Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chemistry course=WAY too big...

Options
  • 01-06-2009 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

So I'm trying to decide how much of chemistry I could cut out while still keeping my options open for the exam...

I'm thinking of not doing chromotrography, electrochemistry or the option.

Good or bad idea?
    :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Dunno about chem, but on most courses the option is guaranteed to come up, isn't it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Option is only half a question, so we didn't bother doing it.
    Not doing Q5 in much detail, just enough to be able to answer any short questions.
    Not doing water either.
    Or electrochemistry
    Or Chromatography
    ....that is a lot I'm leaving out now that I think of it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

errlloyd wrote: »
    Dunno about chem, but on most courses the option is guaranteed to come up, isn't it ?

Yeah,but in chemistry you have a choice of questions,so you can avoid it completely if you want :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

what do ye think will come up? equilbrium, water, pH, rates of rxn. which will come up in part b?
    Oh and are most people doin q3? cause im not

I think bleach is going to come up...which is grand!
    I'm also thinking maybe something on reaction mechanisms...?

The course is just so feckin' massive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It's not that big at all, I found it very managable.

aine-maire wrote: »
    I think bleach is going to come up...which is grand!
    I'm also thinking maybe something on reaction mechanisms...?

The course is just so feckin' massive!

It isn't that bad... yeah mechanisms are usually a dead cert.
    Have heard rumblings about Bleach aswell, although Q1 is never too challenging anyway.
    Ethyne is another one which is floating around for Q2.
    As for Q3 I'll have to wait to see what it is before I make any decisions.

Really If you know
    (a) Organic
    (b) Redox / Acids and Bases, with their associated experiments (I was going to say 'dissociated' ....get it?:cool:...)
    (c) pH, Rates, Equlibrium, Thermo

Along with a good understanding of the principles of Chemistry and a reasonable knowledge of the rest of the course, there is plenty to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

i didnt cover pH at all. i left school before the teacher did it. do i need to cover it? or should i just leave it i dont think thyre goin to put a full q on it anyway. i also only looked over water briefly as i think it wont come up

Des23 wrote: »
    (b) Redox / Acids and Bases, with their associated experiments (I was going to say 'dissociated' ....get it?:cool:...)

Good one :pac:
    galway.gaa wrote: »
    i didnt cover pH at all. i left school before the teacher did it. do i need to cover it? or should i just leave it i dont think thyre goin to put a full q on it anyway. i also only looked over water briefly as i think it wont come up

pH probably won't come up as a full question, but it's really not that hard and it's a really short chapter. I'd say just read through it anyway, just know the definition for pH and how to calculate the pH of strong and weak acids/bases.

galway.gaa wrote: »

It probably won't be a full question but where it would be most likely is at the end of a question worth like 12 or 9 marks...

It could be in the multiple choice questions aswell which then obviously wouldnt be a problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement