdowne and I have to say Slane was the best outta the lot of them, they were on top form, brilliant set with Live Forever, The Masterplan and Half The World Away the highlights for me,was tears in my eyes at some stage it was that emotional

Of course it was a brilliant gig!! You could even see Noel was moved by it at parts....after Don't look back in anger!!!

QUALITY GIG!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 me_shell_86

true, buses were a sham, for marlay park it was so well organised, a whole field of buses waiting, short queues loading ppl on as fast as possible then bus went straight away....

• Advertisement

Sorry, I may have gone blind but I still have to find out where I said that all Oasis fans are scum bags/grouped them into the one tired cliche.

You're implying that anyone who disagrees with your opinion is a Noel/Liam wannabe!!!

Run along now, you're missing out on Joe Duffy's moan session!!! And actually from what I heard of Joe Duffy today, even he seems to think that this is been blown out of proportion, from photos people were sending in. Like that one posted here about 5/6 pages back, it was a normal walk into a massive gig....what was the point in that person uploading that photo!!

And also, as Joe Duffy said, why are there no photos of the "crushes" and the anti-social behaviour?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement