Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary level irish

Options
  • 01-06-2009 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

i havnt done any study for irish. its only ordinary irish and im not counting it for points. its very easy like. all i need is a d3 and i got a c1 in the mocks. they were marked easy though. what i want to know is do i need to do any study or will i be safe anough to get a pass?

Comments

How can anyone possibly tell you that? Only you can know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

How can anyone possibly tell you that? Only you can know.
    well like what are other people doin? im sure theres a few people in the same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

I did honours for a year and a half. Dropped down and got an A in the mocks with no work. So I dunno, depends on your ability. the only thing that you 100% need to know are the stories.. cos poems are printed so you just need to know vocab. and paper 1 is pretty decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Study for it. Even if its just Gealt and some vocab or something (which is definitely coming up) because it'd suck to get the points but not get into a University that required Irish because you failed Irish by a bit. You could have forgot a ton of it now if you're like me.

So yeah, just put in a bit of effort.

ya ill do a bit the night before each of the exams. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

just remember paper 2 is only 15% of your total irish mark so dont get too worried about it. the stories are alot of work and for 7.5% i dont know if they should be your priority at this stage.

how many % of the exam do we have before we sit paper1

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

i think the oral was 15% or 20% im not sure. a majority of the marks goes for paper 1 which is nice cause its easy, just learn a good intro and outro to the letter and then do one of the other questions and you are sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

galway.gaa wrote: »
    i havnt done any study for irish. its only ordinary irish and im not counting it for points. its very easy like. all i need is a d3 and i got a c1 in the mocks. they were marked easy though. what i want to know is do i need to do any study or will i be safe anough to get a pass?
    I'm in exactly the same situation (except I got a C3 in the mocks). I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe have a look over the stories the day before paper 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

The look over the night before strategy is my plan too.I cannot stand Irish at all,it really is a complete joke and a waste of time.That being said I don't want to fail it either.It's lucky that Paper 1 is fairly easy,with very little learning needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Were there any predictions for what's gonna come up in Paper 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

I'm sure there's loads of people in the same boat.

I did honours for JC, but dropped down straight away in 5th yr. haven't rly done any study at all. Probs just gona go in and write about Carrbhach MacCaba, or the two young lads drinking, or the woman whose husband is working somewhere else. Yeah, that's about all I can remember.

What % of the exam is 'studyable'. like, poetry, stories, etc. what % does that make up? I'm sure I can bluff the letter and essay and stuff, it's the just the stuff where u have to know something I'll be a bit ****ed for

Percentage wise it's broken down like this:
    Oral Exam - 25%
    Aural - 20%

Paper 1
    Comprehensions - almost 18% in total
    Options A,B,C & D - 20% in total

Paper 2
    Roughly 17% in total

thats awesome. paper 2 17%? what a joke

Beau x1 wrote: »
    thats awesome. paper 2 17%? what a joke

It's sorta good though. Means the marks are easier to get. I'm really hoping I do well in the aural.

Yeah exactly. The aural is so difficult though, tbh.

Yeah, I have issues with spelling in the aural. And I tend to write in English. My solution: put fadas over everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Oral Exam - 25%
    Aural - 20%

Paper 1

Paper 2
    Roughly 17% in total

Options A,B,C & D are the letters and all that? Do you do one or two of those (I know I shud know all this by now, but meh...)

ty

Yep, and you do 2. The litir and the sceal are easiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Oral Exam - 25%
    Aural - 20%

Paper 1

Paper 2
    Roughly 17% in total
    Sweet. I can understand Irish alright, and I can string together a sentence (thanks to having it beaten into me in the Gaeltacht by the butch housewife host :p), but I can't write it to save my life. And as for Comprehensions...I couldn't handle another one on Hector Ó hEochagáin :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Having corrected for years I know it's good that there is so little for paper 2 as it is answered badly in general. Study letter format and scéal for marks and go through questions (translating, not doing) for comprehensions. Other than that, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Yeah exactly. The aural is so difficult though, tbh.
    I think it's absolute piss.:) Although I used to get about 70% on HL ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

the orals worth th\t much??:O oh.. mo.. dia..:eek:
    i blanked in the oral completly and speaking irish is normaly what im best at in irish, i even forgot the word "eitlean" and just said "sea" or "yip" the hole time:L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Aren't people saying that Lig Sin i gCathu is on the cards for this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

Just learn of a quick, general begining and end to a letter and a story and maybe a few key words for one or two stories, you can bluff the listening and poems I think. And if you're oral went ok then you're set.
    I'm in the same boat. Irish is my only pass and I only need a D3. I put Absolutley no effort in the mocks and got 53%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

When is the listening done?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

CyberWaste wrote: »
    When is the listening done?
    After Paper I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mockatron

I sat my Leaving Cert last year and answered both Ordinary Level Irish papers in English. Got a B2 because I wrote a note at the end of my exam saying I got confused. When I viewed my paper in August their was a note back 'Marks have been awarded as it is clear candidate has understood all questions and made an unfortunate mistake'. They gave me the marks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Im not using Irish as a points subject, so my gameplan is to do no study whatsoever and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement