Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant get into my student emails??

• 01-06-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Just trying to get into my student e mails there and the page wont load for me, is anyone else having the same problem?

If not could someone give me a link to the access to student email through the web page please, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

I just cant send them I completely deleted all my mail and made sure to empty the deleted mail folder too and still says I exceed my storage limit when I try to send them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Have you deleted all your "sent" emails also?

If the file size exceeds 10MB it wont send either...I had a 32MB presentation last semester and I couldnt forward it to a lecturer...

If its neither of the above I dont know what else is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Is it true that they are bringing in a system next semester were we are getting 10Gb of e-mail space and 20Gb of storage space. I remember reading a e-mail sent out but mostly just glanced through it.

10Gb would certainly get rid of all our e-mail storage problems and I'm assuimg files we store on computers can be accessed through any computer on campus. That would lessen the need for USB keys somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I you go into the Deleted Items folder and click 'Tools -> Recover Deleted Items' you can see all the mails that you have deleted. Completely delete them by deleting them here as well.

Calender items can take up space as well especially if they have attachments. You should check and delete any that have occurred. Your profile also includes all items stored on your Desktop, My Documents, etc. Copy these to a USB key and delete them. Any programs that you may have installed yourself will count towards the size. Not sure what else it could be. Some of the other lads might be able to shine more light on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

1huge1 wrote: »
    I'm assuimg files we store on computers can be accessed through any computer on campus. That would lessen the need for USB keys somewhat.

If you do get 20GB of storage space it'll be on a SAN (Storage Area Network) of some manner so you'll store your data on that not on any individual computer. The login scripts on that run when you log in to a machine will probably map a drive for you where you should store your stuff.....or else they could do something funky like use Group Policy Objects to remap the My Documents folder to your centralised storage space.
    The Don wrote: »
    I you go into the Deleted Items folder and click 'Tools -> Recover Deleted Items' you can see all the mails that you have deleted. Completely delete them by deleting them here as well.

Calender items can take up space as well especially if they have attachments. You should check and delete any that have occurred. Your profile also includes all items stored on your Desktop, My Documents, etc. Copy these to a USB key and delete them. Any programs that you may have installed yourself will count towards the size. Not sure what else it could be. Some of the other lads might be able to shine more light on this.

Programs won't as they are usually local to the machine that you install them on, however you might have stuff in your user profile like stored program settings etc.

My Documents is also local to the machine or at least it was in the set up when we were in college I don't think it got mapped to your profile. Dump all your deleted items, calendar items that you don't need. Anything on your desktop does count so make sure you've got nothing mad there.

Things are slightly different in college because of the communal usage of the machines and because you have to be able to load your profile on any machine it has to be downloaded over the network every time you log in so it's logical to impose a size limit on it. We have the advantage at work in having our own machines so we can archive mail locally rather than leaving it on a server. As far as I know there are limits on the size of an Exchange mail box so that's also a reason to impose a size limit on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

So your telling me they are going to be able to download up to 30Gb over the network, Suprised they are going to have such a high limit.

Im assuming they will have some special system of logging in aswel as currently it can take up to 5mins just to load the tiny profile size we currently have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Is it true that they are bringing in a system next semester were we are getting 10Gb of e-mail space and 20Gb of storage space. I remember reading a e-mail sent out but mostly just glanced through it.

10Gb would certainly get rid of all our e-mail storage problems and I'm assuimg files we store on computers can be accessed through any computer on campus. That would lessen the need for USB keys somewhat.

Student email will be different next year, but just how different I don't know yet. When this info becomes available publicly, I'll post back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

The new email system is working now, you can send and recieve to that address, and also use the new SkyDrive feature. They just haven't migrated the existing mail systems over to the new yet, so emails from the college will continue to come to the exch server for now. When you log in for the first time you need to do a small bit of setting up, takes just a couple of seconds. Seems the email address will be slightly different also: 0660000@studentmail.ul.ie.

As an aside, I think its a pity we can't get email address with our names rather than student numbers. Trinity is one uni that I know of that do joe.blogs@tcd.ie, which is nice and handy I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

So your telling me they are going to be able to download up to 30Gb over the network, Suprised they are going to have such a high limit.

Im assuming they will have some special system of logging in aswel as currently it can take up to 5mins just to load the tiny profile size we currently have.

No that's not what I'm saying.....the files you store in this central storage area will always reside there they won't get downloaded to whatever machine you log in to. Your profile will always be downloaded because this has all your account preferences but this is distinct from your storage space. With Active Directory the administrators in UL can change settings in your account so that when you log in your storage space is mapped as a network drive or e.g. My Documents is mapped to your storage space.

So nothing gets downloaded to the local machine but you do have the appearance that the mapped network drive is part of the computer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement