Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toy City, is it closed??

Options
  • 01-06-2009 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

The last two times we've gone to Toy City it has been closed. Some of the shelves are empty but there are still toys on some. Are they closed for good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Unfortunately yes they are closed and have been for the past month I'd say if not longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

I think there is one in Letterkenny anyway, if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I wondered if they had gone....so much for their 'we aren't closing just downsizing'.

I heard a rumour that McDonagh Electrical are closing in Collooney and Ballymote.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It really seems like Sligo is haemorraging shops and businesses at an alarming rate.:(

What will be next to close down?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that McDonagh Electrical are closing in Collooney and Ballymote.
    Heard that myself this morning.

He also owns the Sony Centre in Johnsons court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

zorro2566 wrote: »

I'm not surpriced, his staff didn't know anything and even when everybody was going up north they refused to make a deal and just said "well go and get it there then."

The sony center was trying to sell me a display telly for the full price! They didn't want to do any money off. They lost a lot of business with that attitude.

It's a real shame though because they had a reasonable choice in there.

Tahaney's does put some money off when you ask and they got some business out of me because of that. I also think that sligo businesses should realise that people can buy online now and can shop anywhere. We just ordered a laptop and got it online from a dublin shop delivered here for €60 cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It really seems like Sligo is haemorraging shops and businesses at an alarming rate.:(

Its a pity if its true that McDonaghs are closing. They should never have moved out to Collooney - a friend needed a kettle a few weeks ago and whats the point of doing a round trip of 14 miles from Sligo just for something small like a kettle ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

JupiterKid wrote: »

What will be next to close down?

14 units in the retail park....7 now closed! Get an anchor tenant in there now quickly and f**k the chamber of commerce. Otherwise this time next year they will all be gone.

Anchor tenants would not want to go there in a month of Sundays. Its simply a retail location which is not successful. Moving shops from Sligo out to the top of a hill a few miles from Sligo does not help anyone.

• Advertisement

What are anchor tenants?

jimmmy wrote: »
    Anchor tenants would not want to go there in a month of Sundays. Its simply a retail location which is not successful. Moving shops from Sligo out to the top of a hill a few miles from Sligo does not help anyone.

Don't think this shops are running sololy on people from sligo and as we said in a few discussions before; for us from outside of sligo the location is brilliant. Also I think there were far to many furniture shops for the population around here.

And above all you can park there without a problem!!

Its a pity if its true that McDonaghs are closing. They should never have moved out to Collooney - a friend needed a kettle a few weeks ago and whats the point of doing a round trip of 14 miles from Sligo just for something small like a kettle ?

totaly true, only went there for big buys to check prices myself, think they lost a lot of small trade specially with still a shop in sligo and argos, dunnes and tesco's doing stuff like that.

Let's say someone wants to go to Tesco this afternoon or any of the main business's in the centre of town. What's the first thing that they would think about that may put them off? Parking. And where is there lots and lots of parking? Yes, you've got it...The retail park.

In my opinion, the last thing the Sligo Chamber of Commerce want to see is the movement of trade from the centre of town out to the outskirts of the town. That's why Argos never opened there and Tesco's plans for Carraroe went up in smoke. that's why I think you will probably never see an anchor tenant up there. If this were to be the case...and I'd say it will be...every unit up there will probably close in the next 12 to 18 months

Surely you can see this.:confused:

What are anchor tenants?

Main tenants (Dunnes,Tesco,Lidl) usually with the largest unit, who attract regular customers week in,week out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

REPLY TO POST 15

Exactly.

One of the main reasons I shop in Dunnes because you have a better chance of getting a space. (well that and it is Irish!)

Jabby wrote: »
    Let's say someone wants to go to Tesco this afternoon or any of the main business's in the centre of town. What's the first thing that they would think about that may put them off?
    Parking is easier than it used to be....for those who come by car from north or south or east or west of the town centre. Those who come by foot or public transport have little difficulty. What people want is one-stop shopping, so they can also call to the post office / bank / butcher / bookshop / newsagent / dentist / coffeeshop whatever.
    to the outskirts of the town. That's why Argos never opened there
    Argus did open on the outskirts of the town. Judging by the mostly empty car park there too, I wonder do they not regret locating there instead of in the town centre, like they are in Athlone, Castlebar, Enniskillen etc....where people can easily access them / walk to them if need be, and where they are successful as a result. In retail, its about location, location, location !

every unit up there will probably close in the next 12 to 18 months
    English firms come over and locate a few miles from a town centre and fail after a few years ...lets hope they pay good redundancy.

''Parking is easier than it used to be''

Are we both still referring to er...Sligo? If so the above statement is :confused::confused::confused:
    Take the rest of the day off:)

rgds,

Jabby

here you go again jimmy, Argos in enniskillen is not in the town center. The whole retail is out side the town center because their planners understand that the old tows will never be good for lots of traffic and parking. Castlebar has a supermarkets outside of town together with a retail park. Athlone has retail parks outside of town too.

We had this discussion a hunderd times now. Your arguments would be right in a new build town but never in an old town. Thats the reason retail parks are build on the outskirt and not as a conspiracy against the local business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Honestly, the whole retail park argument has been done to death. I'd rather not revisit it again so soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Argus did open on the outskirts of the town. Judging by the mostly empty car park there too, I wonder do they not regret locating there instead of in the town centre, like they are in Athlone, Castlebar, Enniskillen etc....where people can easily access them / walk to them if need be, and where they are successful as a result. In retail, its about location, location, location !

English firms come over and locate a few miles from a town centre and fail after a few years ...lets hope they pay good redundancy.

Where do you suggest that Argos went to then? Ever think that the car park might be empty because its just Argos and Smyths there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

The arguement has been done to death but does anyone really think that having tesco out there would have saved the park. Do you usually buy suite of furniture, new laptop etc or other large purchases when finished your weekly shop?
    Reason its failed is rent was over E250,000 for a unit a year, and thats before you pay anything else like rates, wages energy etc. You need to shift a hell of a lot of product at very high margin to cover that never mind make a profit. Tesco or Dunnes etc would have saved mo one imho.

fmcc wrote: »
    The arguement has been done to death but does anyone really think that having tesco out there would have saved the park. Do you usually buy suite of furniture, new laptop etc or other large purchases when finished your weekly shop?
    Reason its failed is rent was over E250,000 for a unit a year, and thats before you pay anything else like rates, wages energy etc. You need to shift a hell of a lot of product at very high margin to cover that never mind make a profit. Tesco or Dunnes etc would have saved mo one imho.

I think you are absolutly right, and put that together with the low population around here and you know that a high number of furniture shops wont work.

But I think that a Supermarket on the outskirts of town would stop people going to Carrick on Shannon.

The retail park there is buzzing due to good planning and more shops are moving in instead of out like in Sligo. And they didn't put in a lot of furniture shops.

LAst but not least: €250000=€20800.33 per month!!! That is a lot of furniture to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Unfortunately yes they are closed and have been for the past month I'd say if not longer.

Thank you for posting the answer on post #2 :rolleyes::D

Where do you suggest that Argos went to then?

I suggest that they should have opened in the town centre, or on the inner relief road side of the town centre. After all, they are in the town centre in places like Athlone, Castlebar, Enniskillen etc....where people can easily access them / walk to them if need be, and where they are successful as a result. Opening on top of a hill a few miles from the town centre would not have helped them or anyone else either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

I suggest that they should have opened in the town centre, or on the inner relief road side of the town centre. After all, they are in the town centre in places like Athlone, Castlebar, Enniskillen etc....where people can easily access them / walk to them if need be, and where they are successful as a result. Opening on top of a hill a few miles from the town centre would not have helped them or anyone else either.

Ok, so do you know of somewhere in the places that you've mentioned that is big enough for an Argos store? Somewhere that is the size of a retail unit and got ample parking for customers who are buying bulky products like patio sets, weights etc?

They are NOT in the town center in Enniskillen. The whole mall + asda + tesco are not in town. Castlebar has supermarkets on th out skirts with retail units and so has Athlone. don't know when you were there the last time but it must have been a long time ago or your perseption of town center differs from everybody elses.

They are NOT in the town center in Enniskillen.
    `
    Argos is in the town of Enniskillen....it is relatively speaking town centre as to walk from the main street in the town to the Argos there is feasible....I have done it as have many others ...there is only one road you have to cross. Likewise in Athlone and Castlebar the Argos there is town centre / within easy walking distance of the town centre. Hence they are busy there. Location, location, location.

`
    Argos is in the town of Enniskillen....it is relatively speaking town centre as to walk from the main street in the town to the Argos there is feasible....I have done it as have many others ...there is only one road you have to cross. Likewise in Athlone and Castlebar the Argos there is town centre / within easy walking distance of the town centre. Hence they are busy there. Location, location, location.

Then argos in Sligo is in the town center too, 10minute to 15 min walk same distance.

Athlone and castle bar indeed have argos there but the retail park WITH supermarkets are not.

• Advertisement

Then argos in Sligo is in the town center too, 10minute to 15 min walk same distance. .

A four minute walk in Enniskillen is not the same distance as a 15 minute walk in Sligo. Ask any visitor to Sligo who has tried to find Argus there...have they stumbled across it as they were doing their shopping etc lol lol !

Athlone and castle bar indeed have argos there but the retail park WITH supermarkets are not.

Dunno what point you are trying to make there re Argus in Castlebar...it is in the town centre there....hence it is busy. No buts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement