Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Journalism

Options
  • 01-06-2009 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey, I'd like to know the opinions of people who have completed the DIT MA in Journalism recently. How did you find the course overall, have you managed to secure a job in a journalism related area and did you manage to get work experience during the year?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 missdarling

I've applied for this M.A. Had my interview last week and am waiting to hear back. I'd also be interested in hearing other peoples opinions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 funsize86

How did your interview go? I had mine this morning think it went ok but always hard to tell!

funsize86 wrote: »
    How did your interview go? I had mine this morning think it went ok but always hard to tell!

I know! I think mine went fine as well, but they didn't really give much away, so it was very hard to read. I think I did okay, well hopefully anyway :)

I didn't know that the interviews were still going on and was starting to freak out about not hearing anything back yet lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I'm doing the BA. The MA seems to be the BA squidged into a year with a lot of random courses left out, which is probably for the better.
    I've never really heard complaints from any of the MA students I've spoken to.
    Shorthand is a killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

I have my interview tommorrow - any tips? What did they ask? Did you have to be up on current affairs? Where there any off putting questions? Tell me all! :)

I also had an interview for the MA in DCU, went well, I think. Did you apply there as well or just DIT?

• Advertisement

I don't know who does the interviews, but in general the journo lecturers ram this into your head : Journalism isn't about being good at writing, it's about being a hard worker. ... or something to that effect. If you're going in with a background in creative writing etc, you're probably going to have that beaten out of you in the first few months. I reckon they'll be more impressed with examples of when you did the research and made the calls, rather than your amazing novel ideas, if ya get me.

I got offered a place on the DCU Masters, now i am waiting to hear back about the DIT Masters. I'm not sure where i'd like to go but I like the fact you get work experience with DCU....

I got offered a place on the DCU Masters, now i am waiting to hear back about the DIT Masters. I'm not sure where i'd like to go but I like the fact you get work experience with DCU....

Congrats! :)

Does anyone have any idea when we should hear back about the DIT M.A.? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BzzyBee

I did both interviews and got a place on DCU MA , but haven't heard from DIT.

Do any of you know if the course content is the same for both ? I am more drawn to feature writing rather than direct news reporting.

Do you think both courses are very news (politics/economics/crime/etc) oriented ?

Also regarding the placement from DCU...anyone know how long that runs...is it May to September...or ? I am wondering when the course actually finishes.

All answers welcome...its a lotta money to spend !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

I went for the DCU and DIT interviews, heard back from DCU last week with an acceptance and DIT yesterday with an acceptance too. :D

I've choosen to go with DCU ( which is almost 3,000 dearer :eek:) because I think they are more prestigious and also have the placement at the end of the course. Also it seemed like DCU had more of what I was looking for, it had a features writing part and online journalism (which'll prob be a big part of journalism in the future). Anyone around that has done the MA with any tips from either course?

I heard that publications used to only hire from DCU graduates but now are hiring from both, I suppose that tells me the DIT is coming up to par with DCU but I'm still going to stay with the ones who came out on top originally. I'm not 100% but I've pressed the accept button so no turning back!!

• Advertisement

Hey I got DCU and I am going to accept it. I live in Bray and i'll have to move there. anybody got any ideas on accomodation??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BzzyBee

DCU has an accomadation office I think that would give you ideas. Most students live around the area...ie Glasnevin/Drumcondra/Ballymun. A lot of that is shared houses though...depends what you want. Also depends if you want to be right beside the college....if so that is either Collins Ave...or Ballymun ave. None of it is that far from town anyway...a short busride..

Do you know the story on the placement ? How long does it run for ...is it to end September. Im just trying to work out...how long to budget for ?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sarah_d

Hey I got accepted to DIT but waitlisted for DCU. Does anyone know the deadline for acceptances to DCU? Just so I'll have a better idea of when I'll know for definite whether or not I have a place. DCU would be my first choice (if I got it!) so have been holding off on paying the deposit and officially accepting DIT til I know for sure. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MCMT

sarah_d wrote: »
    Hey I got accepted to DIT but waitlisted for DCU. Does anyone know the deadline for acceptances to DCU? Just so I'll have a better idea of when I'll know for definite whether or not I have a place. DCU would be my first choice (if I got it!) so have been holding off on paying the deposit and officially accepting DIT til I know for sure. Thanks!

Hey, I've only applied for DCU. At the moment (and since June 5th) my PAC page has said I'd been put on a waiting list and would be contacted if a place becomes available. There was also a 'Further Information' link, which when clicked led me to an 'Unsuccessful Application' page on the DCU website. So I'm not sure if I'm on waiting list or haven't been accepted. Anyone have a clue about this...?

I'm living in New York at the moment and called DCU about this. The woman told me that no offers had been made yet (this was when my PAC status originally changed on June 5th) and that everybody's account would look like this. Obviously that's not the case since some have you have received offers from DCU (congrats to you all, by the by).

Sarah, are you in the same situation?

I should have applied elsewhere but I was cocky. And then my interview went ****e (jetlag+no sleep+idiocy etc). Any words of wisdom? Hopefully DCU can set me straight on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 durruti

Hey MCMT, it basically means that your interview stage was unsuccessful, I know this from having not turned up at my DCU interview and my PAC application changed in the same way as you described.

However, you're still in with a real chance of getting in with the remainder of the places that the college will have to fill on the course. So, give it a while longer and you may still be accepted.

Best of luck!

durruti wrote: »
    Hey MCMT, it basically means that your interview stage was unsuccessful, I know this from having not turned up at my DCU interview and my PAC application changed in the same way as you described.

However, you're still in with a real chance of getting in with the remainder of the places that the college will have to fill on the course. So, give it a while longer and you may still be accepted.

Best of luck!

Cheers, durruti. This is what I figured. I'm just pretty annoyed that I've had to find this out on an internet forum. DCU gave me totally incorrect information; I've been been under the impression for the past fortnight that no offers had been made to anyone yet. (This has been pretty reflective of my entire correspondance with them since beginning my application - a string of unanswered emails, unreturned calls etc.)

Re places - if I'm on the waiting list, doesn't this mean I'm dependent on people rejecting places before I'll get an offer? Anyone know what the cut off date is for offers to be accepted/rejected?

Thanks again, durruti. I appreciate your taking the time to answer my query.

Hey I got DCU and I am going to accept it. I live in Bray and i'll have to move there. anybody got any ideas on accomodation??

Congrats on your offer. I'm on a waiting list - just wondering if you know how long those given offers have to accept/reject them? I'm trying to get an estimate of how long I'll be waiting before I learn of my fate!

Re accommodation - my advice would be to avoid college accommodation. It is usually shared and overpriced. You would be best finding a place by yourself/with a friend or friends. You'd also be wise getting something in or close to the city centre - DCU is served by numerous bus routes, the majority of them frequent and fast. Good spots on North side would be Phibsboro, Drumcondra, Glasnevin, North Circular Road; if you wanted to stay on the South side, you could go for Ranelagh (direct buses to DCU run through the village) or anywhere close enough to town - Rathmines, Rathgar, South Circular Rd etc. You'd be within walking distance of the college at Bullymun Rd/Collins Ave and it's not that far from town, but they can be pretty dreary areas to live in, not much to do etc. Before I left Dublin a month ago, I was sharing a really nice, well kept, newly renovated two dbl bedroom basement flat on North Circular (near Stoneybatter) for E700pm (350 each pm - all bills included, accept electricity). It was 20min walk from town and easy enough to get to DCU. That gives you an idea of how good the market is for renters right now - so take your time looking around and don't accept anything that's below par (and def don't be afraid to haggle on price - this is v common right now). Hope this helps.

Hey I got DIT and DCU. With DIT I have until 30th June to accept DIT but I have already accepted DCU. For DCU, I had to accept by last Tuesday (16th) So I would say it would take a week for admin to gather up how many DCU places were accepted and then send out notices this week (monday 22nd) for second round offers. I'm only guessing but those are the acceptance dates I was given. Best of luck to all waiting to hear...

Thanks for the advice on accom. I have heard that it is better to live in a house rented off campus (plus also cheaper!) Cheers for the advice!

Thanks for the advice on accom. I have heard that it is better to live in a house rented off campus (plus also cheaper!) Cheers for the advice!

Thanks, that's good to know. Congrats again and good luck finding a place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 clairemg

I got accepted to DCU. Didn't bother turning up for my DIT interview as I had no intention of doing the course. Has anyone received any information on the course/registration yet? It just said on PAC that we'd hear from them mid September?!

DCU is definitely the preferred course over DIT. It's so well known. It says that the course runs from Sept to Sept and the work placement is six/eight weeks I think.

I've applied for campus but it's really expensive particularly considering how cheap rent has got in Dublin lately. I probably will have a look at what else is on offer although I'll be pretty stuck for time as going travelling for the month before we start.

By the sounds of it we're in for a fairly tough year ahead!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 paulmcn888

I got offered both-and have just accepted DIT-know people from last year who did both-and DIT has really improved-and while there is no work experience as part of the course-it is encouraged and they are meant to be extremely flexible about working around it. Harry Browne in particular is meant to be an excellent contact to make!
    Anyone else planning on DIT?

I don't know where all this "DCU is more prestigious" lark came from, but the DIT journo course was the first in the country and has a long long tradition and pedigree to it. As for being preferred, I'd nearly say the opposite is the case.

As someone who chose Business and Management over Commerce in DCU i'm never won over by prestige or image. However, after four years in DIT I think i'v had enough. Also, the admin is appalling in DIT and I think DIT are slow to implement new ideas. How are they still taking Masters applications in paper and sending out offers by post? This is very old fashioned and a slow method. They should use PAC or at least hire competent admin staff.

It's a fair point to recognise that DIT comes from the old Rathmines school of journalism and has a history behind it. Yet, DIT have no scholarships for Master Journalism students which DCU have, ie John Thompson Memorial Scholarship and Veronica Guerin Scholarship. Along with University status and included work experience it's fair to see how people can perceive DCU to be the better course. That said, my dealings with Harry Browne were very professional but he is not representitive of the whole DIT staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Pharm07

hey, I have an interview with DIT for a masters course soon. This is my first interview for a masters and I was wondering......what they hell do I wear!!??? Is it like a job interview....shirt and tie or is it less formal???

Help, I'm clueless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 durruti

Hey, did any of the soon to be graduates of the MA in Journalism secure a job yet? I'm sure yous are still doing your work placement at the moment, but it would nice to know in advance what the chances of getting a job are like at the moment.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 suddey

Hi Does anyone remember having Paul Irvine as a lecturer in Aungier Street?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 afaphoenix

Hey, I'd like to know the opinions of people who have completed the DIT MA in Journalism recently. How did you find the course overall, have you managed to secure a job in a journalism related area and did you manage to get work experience during the year?

Thanks
    I have loved the course, would recommend it I am at present writing for a music maga but I have interview for major broadsheet next week so fingers crossed. Good Luck with your career
    A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 daramcq

Hi,

I've just been offered a place for the MA in International Journalism (DIT). Has anyone got any experience of this course? Is it any good?

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement