Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muse, 06/11 -- All discussion, no ticket sales

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Fantastic gig. I was at the railing in Block C. Perfect view. The sound cut out on the speakers at the left of the stage during Resistance for a couple of seconds but other than that it was immense. The lightshow was crazy - as usual!

Best gig I have ever been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Oooooh 'Unintended'. Was it the original version or the one from HAARP?

Nothing from 'Showbiz' which kinda sucks.

Eh, bit of a contradiction there. Really disappointed that they played feeling good instead of cave. Setlist would have been amazing if it was my first time seeing them, unfortunately it was my fourth so the only songs I hadn't seen live before were from the new album. Gig was still amazing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭starringme

Although I agree it was an amazing stage set-up and light show (I assume the logistics of setting that up was the reason for no support) and probably the best finale I've ever seen/heard at a concert, I was also annoyed at the apathy of some people in the seating area. I genuinely don't understand why you'd pay 70-odd quid to leave for a piss or get the drinks in every few songs. Myself and my friend had to make our own little mosh pit for the rowdier songs, especially KoC, and we were literally the only people jumping around.

Although it was a great set list and I think 1 song longer than typical, I was hoping that they'd do a couple of extra as there was no support. Considering there was so little crowd interaction though (2 'hello Dublins' was the extent of it I think) there wasn't the filler chat there is at most concerts so it was genuinely the guts of 2 hours of music.

Worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

That was insane! Queued up from around 3.30 onwards and was about 5/6 rows back from the pit barrier just about to the left on Matt's side, and christ the whole show was just mindblowing. The production, the lasers for New Born and Undisclosed Desires, the jams in between some songs (especially Dom and Chris's one :eek:), Matt playing the riff at the end of KoC while strumming over an Irish flag hanging around his neck, playing the intro to PiB lying on his freaking back, Chris standing directly in front of me for the Hysteria intro thinking that man is the coolest guy in the world, everyone going slightly berserk for New Born and Stockholm Syndrome, the trials of suicide pigeon outside in the queue, I could go on for ages.

Even though Marlay Park was 2 songs shorter than last night it still had a better set list imo (Dead Star, Bliss, Space Dementia) while we had a few stinkers last night (Guiding Light didn't do it for me, and Feeling Good should have been dropped 2 years ago), but I definitely think the guys were much more on top of their game in the O2, looked like they were all enjoying it a lot more and not just going through the motions. Thought the crowd in the pit were much better as well.

I'd never go to a festival just to see one band, but if the rumours are true and they're going to headline Oxegen next summer, I just have to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Brilliant gig.

I'll never get seated tickets for a gig in the O2 again though.
    The row me & the mrs were in was unbelievably "sensible"

Before Muse took to the stage, I got tutted at for leaving my seat to get some pints in as some whale of a women had to move her numerous buckets of popcorn and bags of skittles. Sorry my mistake madam, I thought I was at a rock concert, not the fucin cinema:confused:

Moved over to another section that we could see spare seats in and the crowd were on there feet after the people behind us asked us not to stand up!

Lesson learned.

End of rant, absolutely amazing gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Eh, bit of a contradiction there.

Lol yeah I forgot to type 'else' :o

Muse always put on a great show regardless of the songs played, it's just disappointing that it's so 'radio-friendly' for want of a better phrase.

I'd be more than happy to see the likes of 'Supermassive Blackhole' and 'Starlight' dropped for 'Citizen Erased', 'Dead Star' or 'Muscle Museum'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

A-Trak wrote: »
    Brilliant gig.

I'll never get seated tickets for a gig in the O2 again though.
    The row me & the mrs were in was unbelievably "sensible"

Before Muse took to the stage, I got tutted at for leaving my seat to get some pints in as some whale of a women had to move her numerous buckets of popcorn and bags of skittles. Sorry my mistake madam, I thought I was at a rock concert, not the fucin cinema:confused:

Moved over to another section that we could see spare seats in and the crowd were on there feet after the people behind us asked us not to stand up!

Lesson learned.

End of rant, absolutely amazing gig.
    I was seated, but at the end of a row, so getting a beer was handy! Our section sat for the first 3 songs, then we said feck this and stood up. people behing us stood up and didn't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Fantastic gig. Throughly enjoyed it. Would be nice to catch them again before they finish up this tour.

Loved this gig, was much better for me than Marley because I was at the front on the pit :)

16250_199184440209_559705209_4235005_3750360_n.jpg

16250_199184220209_559705209_4234972_4997121_n.jpg

16250_199184415209_559705209_4235001_7638336_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Thought it was only ok for a number of reasons. This was my 4th time seeing them (Dublin Castle, Olympia, The Point) and the show just wasn't as good as these. Sound was scattered at times - especially Matt's guitars (wtf?) and the stage/light show wasn't as good as the old Point gig. I thought the setlist was boring, why do they refuse to play the good old stuff? Is it pandering to the masses who insist they play their radio play tunes or soppy heart-rendering blah? United States of Eurasia, Feeling Good, Unintended and Exogenesis Symphony Part I do not do it for me live and I would have preferred Cave, Uno, Dark Shines, Hyper Music and definitely Space Dementia. Oh well I guess I will have my memories.

On another note, not having a support act is just another way for the promoters to rip us off. Muse and special guests? False advertising more like.

P.S. I am glad everyone else enjoyed it though, the above are only my opinions based on my superior knowledge of everything.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Thought it was only ok for a number of reasons. This was my 4th time seeing them (Dublin Castle, Olympia, The Point) and the show just wasn't as good as these. Sound was scattered at times - especially Matt's guitars (wtf?) and the stage/light show wasn't as good as the old Point gig. I thought the setlist was boring, why do they refuse to play the good old stuff? Is it pandering to the masses who insist they play their radio play tunes or soppy heart-rendering blah? United States of Eurasia, Feeling Good, Unintended and Exogenesis Symphony Part I do not do it for me live and I would have preferred Cave, Uno, Dark Shines, Hyper Music and definitely Space Dementia. Oh well I guess I will have my memories.

On another note, not having a support act is just another way for the promoters to rip us off. Muse and special guests? False advertising more like.

P.S. I am glad everyone else enjoyed it though, the above are only my opinions based on my superior knowledge of everything.;)

I think this would be a good idea if they actually played a longer set, it seemed like they would but nope.. dont understand why they didnt jus get some irish band to do it.

I think the new songs worked well live, except guiding light, i HATE that song. No idea why they dont play hypermusic..

I heard the support act cancelled on them last minute, so I dunno if it's really false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Eh, bit of a contradiction there. Really disappointed that they played feeling good instead of cave. Setlist would have been amazing if it was my first time seeing them, unfortunately it was my fourth so the only songs I hadn't seen live before were from the new album. Gig was still amazing though.

Paul? This sounds way too similar to what a lad text me last night haha.

Yeah, setlist was a load of crap IMO. The exodus of people near us when Guiding Light came on, then the motionless faces for Resistance and many other songs. Oh but when SMBH and Starlight came on, it was mental. And Dom did something that sounded like apologising for having to put up with a song for the 'old-schoolers', which turned out to be Unintended. Aiming for one crowd only now they are. In saying all that, the performance was unreal, have never seen a stage like it, never seen Matt so animated either. I had my fun when went crazy for Interlude, people looking at me as if had 10 heads, and then suddenly turn into the biggest fans when Hysteria hits in.

Also, my first time at the O2...distinctly underwhelmed. I was under the impression entrance 3 was the river side of the venue, not to be. Went around to find it, well, no signs, and was told to go 'down and around' for it, instead of being pointed right in front of me to where it actually was. Waaay too symmetrical, making it difficult to find people, and the price of the pint, haha....it wasn't a joke. Not all its cracked up to be really.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭starringme

I think as long as it's The Resistance tour they have to include at least 4 songs from the album prob inc Guiding Light and Exogenesis, even if ideally there'd be more off OoS and before. And as long as at least half the audience are singing along, as they were last night, Feeling Good's going to be in the setlist.

Also I imagine that, while it would be nice to have got an extra long set in lieu of support, there are factors like how long Matt can physically sing for each night when it's such a packed tour.

As for this:
    the stage/light show wasn't as good as the old Point gig.

I wasn't at the Point gig but if the stage/light show beat the picture immediately above your post I would be in awe, and taking in consideration the Point's crappy acoustics...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Great gig,didnt get down to the o2 until well after 7 and still got pit passes.Seemed to be a very young crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

starringme wrote: »
    I think as long as it's The Resistance tour they have to include at least 4 songs from the album prob inc Guiding Light and Exogenesis, even if ideally there'd be more off OoS. And as long as at least half the audience are singing along, as they were last night, Feeling Good's going to be in the setlist.

Also I imagine that, while it would be nice to have got an extra long set in lieu of support, there are factors like how long Matt can physically sing for each night when it's such a packed tour.

I know I just bashed the setlist, but I didn't mind The Resistance songs in there(obviously going to happen). Delighted with the ones they did play, bar no MK Ultra:mad: Feeling Good got a massive cheer, even off too teeny kids in front of me(bout 14/15). The megaphone comes out, and one of them says 'OMG, he uses a megaphone for this'. Or the other kids bout same age in their neon light clothes only dancing to Starlight...pish posh! I'll never forget Dead Star in Marlay, being able to go mental while those kids 'suffered' to these 'god-awful' tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The new songs weren't a problem for me but then I love the new album. My only problem was Unintended. Play something a bit more livelier please.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I thought it was amazing, They did play really the songs you needed to hear. To the right of the stage was buzzing, Outside the pip. KoC what a finish. Plus the intro was amazing the whole set and the curtains dropping straight into it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzbPfTZSpH0 some lads video. The lads beside im shouting that is f*ucking savage says it all really:D

best gig i've been to

* found this too, Newborn was amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvr28uY42wc

I was at the right hand side aswell and it was great . Loads of energy and jumping around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Quint wrote: »
    Our section sat for the first 3 songs, then we said feck this and stood up. people behing us stood up and didn't mind.

Yeah turned out alright in the end, as you couldn't help get to your feet when they turned it up to 11.

One huge plus to being up high in the seats was the view of the crowd and the stage, it was simply amazing.
    The sight of the pit and crowd, 1000s & 1000s of people jumping and pumpin their hands in the air towards the stage in unison & in time to the music was something amazing to witness.

Pics don't do it justice, but here you go!

Stage
    11633_194475128833_573893833_3925891_6458084_n.jpg

Crowd and stage
    11633_194475163833_573893833_3925895_5498349_n.jpg

Kablammo! - Knights of Cydonia finish
    11633_194475183833_573893833_3925898_5604925_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

NotWorthy-1.jpg?t=1257614727

th_7739_notworthy.gif

Great gig. I have yet to see a live band that can touch Muse in terms of putting on a show.

As for the setlist, sure I would've loved to have heard a couple of oldies or rareities, but I think you'd have been kidding yourself not to expect it to be dominated by The Resistance. Most of it came out really well too I thought; Uprising is a fantastic opener, Resistance and USoE were great. I seem to be in the minority in liking Guiding Light, so I didn't mind seeing that there. The only ones that didn't do it for me were Undisclosed Desires (I just can't warm to it) and Overture.
    Daysha wrote:
    The production, the lasers for New Born and Undisclosed Desires, the jams in between some songs (especially Dom and Chris's one ), Matt playing the riff at the end of KoC while strumming over an Irish flag hanging around his neck, playing the intro to PiB lying on his freaking back, Chris standing directly in front of me for the Hysteria intro thinking that man is the coolest guy in the world, everyone going slightly berserk for New Born and Stockholm Syndrome, the trials of suicide pigeon outside in the queue, I could go on for ages.

LOL, if I hadn't gotten the pit pass it still would've been worth queueing early for this. 'Jump, Jump, Jump' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Annoyed at the lack of a support band but the show itself was pretty sick. Especially the light show, ive been to a lot o gigs and never seen anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Sooner or later Matt is gonna hit his mid-life crisis, then we'll get an EP with lots of plain simple rock songs in the vein of the 'improv' riffs they do in their live shows to keep the older fans sedated.

At least I hope so...

I'm a much bigger fan of the old stuff than I am the new stuff (Citizen Erased... best song EVER) but I thought Exogenesis Pt.1 last night was pretty good. Unnatural Selection as well I can see being on of the first on the setlist from now on, that rocked.

They had two heavy rock albums with eclectic tinges, now they've had two eclectic albums with heavy rock tinges. Guessing from this thread I'm one of the few who likes both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Guessing from this thread I'm one of the few who likes both!

Me too.

Mushy wrote: »
    Paul? This sounds way too similar to what a lad text me last night haha.

Yeah, setlist was a load of crap IMO. The exodus of people near us when Guiding Light came on, then the motionless faces for Resistance and many other songs. Oh but when SMBH and Starlight came on, it was mental. And Dom did something that sounded like apologising for having to put up with a song for the 'old-schoolers', which turned out to be Unintended. Aiming for one crowd only now they are. In saying all that, the performance was unreal, have never seen a stage like it, never seen Matt so animated either. I had my fun when went crazy for Interlude, people looking at me as if had 10 heads, and then suddenly turn into the biggest fans when Hysteria hits in.

Also, my first time at the O2...distinctly underwhelmed. I was under the impression entrance 3 was the river side of the venue, not to be. Went around to find it, well, no signs, and was told to go 'down and around' for it, instead of being pointed right in front of me to where it actually was. Waaay too symmetrical, making it difficult to find people, and the price of the pint, haha....it wasn't a joke. Not all its cracked up to be really.

Brian? :p

As for the setlist, sure I would've loved to have heard a couple of oldies or rareities, but I think you'd have been kidding yourself not to expect it to be dominated by The Resistance.

I don't have problem with having six of the songs from an eighteen song set being from the new album. Its the other twelve songs being more of the same old, same old and the fact that a band with such a great back catalogue think they can get away with charging sixty quid for and hour and a half set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

was at the front of the pit , great show . there was a fairly big mosh pit at the end for koc which was great craic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_Am_The_Walrus

It was my first Muse gig and first time in the O2... Loved it!

The pit during New Born was one of the craziest things I've ever been in! It was awesome!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_Am_The_Walrus

The standing area looked like they were having a lot of fun though.

Yeah we were!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ModFox

Luckily enough Muse was sooo good - I had to endure three girls going "OMFG the lead singer is sooo hot we have to get closer to him" ... then they only knew the words to Supermassive lack Hole or else strangely all got laryngitus :)

However, great gig!

• Advertisement

ModFox wrote: »
    Luckily enough Muse was sooo good - I had to endure three girls going "OMFG the lead singer is sooo hot we have to get closer to him" ... then they only knew the words to Supermassive lack Hole or else strangely all got laryngitus :)

However, great gig!

There were two teenage girls in the pit putting on on mascara and the one with a brush before the gig. I think the new wave of fans can be summed up with a conversation I had with one of my friends at college.

Me: (Mentions I'm going to the gig)
    Her: OMG I love Muse.
    Me: Yeah hoping they'll play more stuff off the old albums this time.
    Her: They have more then one album?
    Me: (facepalm)

Here's a vid I recorded on my friends camera, it captures some of the sheer awesomeness that was new born,

Advertisement