Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pineapple ripeness

Options
  • 01-06-2009 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Does anyone have any advice, please, on how to tell if the kind of pineapple we typically see in Irish shops is ripe?

I've done a bit of research on google but most of the results are American.

It seems that pineapples don't ripen after they've been picked and that some varieties are regarded as ripe when they're green and some when they're yellow/golden. Most sources say they should be eaten on the day they're bought but I can't see how that could make much difference after the time it took them to reach Ireland!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hard to say really, the longer you keep a pineapple the more it will ripen, this can be very quick in some cases.
    I have kept them for a week and they ripen well in that time, the more yellow/gold it is the riper.
    Saying that I have got some that looked a little green but were fantastically sweet and juicy!
    I buy mine from a fruit and veg stall in a market and I think he carries better quality fruit than big supermarkets.
    Best thing is to try and few and see how you go.
    Del Monte is a good brand IME.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

if you can pull out one leaves at the top easily your pineapple is ripe, tip picked up from come dine with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

Thank u for replies.

I would expect any fruit to ripen more over time - but the info I got says that pineapples don't ripen any more, once they're picked. Sounds dodgy to me, so I think I'll just wait and see if it ripens like any other fruit.

Of course how to tell it's ripe is another question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Birdie's tip about the leaves pulling out easily is good - it's the way I tell if it's ripe and it never fails.
    I buy a pineappple every week, and I can tell you that if I leave it lying around more than a few days it definitely will over-ripen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Birdie's tip about the leaves pulling out easily is good - it's the way I tell if it's ripe and it never fails.
    Yes I do that. But last year I got a few where the middles did not pull out. I am wondering if somebody in my house pulled the loose ones out though!

I also go by smell, feel and look. Or just buy them in moore street, usually all on their last legs and ready to eat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes I do that. But last year I got a few where the middles did not pull out. I am wondering if somebody in my house pulled the loose ones out though!

I also go by smell, feel and look. Or just buy them in moore street, usually all on their last legs and ready to eat!

Yeah I heard this too. Not a major purchaser of pineapple, but then I've never managed to pick up an unripe one either!

Advertisement