Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

i need help with my 450d

• 01-06-2009 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

hey every one just got my first cam the canon 450d with 18-55mm lens kit can any one help me i need to know the best settings for nature and wildlife pixs all tips welcome thanks :D

Comments

Take a look on flickr and you can see (sometimes) the settings which the camera was set for. I think these are lost though if the image is photoshopped.

Look on my flickr here

On the bottom right it says 'Taken with a Canon 500d' and just under that will be 'More Properties'

Click that to see the settings used by the camera. I'm depressed, I spend more time looking at that now then I do looking at the photographs... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

cool thanks will have a look now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

I have a 450d, put most of my shots are taken with a 70-300 tamron lens. The exif file is attached to all my shots. I also like checking the data on shots I like on flickr,

was told to get a sigma 70-300mm are they any good

I've been using the 18:200mm for all of a week now.
    I've had no problems yet but I would put more weight into the opinion of someone with more experience then me.

• Advertisement

have you any pix to see what its like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

You're asking very broad/vague questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Get yourself THIS BOOK. It was recommended to me on this forum last year when I purchased a 450D. I've never looked back.:)

Rb wrote: »
    You're asking very broad/vague questions!
    well i said im new to this just looking for tips and advise on taking macro and wildlife pics can i use the 18-55mm lens for macro :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

You can't use a 18-55mm for true macro photography, you'll have to get either a close-up filter to screw onto the front of your lens (but this degrades image quality), extension tubes between the lens and and camera body (which causes a loss in light reaching the sensor - and cheap tubes will casue you to lose autofocus and aperture control) or buy a dedicated macro lens (expensive).

As for general settings for wildlife, I don't think such a thing exists. It really depends on what you want the photo to look like. Personally I mostly shoot in aperture priority mode as I find it easier to control the final image that way (and often can't be bothered with full manual settings). Remember bigger aperture (lower number) means less depth of field - also as you zoom in with your lens the effect of the lower aperture becomes more pronounced.

When using aperture priority or shutter priority you'll often have to make sure you meter off the object you want exposed properly. To do this (presumably it works on the 450d as it works on a 300d) set the camera to centre-weighted or spot metering, point the AF point at a part of the scene that should be be in the mid-range of the photo, half depress the shutter, re-compose the image and fully press.

I'm no expert though - other people here would know a lot more about these things. Just experiment and see what works for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement