Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLANE 2009 Oasis - All Discussion - No ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 pipandtink

BrianD wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is that both MCD and Aiken take a huge interest in the punters health and safety. There is a huge amount of event organisation in the background and anybody who has worked as a supplier to any of these gigs knows all the H&S red tape that you have to go through. Ask MCC for the event plans and you'll see the level of detail.

The reality is that Slane Castle is a nice field converted to a stadium for a day so it's never going to be perfect. People forget that the fact that they were delayed or held back on the way in was for their own safety. If some ticket holders got in without a ticket check then it may have been for their own safety. All of the people who complained on this board of not having their ticket checked seems to have been a valid ticket holder. Of course, there's going to be a few chancers that hop the fences but they were hardly going to head for the ticket queues were they? I don't think there has ever been an outdoor gig without free loaders getting in some how or order. But the notion that 1,000's of people arrived in Slane on the off chance that they could gain admission is simply ridiculous.

The real fact of the matter is that 80,000 people came and went to Slane. I haven't read any reports of medical emergencies (other than the norm), evacuations or fatalities. Despite the claims on these boards I doubt if there were even near misses. The only thing that seems to have happened is that some people got home late and people had to Q longer for bars.

I just love the attitude of Irish fans. They arrive late and drunk to gigs, behave outrageously and then act with righteous indignation when they can't get what they want. I suggest somebody puts up a Facebook page with some sample of how fans should behave. It's time Irish fans started accepting some social responsibility for their behaviour.

I take it you work for one of them organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Own up, which one of you edited the Slane Wikipedia page......
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Given the 2009 economic recession and the move away from foreign holidaying, Slane now attracts substantial amounts of low class people providing a 'day-out' forum for scum, mostly from Dublin.

&

10 people were detained on public order offences throughout the day of the concert, including a male who was found courting sheep in an adjacent field and two people who were arrested on suspicion of drink driving

:D:D

Brian D - are you the same Brian D who works for Phantom FM, a station part-owned by MCD's Denis Desmond?

HAHA! Owned!:D

bigkev49 wrote: »

LMFAO! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

bigkev49 wrote: »

lulz!! All true aswell! :pac:

bono's motorcycle part is funny, is it true?!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Regardless where someone works they are entitled to express their opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

MCD getting bashed on Liveline again today. Security men saying no briefing and information on transport given to them. Tune in at 2pm to hear more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eior

Up from Cork, stayed in Balbriggan... Looked at a map before we set off...Took the R150 via Duleek from Balbriggan... less than half hour to Car Park..... got Taxi €2 from Car Park to Bridge.... Walked in...this must have been 2 o' clock....was there for the whole gig... left just before the fireworks... 3 1/4 hour walk back to Car Park.... and less than half hour drive via the R150 again back to Balbriggan....back for 12...So if the side roads were put in use and take some of the traffic off the N2 and the Motorway I don't think there would be so much of a problem with getting there and back with traffic... Also the way the busses were organised was a disgrace... or should I say not organised... it was unreal... felt sorry for those travelling on them and the distance they had to walk to get to them.... we were going to... so glad we had the car... Also the carry on and attitude of a few louts was uncalled for... but other than that great experiance.... but don't know if I would go again...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

lordgoat wrote: »

Absolutely, 100% right, but given that they are talking about a gig and they work for a company which is part-owned by that promoter who put on that gig, is it not polite that they declare this interest first?

Windowcleaner, up a ladder

lordgoat wrote: »

Lordgoat - I did'nt say he wasnt entitled to express his opinion so I'm not too sure where your coming from Moderator? :confused:

my comment was cynicism as to the content of his post, in where his judgment may be clouded by loyalty...... ;)

• Advertisement

MCD getting bashed on Liveline again today. Security men saying no briefing and information on transport given to them. Tune in at 2pm to hear more.

thanks for info, will tune in....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

pipandtink wrote: »
    I take it you work for one of them organisations.

Why is this the first question asked when someone posts anything thats not complaining about the gig? Not everyone had a bad experience at the gig and everyone is entitled to post their comments either for or against what went on that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I wasn't at Slane last weekend but I was there to see Oasis way back in 1995 with REM. That time the Gig and the Town were alright but the buses home were a complete mess. They were all at a total standstill and jammed full of people. after 3 hours of trying to get on a bus one driver took pity on us (four 15 year old kids) and let us on. we sat in the luggage rack the whole way back to Dublin, we got back to O'Connell Street at about 5.30.

We were lucky to get on a bus, the driver told us that ours was one of the last buses to leave that night, there were thousands of people on the road waving their tickets as the full buses went past.

Seems like not much has changed, surely Meath Co Council must now start to consider whether Slane Castle is a suitable venue for such a concert. If there isn't suitable access and the town isn't able to handle the influx of people then they shouldn't be granting licenses for such gigs. Of course Money talks and there is a lot of it involved in such an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

BrianD wrote: »
    I just love the attitude of Irish fans. They arrive late and drunk to gigs, behave outrageously and then act with righteous indignation when they can't get what they want. I suggest somebody puts up a Facebook page with some sample of how fans should behave. It's time Irish fans started accepting some social responsibility for their behaviour.

Eh I didn't get a drink until I went in and that took an hour, the bus arrived 2 hours before Kasabian were due to start yet we still missed half the act due to the riduculous queue. Wouldn't happen in any other country in the World not even Iran. I will agree with you there were more than enough clowns there taking the p**s, literally (even right beside the blind Guards), but they were not holding up the queues or organising buses so the major issues were caused by the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I wasn't at Slane last weekend but I was there to see Oasis way back in 1995 with REM. That time the Gig and the Town were alright but the buses home were a complete mess. They were all at a total standstill and jammed full of people. after 3 hours of trying to get on a bus one driver took pity on us (four 15 year old kids) and let us on. we sat in the luggage rack the whole way back to Dublin, we got back to O'Connell Street at about 5.30.

We were lucky to get on a bus, the driver told us that ours was one of the last buses to leave that night, there were thousands of people on the road waving their tickets as the full buses went past.

Seems like not much has changed, surely Meath Co Council must now start to consider whether Slane Castle is a suitable venue for such a concert. If there isn't suitable access and the town isn't able to handle the influx of people then they shouldn't be granting licenses for such gigs. Of course Money talks and there is a lot of it involved in such an event.

Here here. If Mountcharles wants his home to be used as a concert venue on an ongoing basis, he, along with the relevant organisations, needs to improve a lot of things.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

pipandtink wrote: »
    Lordgoat - I did'nt say he wasnt entitled to express his opinion so I'm not too sure where your coming from Moderator? :confused:

my comment was cynicism as to the content of his post, in where his judgment may be clouded by loyalty...... ;)

Your comment, like some many of your others in this thread, offer very little of a constructive nature to the overall discussion. you have just admitted that it was just acynical remark. Any more cynical remarks that have no bearing on Slane 2009 will result in a ban.

That includes any on thread reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

eior posts....
    Up from Cork, stayed in Balbriggan... Looked at a map before we set off...Took the R150 via Duleek from Balbriggan... less than half hour to Car Park..... got Taxi €2 from Car Park to Bridge.... Walked in...this must have been 2 o' clock....was there for the whole gig... left just before the fireworks... 3 1/4 hour walk back to Car Park.... and less than half hour drive via the R150 again back to Balbriggan....back for 12...So if the side roads were put in use and take some of the traffic off the N2 and the Motorway I don't think there would be so much of a problem with getting there and back with traffic... Also the way the busses were organised was a disgrace... or should I say not organised... it was unreal... felt sorry for those travelling on them and the distance they had to walk to get to them.... we were going to... so glad we had the car... Also the carry on and attitude of a few louts was uncalled for... but other than that great experiance.... but don't know if I would go again...

This post when added to a couple of others in a similar vein SHOULD be giving the relevant Authorities food for thought.

The over-reliance on the N2 has always been the Achilles heel of Slane in Public Transport terms.

A road which is perfectly viable for private car traffic and the ordinary scheduled public transport services assumes a TOTALLY different persona when forced to accomodate several hundred full size Passenger Vehicles without the necessary adjustments in place.

The entire thing would purr like a Swiss Watch IF the large fleets of Buses were able to turn-about and return to Dublin,Drogheda or wherever without having to come into dangerous conflict with pedestrians.

It also should be borne in kind that the N2 itslef and Slane in particular has an appalling Road Safety record with many fatalaties to amply demonstrate it`s essentially Dangerous nature.

Once again from my perspective as a Busdriver,I still see NO evidence of professional planning from the relevant STATUTORY bodies...ie: Those agencies who DO have the power to draw up bye-laws and/or associated rules to govern events such as Slane.

Slane Castle itself is a unique and very impressive venue,but as ever,the success of it`s use DEPENDS totally on sufficient orginization and committment from those who are paid (Handsomely) to attend to these matters. :rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

The access routes to Slane are the main issue. The Navan side which I used last time I was there for RHCP in 2003 works fairly well as fields either side of the road make for easier bus organisation. The main hassle seems to be the Dublin side where pedestrians have to go through the narrow N2. Short of bridging the river south of the Castle so that buses can park further out the N2, its hard to see how to resolve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Why can't they just create a turnaround section in one of the fields just before the approach to the village on the N2?

It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just concrete over a section of a field that would enable the buses to turn around.
    I wouldn't imagine it would cost that much either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭onlinegamer

OF course there was more than 80,000 punters at this gig

my brother in law wasn't able to buy tickets from Ticketmaster's outlets due to the fact they sold out when they went on sale first, then to learn some more tickets became available online and checked and checked and sold out again.. very strange isn't it How the same gig can sell out 3 time for the same gig...

-->> Anyways ., he went into town on the saturday morning met up with a man through the buyandsell paper selling 5 tickets all were the printed form of tickets., himself and 4 friends happy as pigs in muck and went along to the gig WOW HERES A SUPRISE 3 out the 5 tickets where not scanning at the gate and tought to be fake! the man selling the tickets where originaly bought from ticketmaster online and was obviously given the option to print the tickets off instead of waiting for them to be delivered! When this was an option they were basicly sold several times on the internet / paper and repeatably sold on and on and on and on.. The lads at the gate told them to step aside and wait till a supervisor came along and speak to them, supervisor turns up and says go ahead lads your never going to get back the way you have just came KEEP ON MOVING!!! there is where the loop whole is and where the THOUSANDS of punters got in for free! or for next to nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

you can get about 160,000 into glastonbury, similar sort of location, they dont have this kinda hassle. food/drink/staff/transport aint a problem.

Didnt go, wont ever go to Slane again.

12 hours for a couple of bands. Not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

They didnt discuss it on Joe Duffy today as planned. Jow said at end of show that Arthur Cox solicitors had sent in long letter to them threatening legal action blah blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭squonk

you can get about 160,000 into glastonbury, similar sort of location, they dont have this kinda hassle. food/drink/staff/transport aint a problem.

Didnt go, wont ever go to Slane again.

12 hours for a couple of bands. Not worth it.

Never been to Glastonbury but it looks like the next step up completely! I've always had the impression that it's held in a very large estate int he countryside with lots of flat land and good ponts for access, practicallyt he opposte of Slane. I've always seen it as more like Oxegen actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

They didnt discuss it on Joe Duffy today as planned. Jow said at end of show that Arthur Cox solicitors had sent in long letter to them threatening legal action blah blah blah.

Arf. (and lordgoat, if this is a naughty post, delete with a clear conscience, but i just have to say it) I'd hate to think any of our respected concert promoters was trying to 'pull a boards' on RTE, or that RTE would capitulate to such a thing. Seems this isn't the 12 hour wonder that Justin et al hoped it would be.

The weekend papers will be fun. With mid level concerts not selling like they used to, the need to advertise them has gone up; it's not like any promoter can threaten to withold a portion of their media spend budget like they could back in the day, and hope for favourable reportage, or a lack of critical copy anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

They sent them a letter as a caller had accused MCD of overselling the concert over its 83,000 capacity. They were well within their rights to threaten legal action.

Hopefully people won't be as foolish on boards.ie and continue to stick to actual facts and don't let their imaginations run wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Meath county council can't organise themselves nevermind Slane. Have you seen the state of the roads in meath, lack of paths too is a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Bluetonic wrote: »
    They sent them a letter as a caller had accused MCD of overselling the concert over its 83,000 capacity. They were well within their rights to threaten legal action.

Hopefully people won't be as foolish on boards.ie and continue to stick to actual facts and don't let their imaginations run wild.

bloody idiotic thing for RTE to let stand; I don't doubt for a second that the MCD ticket manifest said that 80,000 tix only were sold. They're not so clueless as to flog as many as they can get away with. The license is granted for an event where a fixed amount of tickets may be sold, and i'd have no doubt that MCD stuck scrupulously to that.

The point which has been made, and which MCD might find hard to refute, however, is that more than 80K were *inside* the venue. If the ticket scanners at the point of entry were switched off for some length of time, then it's hard to know how many bodies went past, non?

Bluetonic wrote: »

Anyone one can threaten legal action for any reason that doesn't make it right or fair.

ronoc wrote: »
    Anyone one can threaten legal action for any reason that doesn't make it right or fair.
    Eh, of course.

In this case a caller stated as fact that MCD oversold the concert without any proof. That makes it right AND fair.

• Advertisement

The point which has been made, and which MCD might find hard to refute, however, is that more than 80K were *inside* the venue. If the ticket scanners at the point of entry were switched off for some length of time, then it's hard to know how many bodies went past, non?
    It's an irrelevant point as it can never be proven how many people were on site, it'll always only be hearsay and as this is such an emotive issue it's better to stick to facts.

I know of a few of people who had tickets but didn't attend or didn't sell their tickets, I'm sure there are others who bought tickets but didn't attend and of course I'm sure there are some people who attended but didn't buy tickets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement