Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why doesn't Coca Cola carry a health warning?

Options
  • 01-06-2009 6:47pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Hadn't drunk any coke for a while and knocked back two 330ML cans while on the computer as I picked up a 6 pack on the cheap.
    Feel absolutely awful, legs and arms twitching, rotten taste in my mouth.

Tried to sleep it off but couldn't fall asleep. Anyway eventually I fall asleep and wake up later covered in sweat and smelling really bad.

The stuff is absolutely evil - I mean 35% of the can is pure sugar, and then there's all the additives in it.

I guess The Coca Cola company has so much marketing clout they can lobby to get their nasty drink seen as safe for consumption.

I'm probably sensitive to the stuff but everyone knows that it'll rot your teeth and give you diabetes.

ps: 4 cans of Coke chilled in the fridge in the Glanmire area if anyone wants em.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Maybe it was all the rum you mixed it with?;)
    jayteecork wrote: »
    I mean 35% of the can is pure sugar, and then there's all the additives in it.
    Actually it is ~10.5-11% sugar. Which is the same or less than most apple juice & orange juice. I have heard "35 spoons of sugar in each can", must be small spoons... So really at 330ml is is about 35grams of sugar.

Skimmed milk actually has more (natural occurring) sugar in it than full sugar lilt. The 4.3% Heineken is 3.1% sugar, many would intake more sugar from beer than soft drinks.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

rubadub wrote: »
    Maybe it was all the rum you mixed it with?;)

Actually it is ~10.5-11% sugar. Which is the same or less than most apple juice & orange juice. I have heard "35 spoons of sugar in each can", must be small spoons... So really at 330ml is is about 35grams of sugar.

Skimmed milk actually has more (natural occurring) sugar in it than full sugar lilt. The 4.3% Heineken is 3.1% sugar, many would intake more sugar from beer than soft drinks.

yeah but there's a huge difference between fructose and refined sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

The Coke might have been out of date or gone off if you felt that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

does it really need a health warning? Are people that thick that they can't tell that coke or fizzy drinks are bad for them? There's too much nannying out there as it is, if you start branding coke with a health warning, how long before chocolate bars, taytos and food in general. Processed foods are bad for you, do they need a health warning?

In all seriousness, was it not drilled into you by parents that fizzy drinks are bad for you, you're not allowed to have them all the time etc... Growing up we were constantly told that coke rots your head. Still didn't stop some of us from drinking it, what good will a health warning do?

Not attacking you jayteecork, I'm just saying health warnings are pointless when they're not read. Any parent should know that fizzy drinks are not just bad for you, but for your kids and should convey this message, but they still go out and buy the bottles of coke or fizzy drink during the weekly shopping.

At the same time, any kid can walk into a shop and buy energy drinks which should (in my opinion) be restricted.

rubadub - morgans and coke, yum.

Advertisement