Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLANE 2009 Oasis - All Discussion - No ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 really reilly

squonk wrote: »
    Sorry Reilly but I was one of the complainers and I'm a seasoned gig goer. I've done Oxegen and Marlay Pk, Malahide Castle etc. You can't just say that the people complaining must never have been to a major festival because that's simply not true. The big gigs always require the extra effort and are always well worth that effort in the end, Saturday though wasn't worth the effort because the organisation was total crap. How you can't see this is beyond me!
    iknow that a lot of people have genuine complaints you probably included yourself but their is just so many people complaining about the pettiest of things .i just might av bin a lucky 1 saturday and the thirty or so with we just saw no hassle at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

First time at Slane and last time at Slane. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

mspacman wrote: »

And also, as Joe Duffy said, why are there no photos of the "crushes" and the anti-social behaviour?

maybe it's just me but if I was in an area where a crush was a high probability reaching for my phone to take a picture would be the last thing on my mind. I'd rather keep my arms in front of me for any bit of protection it may provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mspacman

maybe it's just me but if I was in an area where a crush was a high probability reaching for my phone to take a picture would be the last thing on my mind. I'd rather keep my arms in front of me for any bit of protection it may provide.

Yeah that's a normal person's reactions,but you always find the couple people who are more interested in taking pictures with their phones than actually helping anyone up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dr oatker

Maybe but then you'd still have the same people complaining that they never got to the gig. What I was saying is that if all those people had booked their tickets in advance then Dublin Bus would have know the exact numbers.

Then they should not have sold tickets on the day. They should have stated at the time of the tickets going on sale that bus tickets could only be purchased online and anyone showing up on the day without a prepurchased ticket would not get on a bus. They didn't do that so in reality they had no idea how many people they were going to have to ferry to and from Slane. No wonder there was chaos!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

it was a normal walk into a massive gig....

Eh no it wasn't. I wasn't at it but it's completely fenced in, very narrow and very crowded. I think people are right to say that there could very easily have been a crush in that area.

I'm trying to think of any other large gigs that have an entry like this and the only one I can think of is Malahide Castle, where you do walk a long a pathway. The difference there though is that it isn't fenced off so there is always more room if it's too crowded or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Misscis

I was also at the gig and although i got there earlier than you and it seems i was extremely lucky from what some of my friends experienced it was an absolute shambles of an experience! I loved all the bands i got to hear although i spent the entirety of Kasabians set in the biggest mess of a que for the bar and did not arrive back to dublin on the bus until 4!!!!! I was not lucky enough to get to the bus early as the directions to hand were a joke and who would have thought you had to walk half a mile in utter darkness even though it was supposed to be an organised event! The garda had a check point which meant we moved 20feet in 90mins!! Biggest nightmare ever! Thought it was because i am too old but younger friends have said the same! Biggest waste of money ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

crushproof wrote: »
    The squeeze in through the narrow forest path was a shambles

Lol at crushproof complaining about squeezing along the path. Sure it's not a problem to you!! :D

But seriously everyone moaning, the gig was 4 days ago. You all survived. Everyone I've spoken to enjoyed the music. Get over it.

Let's do as we're told by the masters and Don't look back in anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Lol at crushproof complaining about squeezing along the path. Sure it's not a problem to you!! :D

But seriously everyone moaning, the gig was 4 days ago. You all survived. Everyone I've spoken to enjoyed the music. Get over it.

Let's do as we're told by the masters and Don't look back in anger.
    Rearrange the letters of the second part of your name and what do we get...?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Rearrange the letters of the second part of your name and what do we get...?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Misscis wrote: »
    I was also at the gig and although i got there earlier than you and it seems i was extremely lucky from what some of my friends experienced it was an absolute shambles of an experience! I loved all the bands i got to hear although i spent the entirety of Kasabians set in the biggest mess of a que for the bar and did not arrive back to dublin on the bus until 4!!!!! I was not lucky enough to get to the bus early as the directions to hand were a joke and who would have thought you had to walk half a mile in utter darkness even though it was supposed to be an organised event! The garda had a check point which meant we moved 20feet in 90mins!! Biggest nightmare ever! Thought it was because i am too old but younger friends have said the same! Biggest waste of money ever!

:eek: A person with only a small number of posts complaining about the gig??? Must work for Aiken Promotions:p

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

dr oatker wrote: »
    Then they should not have sold tickets on the day. They should have stated at the time of the tickets going on sale that bus tickets could only be purchased online and anyone showing up on the day without a prepurchased ticket would not get on a bus. They didn't do that so in reality they had no idea how many people they were going to have to ferry to and from Slane. No wonder there was chaos!

Wouldn't they have a general idea on how many buses they needed for the return journey though? Would it be much issue getting extra drivers at short notice? (honest question).

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ant_moore123

for marlay park it was so well organised, a whole field of buses waiting, short queues loading ppl on as fast as possible then bus went straight away....

But there was probably only 20% of the people at that gig, they could hardly get that wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sammie123

ok first of all i want to say that the gig was brilliant, kasabian and the prodigy stole the show for me! oasis were great too so nothing wrong with the show but the mess that was going on before, during and after was not good

im from donegal so was coming from the north west side when we arrived from that side about one o clock for 5 miles along side the road buses were parked and people havinga gud time drinking at the side of the road, it wasnt until the last check before inside the venue that my ticket was checked, i
    thought 6 euro for a pint was a disgrace, i remember looking around slane and saying to my friend if sumbody said to me there was 150,000 ppl here i wudnt be suprised because u cudnt move anywhere.

at no stage during that concert did i feel safe, glass bottles were been throwen, fair enough toilet roll was thrown and that kinda thing but glass bottles is a disgrace and people should have been thrown out for it but there was nobody there to throw them out! i saw 3 police inside the venue and 2 of them were having their photo taken with people there! i saw 10 fights at least inside the venue and nothing was done about it

i left about 2 songs from the end of the whole thing coz i knew i was never gonna make my bus and i think that was the best descision that i made, i dont understand why the people from the dublin side were not allowed leave the way they came in, they all went through slane village which led to more confusion

2 people on my bus got lost and ended up walking half way to drogheda, our bus driver went to pick them and there was no lights on the road and i dont know how many people he nearly ran over who were on the road crying that they cudnt get home

anybody who says that u wud expect this at a concert is a disgrace, ive been to loads of concerts that ive felt a lot safer at, i was at the rolling stones 2 years ago at slane and that was a lot safer and a lot better organised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SarahMary

crushproof wrote: »
    Fantastic gig from Kasabian, Prodigy and Oasis. Great time spent before the barriers at the bridge chilling in the sun and then having a few in the old Chimney place beside the bridge.
    The squeeze in through the narrow forest path was a shambles but wasn't too bad, no major issues when we were walking through. Inside was grand but for having to fork out a DISGRACEFUL 2 euro for a cup of water. Yes water was free but only at the front of the stage, pretty hard to get there don't you think?! (especially during the prodigy). The 2 euro water really was the most unbelieveable aspect of the gig.
    Luckily had a private coach hired but still had to walk ages to find it, was convinced it had left us behind! Didn't get home to south Dublin until 3.30am.
    To be honest while crawling through the traffic on the coach it was like looking out at a refugee crisis along the road, people all along the ditches, just walking and walking to nowhere and huddling outside refugee aid centres (aka petrol stations).
    Absolute disgrace, I've lodged a complaint with MCD.

PS from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slane_Concert
    Now its from Wiki but hilarious all the same...any truth in it?!
    Courting sheep in Meath, get out of town!!! Sure any port in a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

sammie123 wrote: »
    i dont understand why the people from the dublin side were not allowed leave the way they came in

In fairness if they had sent us back down that narrow muddy path in the forest, could have been seriously injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dr oatker

Kazooie wrote: »
    Wouldn't they have a general idea on how many buses they needed for the return journey though? Would it be much issue getting extra drivers at short notice? (honest question).

You would imagine that past experience would have given them an idea but they obviously got it wrong, and it must have been an issue getting extra drivers at short notice otherwise people wouldn't have been left sitting on the side of the road for hours. I didn't use Dublin Bus so I have no axe to grind but they should have sold tickets online and not on the day, then they would have known exactly what numbers they were dealing with and planned accordingly.

to lordgoat could u please tell me who i insulted ? honest question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Have a read of this post. It explains a lot of the problems with getting extra drivers and buses etc very well.
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    A big +1 to that.

However I do concur with Wile.E.Coyote in respect of peoples expectations in relation to attending such an event in a small town such as Slane.

I did one trip to Slane in the early afternoon and even at 14.30 things were going seriously awry in terms of crowd control and stewarding.

I have worked on Slane Gigs for 15 years and without doubt the single most Important issue is CO-OPERATION between the Agencies.

The major Agencies in-this-case are NOT MCD or Henry Mountcharles,whose remit and responsibilities end at Slane`s boundary wall,but the Gardai and the Major Transport Providers INCLUDING the great swathe of Private Coach and Bus operators travelling from far flung corners of Ireland.

The essential thrust should ALWAYS be to maintain a Flow of vehicles,however slow,to the closest point which can be safely accessed by a Fully Laden Double Deck Bus....(Somebody`s driveway will not suffice).

This entails having a secure and spacious TURNING AREA marked out and fully marshalled in Slane,with immediate and fast disembarkation of large numbers possible.

With each and every Slane event,this simple and necessary element becomes further from actuality.
    This lack of definite pre-planned Drop-Off then leads to the bunching of buses which was a feature of Public Transport access ALL -DAY on Saturday.

Once the Buses stopped to allow the Piss-Takers off that in turn led to further delay and the knock-on,knock- back effect took hold.
    The first major delay leading to a tailback then saw Busdrivers pressurized into allowing passengers to disembark and start walking to Slane.

Many of the young punters on My bus were Slane newbies,and the Village might as well have been in Afghanistan,for all the local knowledge they possessed,but they were adamant that they would get off and walk,cos they were pisxed off sittin.....I`m not a jailer,and my attempts to reason or explain were lost in a haze of Bulmers n`Belch.

I was most reluctant to allow anybody off to start walking as this of itself immediately caused major problems for the buses following behind who had a rapidly increasing amount of "Tired and Emotional" pedestrians to avoid killing as they attempted to get to the Drop-Off point.

The issue of Buses and Coaches Parking-Up allong the N2 really needs to be addressed ASAP and in advance of any more events here,as it completely frustrates the safe operation of any Public Transport Plan which relies on using two-way traffic on the N2.

The only way it can be tolerated is if the N2 is made One-Way and ALL returning Buses are directed to a DEDICATED alternative route back to Dublin to reload and return.

Equally,at the end-of-event the N2 should be One-Way OUT of Slane and returning Buses utilize the same alternative in reverse to reload.

ALL of this is ABC stuff and hardly rocket science BUT it underlines a far greater deficiency in our native physche.
    We,as a culture,simply will NOT have anything to do with the imposition of a plan,scheme,or rule which is devised in the common good....NO WAY !

Slane 2009 was so very close to becoming a major Public Order incident with so much opportunity for disaster it was scary....and that was at 14.30 in the afternoon !! :eek:

Some elements of the Bus Operation need serious revision,starting with the need for continious movement and guaranteed access/exit from the Site.
    Posters who speak of using fields to park-up Buses need to get that idea out of their heads as it is simply NOT POSSIBLE to use an ordinary field to park hundreds of 12 tonne buses/coaches.
    (UNLESS...One seeks assistance from the Military in terms of support and flotation beams used for AFV operations in similar terrain.- I understand such equipment IS available for rent in the UK,but hey...more cost-less gross profit).

There are also some Public Transport/Public Order Policing issues which are specific to Slane 2009 and which were NOT in place in previous years.

1.Dublin Bus operations were constrained by the recent implimentation of the EU Working Time Directive.

This piece of Administrative Fluff (AKA The 48Hour Week) ensured that the Supervisors on the day had even more restriction imposed upon their ability to deploy and utilize Staff.

In many cases Drivers did not have enough available working hours to make themselves available to work Slane in the first instance.
    Subsequently those that did,found themselves running out of working hours before even completing a single round-trip.

This led to drivers,although willing and able to work on,being unable to do so,and the company being unable to ask them.

There are knock on effects also as a requirement for a minimum 10 hour rest period (Seemingly set-in-stone) would result in many ORDINARY Bus services being unable to operate on the following day (Sunday) a their drivers would not have enough (theoretical) rest hours to allow LEGAL working.

There is little doubt but that part of any multi-agency pre-planning for an event such as Slane should entail a suspension of such theoretical administrative frippery IN THE INTERESTS OF PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY.

This can be easily addressed by way of specific Ministerial Dispensation but I would be surprised if any Senior Planner or Civil Servant even considered such a notion so Minister Noel Dempsey was left undisturbed in his Royal County slumber whilst the exhausted peasantry lay about in the ditches of his constituency :(

2. There were also some issues with the availability and deployment of sufficient Garda resources,at a sufficiently early point.

It was immediately noticeable to me that there were FAR less Gardai deployed in the lead up to the perimeter.

This early deployment can be VERY important in maintaining the flow of vehicles so much an essential element of making the thing WORK.

It needs to be remembered that this type of event is like a Swiss Watch (In transport Terms).
    It depends ABSOLUTELY upon getting the flow established and maintained,with NOTHING allowed to restrict it.
    Slane 2009 was a crystal clear Masterclass in how NOT to Police such an event.

One of the obvious aspects is that the resources of the Garda Traffic Divisions need to be fully deployed at an early stage.
    These Officers are totally focused upon Traffic Issues and generally know-their-stuff,to a degree not generally present in an "Ordinary" beat Garda (No offence Gard,but it`s down to the specific Training and experience of the Traffic Corps).

This year,as in other years there were also the problems of Communication between individual Gardai,perhaps from different divisions.
    There needs to be ONE Chief and ALL decisions need to be made by or through that Chief,who needs to be centrally located close to the epicentre.
    (I would suggest that the Traffic situation is sufficently important to merit a dedicated Chief,who is resourced independently of the "General" policing situation).

The general level of dissatisfaction with Bus Atha Cliath`s operation this year is disappointing for me to see,but sadly it reflects just where the company is now after the recent "survival plan" drama.

From my vantage point,Bus Atha Cliath has a huge resource which it needs to repackage and remarket to both MCD,Mountcharles,Meath County Council and the Gardai.
    That resource is the ability to move large numbers of people rapidly IN and OUT of the venue in safety.

However,the company cannot even think of continuing with it`s current Slane "Plan" in the light of the 2009 gig.

The conflict between Buses and Incapicated Pedestrians along dark unfamiliar roads is unsustainable full-stop !

It represents a Risk Factor way beyond what a court of law would deem acceptable for a proffessional operator.

ALL that is required is a fully agreed PLAN,with somebody In-Charge and no deviations permitted from whatever is agreed...however this is Éire so I`m not holding my breath !!! :cool:

Dunno if this has been posted already? Apologies if it has:

STATEMENT ISSUED ON BEHALF OF MCD - OASIS SLANE 2009
    News last updated: 22-06-2009

back to news

We fully accept there were delays entering the venue mainly due to the larger number of fans than expected that used public transport and while this is welcomed it did cause delays. While bus tickets were widely available in advance, going forward we will actively encourage fans to book their bus tickets in advance, as the majority of tickets approx 17,000 were purchased on the day of the event. It is a credit to Dublin Bus that they were able to facilitate the increased numbers, rather than having thousands of fans left stranded.

On site venue bars were the same size/number as previous sell out concerts. To encourage responsible drinking it is policy to serve only 2 pints of beer per person at a time which is welcomed by Gardai, Drinkaware etc however this added to longer queues than acceptable and something which will be reviewed.

Overall the 80,000 fans who attended were extremely well behaved however there will always be a small number of individuals who engage in anti social behaviour which is totally unacceptable. Gardai have reported that there were no major incidents and stated in today’s Irish Independent that the concert passed off better than previous concerts at the venue.

Attendance and capacity for the event was 80,000 which has been the capacity for standing concerts at the venue for the last 20 years.

All the issues raised above will be immediately addressed at the post event debrief meeting and changes will be implemented as required for future Slane concerts.

Should any fans have any concerns or complaints they can contact MCD directly at contact@mcd.ie

• Advertisement

good job it didn rain . ya s wouldn know who ta blame for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Ebonyellie

I blame second rate education for your spelling and grammer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Ebonyellie wrote: »
    Don't be pedantic, nobody cares. I can actually spot three mistakes in your post.

Snap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭woodzyx

I blame second rate education for your spelling and grammer grammar

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Dude people paid for the privilege of MCD organising Slane as experienced concert professionals. There job is namely to minimise the discomfort of concert goers and maximise the safety of visitors within the confines of it being a rock concert. People paid €80 for the privilege. If the deal was (like Woodstock say) and it was gigs in a field then again you wouldn't expect to pay the same.

Similarily dublin bus charged €20 return for a service -something that they as transport professionals have been tasked with doing in a competent way.

We all live in a world where if we don't do our jobs we no longer have jobs. The above simply didn't live up to their responsibilities. Why would you even think to defend that?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The Blonde One

I didn't say that you said you were there. You were saying that what I said about the Manchester gig was rubbish cos you "know some people" who were at the gig. And who's taking my word as the last word? That's ridiculous. You have NO argument so stop trying to pull at straws...

Before this descends into a juvenile slagging match, you and me should just agree to disagree. I thought the post concert organisation was awful, you didn't. We both agree on the fact that the concert was brill. End of? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mspacman

Bahahaha - you corrected someone else's grammar but made a spelling mistake in your own post!!!! LOLS!!!!!!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Teresa1984

columok wrote: »
    Dude people paid for the privilege of MCD organising Slane as experienced concert professionals. There job is namely to minimise the discomfort of concert goers and maximise the safety of visitors within the confines of it being a rock concert. People paid €80 for the privilege. If the deal was (like Woodstock say) and it was gigs in a field then again you wouldn't expect to pay the same.

Similarily dublin bus charged €20 return for a service -something that they as transport professionals have been tasked with doing in a competent way.

We all live in a world where if we don't do our jobs we no longer have jobs. The above simply didn't live up to their responsibilities. Why would you even think to defend that?

+1 I totally agree. If we are encouraged to use a service, and discouraged from driving ourselves, the least we can expect is to get our money's worth. Ok whilst things can happen and we have to accept that, the way we were treated by the Dublin Bus drivers was inexcusable. And I have yet to hear any of them apologize for the shambles they created. Fair enough you might miscalculate by a few buses, but EIGHTY!!!!!!!!! A private company doing this would never get hired again for doing something as stupid and unprofessional as this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

c;

these guys would have done better.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement