Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this a good deal for started fly fishing?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

It's an AFTM no 7-8 rod. That is about the strength of a light pike to summer grilse spinning rod.
    Very heavy for trouting, but the rod of choice for casting big fly lures far far away, as in light piking (ideal 8-9). So too heavy for trout, rather light for pike.

Look for a # 5-6 rod for rivers, or maybe a 6-7 rod for lakes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

You're better off staying away from kits. Buy a half decent rod and it will cast better, will last and you'll get more enjoyment from it. Don't skimp on the line either, buy a good branded line. You'll find lots of Cortland lines on Ebay and the older versions are really good value.

PS. I bought a spare spinning rod from the same place and it's not great compared to my good rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

try this site http://www.tacklediscounts.co.uk/c-432-game.aspx and quote the code IFTTA at checkout for a 10% discount rods should be decent as there used by the IFTTA for competitions, also try this site got some great bargins of it recently http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I'd be inclined to suggest going into your local tackle shop, a reasonably local one with a fly fishing knowledge base.
    Get the rod you want, likely paying about 15 extra for it.
    But: before you leave you will also have been informed about the state of fishing in your area, the best flies and when to use them, the tel numbers of local club secretaries, and maybe even an introduction to someone willing to teach you casting and save you a year of hacking around leaving flies tangles in the trees. All that other stuff the local shop provides for free along with the rod has a value.

Then when you take into account the postage on the online shop, and you're ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

I completly agree with coolwings on going to a local tackle shop. Yes, ebay is cheaper but you will just recieve what you order and no advice.
    In my opinion the advice when you are starting out is more valuable than the gear you are buying. Join a club if you can and go to the meetings. The likes of the Dodder anglers couldnt be too far away from you. If you havent cast a fly in a long time, one of the softer actioned rods would be the best. Any tackle shop will know what you are talking about when you ask for a rod with a soft action. The softer action is just that bit more forgiving with the inevitable casting mistakes and easier on your knots and leader when lifting into or playing a fish. They also load with less line in the air. As for lines...someone else mentioned Cortland, they are a lovely line and I use them myself for my river fishing but are pricey in the shops(€50 +). Shakespeare do nice supple lines at at good price. I'd go for a double taper if I was you, the weight forward lines do cast further but can land on the water with a fair bit of commotion with any mistakes you might make when casting. As for reels, a very cheap one will do grand, its very rare that I play a fish off the reel and its just used as somewhere to store the line. Most have a perfectly workable drag anyway, just in case you hook a big one. If you are adament on buying off ebay, There are some great deals on Greys GRX rods and I know of a guy who sells unboxed Shakespeare Worchester lines for £10(PM me and I'll give you his details).Dont forget to ask for some backing(50 yards should do fine). As for leader, a spool of 3lb for the river and 6lb for the lakes should be grand. Flies are a lot more expensive in the shops, if you could get some advice on patterns, this is a very cheap place to buy them http://www.theflyfactory.co.uk/
    Their dries arent great but the lures and wet flies are in my opinion just as good as the ones in the shop.
    Anyway, the very best of luck whatever you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunatley were very sparce in terms of tackle shops over the north side of Dublin. Only one I know of which i've used for years is ABC near smithfield but againa bit of a trek. I have a fly rod, its one of the Lidl ones and even without any experience I can tell its crap. I can use the reel off that I suppose and concentrate on getting a decent rod, around the €50 mark or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

henry's tackle shop in ballybough. ask henry for advice.

this is from his website.

http://www.henrystackleshop.com/index.php?cPath=21_25_181

nice man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

go to the daiwa website and order off them. a little pricey but very good quality rods and reels. you wont go wrong.

Advertisement