Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speeding Question?

• 01-06-2009 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

Where does the penalty points end and the court begin? Eg. What is highest speed you can do before the slap on the wrist of the penalty points is not the end of it. Is it a certain speed over the marked speed limit? or A certain speed limit per say. A person told me once that if you are caught doing over 100Mph you automatically lose your licence for a year or else get prison. It seems vague or could you technically do say 150mph and still only get the 2 points and €80 fine.

I had this discussion with a fella and he seemed adament of the 100mph rule! Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Where does the penalty points end and the court begin? Eg. What is highest speed you can do before the slap on the wrist of the penalty points is not the end of it. Is it a certain speed over the marked speed limit? or A certain speed limit per say. A person told me once that if you are caught doing over 100Mph you automatically lose your licence for a year or else get prison. It seems vague or could you technically do say 150mph and still only get the 2 points and €80 fine.

I had this discussion with a fella and he seemed adament of the 100mph rule! Anyone know?

It depends on road type, weather conditions, amount of traffic etc etc etc. But you mate isnt far off 160kmph and you should be looking at dangerous driving. Again this depends on the conditions of the offence

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Simon Jester

The 100MPH rule is a UK law. However, as the poster above states excessive speeding can lead to a dangerous driving charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

160km/h on a clear motorway at night is unlikely to land you in court, obviously not guaranteed not to. At least one other boardsie has been caught in excess of that and got two points.

There is no limit+30(mph) rule like in the UK - its down to the Guard discretion as to whether they do you for dangerous driving or just speeding.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I was stopped for doing 145 in a 60 zone. Got 2 penalty points for it. Couldve been alot worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

antodeco wrote: »
    I was stopped for doing 145 in a 60 zone. Got 2 penalty points for it. Couldve been alot worse!

Should have been:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement