Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone think the leaving is cringeworthy?

Options
  • 01-06-2009 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

i do, esepcailly people who go over the top bout it.

Comments

I don't understand how that would make it cringe-worthy? It's a pretty important exam for some people; they've a right to go over the top about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I know what you mean, and I agree to an extent

Atm, thanks to the media and ****ty teachers, it's all just SO FCUKING INTENSE

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Around this time of year there's nothing to write about so the media goes all OMG LEAVING CERT.

Can't say I'd call it cringe-worthy though. It's very easy to avoid the hype, don't read the paper, watch/listen to the news or come on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I believe that this thread is pretty cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

there is a lot more to life than the leaving cert. Granted - it is a very important exam, but the more stress less success, in my experience anyway.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

It is important but ppl go OTT wen they say that it still haunts them years later! I'll probably forget about the LC after the last exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I know quite a few people freaking out at the moment, like we're talking tears and all. I don't think it's cringeworthy. Sure, they'll probably come out of their last exam thinking [hopefully], pffft that wasn't half as bad as I thought, but for the moment it's a pretty huge deal, and if they're stressed because they want to be in college in September, or just want to do well, I think they're perfectly entitled to freak out and go over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

I know quite a few people freaking out at the moment, like we're talking tears and all. I don't think it's cringeworthy. Sure, they'll probably come out of their last exam thinking [hopefully], pffft that wasn't half as bad as I thought, but for the moment it's a pretty huge deal, and if they're stressed because they want to be in college in September, or just want to do well, I think they're perfectly entitled to freak out and go over the top.

I know what you mean, but I know many people who managed to do very well and secure a place in college, and I don’t think they were suffering from major stress. I think we need some level of stress to function, but when people start to crack, that is when it goes beyond what is reasonably acceptable. I think the media cause a great amount of hype, unnecessarily I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Lads I love this hype. The media try to cash in, all the major stations give you newspapers and radio shows with study help, general information, predictions and even notes. As people feel under pressure to study it makes them less likely to distract their mates. Tbh I wouldn't want this for more than 2-3 weeks, but this working ethos atm is saving me, and its worth it for a few weeks to get a good result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hopeful_girl

its not a big deal at all.
    only for the people trying to get excess of 500+ points.

its so sunny outside xD

• Advertisement

its not a big deal at all.
    only for the people trying to get excess of 500+ points.

I always think it's weird when people think that it's only people looking for really high points that have to work hard. The work involved in getting 580 points for some people could be the exact same as 380 for others. Just because it's less points doesn't mean the people aiming for them don't have to work just as hard to achieve them, or don't have the same right to freak out. What's an achievement to one person, is not necessarily an achievement to another.

but they still are not putting in the enormus ammount of effort those students have been putting in since day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

but they still are not putting in the enormus ammount of effort those students have been putting in since day one.

What a very naive and ignorant thing to say. I have been working my ass off since day one, and I know I will not be a 580+ person. I have been working and doing all my work and am hoping to get 420, I know people that haven't done a tap and have gotten higher. It is the person's ability, each person is capable of different amounts.

Not necessarily. Like I said, an achievement to one person is not nesscessarily the same for another. For example in biology, I want an A1. If I get less than a B, I'd consider it failed. I know technically it wouldn't be, but I'd still consider it so. One of my friends just doesn't get the subject and has put a ridiculous amount of work into it, and she'd be absolutely thrilled with just passing, literally, all she wants/expects is a D, despite spending obscene amounts of time on it.
    I know that I've put an enormous amount of time into HL maths, and if I manage to scrape a C3 in it, it won't even matter to me what I get in the other subjects, I'll be that happy.
    So yeah, people going for huge points obviously put in a lot of work, but that's not to say those aiming for lower points don't necessarily have to work hard for what they want too. It depends on your abilities really. While someone who could achieve 550 easily enough but is aiming for a 400 point course won't have to work to the bone, someone who could achieve 400 is going to have to work a lot harder to get it, if you get me? It's all relative.

i get what your saying.

and u will do very well. u have put in alot of work obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I just can't wait till 4:45 on the 18th, last exam. I'm just gonna let everything I've learned in the past 13 years flow out of my head! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm just gonna let everything I've learned in the past 13 years flow out of my head! :)

That was my plan but here I am two years later doing it again. :P

Advertisement