Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurse Jackie

Options
  • 01-06-2009 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭

nurse-jackie-edie-falco.jpg
    Three-time Emmy Award winner Edie Falco is coming to a New York City hospital for SHOWTIME's new half-hour single camera dark comedy series "Nurse Jackie". The series will star Falco as a strong-willed, iconoclastic New York City nurse juggling the frenzied grind of an urban hospital and an equally challenging personal life.

"Nurse Jackie" is a half-hour dark comedy that is at turns wicked, heartbreaking and funny. Edie Falco stars as the title character Jackie Peyton, a strong-willed and brilliant - but very flawed - emergency room nurse in a complicated New York City hospital. A lapsed Catholic with an occasional weakness for Vicodin and Adderall to get her through the days, Jackie keeps the hospital balanced with her own kind of justice. Every day is a high wire act of juggling patients, doctors, fellow nurses and her own indiscretions. The series also stars Eve Best, Peter Facinelli, Merritt Wever, Haaz Sleiman and Paul Schulze.
    Showtime | TVIV | IMDb

Just watched the 1st episode of this earlier on.. and thought it was very very good. It's far from a hugely impressive pilot but I really think it has promise. The closing moments of the show really hit home with me (
    Jackie being portrayed throughout the episode as obviously being quite a depressed drug-addicted lonely nurse who turns out to have a husband and kids
    ).

And I'm of the firm belief that it Showtime has their hands in something, even at it's worse, it's still better than 85% of the stuff currently airing on prime-time TV.

It's airing on Showtime in the States from June 8th. Gets a recommendation from me anyways

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Peter Facinelli will have me watching :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

JP Liz wrote: »
    Peter Facinelli will have me watching :D
    Doesn't have a lot to do in the pilot.. but he was decent!

[repressed homosexual tendencies]

Plus he's an utter dreamboat + cutie pie + stud muffin + "uber-hawt dog"

[/repressed homosexual tendencies]

No idea what happened there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Never heard of it, but if repressed gay man basquille likes it, then ... er.... umm ....

:Dnurse_jackie_poster.jpg

• Advertisement

Showtime has green-lit a second season of Nurse Jackie.
    Monday's premiere of the Edie Falco medical dramedy nabbed 1 million viewers, the cable network's highest-rated premiere audience ever. In addition, 350,000 people watched the premiere's encore presentation — for a total of 1.35 million same-day viewers.
    Showtime has ordered up 12 new episodes, but has yet to schedule an air date for them.

Renewed Already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I watched the first one yesterday.

Overall uneven, but enough goodness to encourage me to watch more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Ye watched the first episode there and it wasn't too bad. Has potential. Edie Falco is just great though,without her I probably wouldn't come back and watch another episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

got lots of potential, i'll be coming back for much more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Watched the first again yesterday, this time with the missus, and then the second. The second, naturally, isn't as strong as the first, but it's still worth sticking with. The US reviewers had sight of all 12 episodes and gave it an overall thumbs up so that, for now, is good enough for me.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/shows/nursejackie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

watched the first 2 and enjoyed it...couple of little one liners that were funny...i like the peter facinelli "i get nervous with inappropriate sexual touches...its like torrets" :)
    seems like it will be good. and Edie Falco is brilliant...great to see her back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Very good show indeed and Edie Falco really is brillant in it. Happy to hear its gotten renewed already :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Curious - they're ecstatic about viewing figures of 1.35m. Now they don't seem very high relative to US network shows yet these cable shows have just as high as production values. Obviously their revenue is driven from subscriptions but I'm still wondering how they afford it? Or say AMC, which is non-subscription, can afford 'Mad Men' and 'Breaking Bad' with viewing figures far lower than the likes of 'Eastenders' (and not much above 'Countdown').

ixoy wrote: »
    Curious - they're ecstatic about viewing figures of 1.35m. Now they don't seem very high relative to US network shows yet these cable shows have just as high as production values. Obviously their revenue is driven from subscriptions but I'm still wondering how they afford it? Or say AMC, which is non-subscription, can afford 'Mad Men' and 'Breaking Bad' with viewing figures far lower than the likes of 'Eastenders' (and not much above 'Countdown').

Showtime costs around 13 dollars a month which does'nt seem like much but conside that a couple of million people pay it per month and it's a pretty significant number. Throw in ad revenue, DVD sales and you have quite a nice little income.

I remember reading soemwhere that the average Showtime show can make it's budget back through DVD sales adn overseas selling of the show so you can see why they are so excited with the success of Nurse Jackie. 1 million viewers for a relatively small channel is a pretty impressive feat.

FX recently saw a rise of less than 1 percent in viewship and it was a massive success for them. Consider that like Showtime this is a tiny station who can on some nights would have perhaps 50 thousand viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There are no ads on Showtime. It is entirely funded by viewer subscriptions.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    There are no ads on Showtime. It is entirely funded by viewer subscriptions.

I could have sworn that I remember there being ads but then again it has been a few years since I was last watching it in the States.

They do have the usual promos between programmes but there are no commercials.

Watching episode one atm and really enjoying it. Has loads of potential and the cast are all spot on, the scary thing is that Jackie kinda remindss me of my aunt whose a nurse.

The one positive thing about the show and the reviews is that Showtime made the entire series avaialble to reviewers so you know that the show is'nt one of those which starts off great but slowly declines as the season runs on.

Did anyone notice that the first one had all the swearing removed?

Otherwise it is a very good show and I am enjoying it very much.

Peter Facinelli's Coop kisses a dude in the season finale.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

how many episodes are in season one? really enjoying this

how many episodes are in season one? really enjoying this

.. it's a great show alright!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

basquille wrote: »

.. it's a great show alright!
    So there are others still watching it! I'm really enjoying it. They've got a very good mix of characters/actors such as Anna Deavere Smith (head Dr. Akalitus) who has superb physical comedy timing. But for me the stand-out, by a long way, is the brilliant Zoe. I think the show should be renamed Nurse Zoe and just focus on her...

ixoy wrote: »
    But for me the stand-out, by a long way, is the brilliant Zoe. I think the show should be renamed Nurse Zoe and just focus on her...
    I have to agree.. Zoe is great in it. She has the coy comic timing down to a tee.

Much better than the similar (but extremely over-rated) Aubrey Plaza (who's in Apatow's "Funny People" and "Parks And Recreations").

To be fair, the cast are all superb. The only actress I have a problem with is Eve Best (who plays Dr. Elenor) - she really just irks me for some reason.

Anyways, the episode that dealt with
    the assisted suicide of the ex-nurse
    was superb!

Probably the best Showtime series this year... it has surpassed 'United States of Tara' in my eyes anyways.

It is the best show on showtime this year, even better than weeds.

RTE has acquired this show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Yep, this is a brilliant show, alright. Last nights ep was great. Only one more to go. :o

Last night's episode (though I watched it last week) was fantastic alright.

The final episode was great.. and what a superb season!

Superb performances from all involved.. I'm somewhat suprised Edie Falco didn't get a Emmy nod this year. Was it due to the fact a full season hadn't aired before they were announced?
    Dr. Akalitus in the elevator was hilarious..

.. as was Zoey's "I broke him!".

Loved Eddie's interaction with Kevin in the bar.. I reckon it was tougher to Eddie to realise that Kevin was actually a decent guy and loved Jackie a lot. The way Kevin spoke about her, and showed him the ring he had for her. Eddie was definitely going there to see exactly the reasoning behind why Jackie is having an affair with him.. and I think the fact that she had something worthwhile and solid with Kevin was what really tore him up.

• Advertisement

Was it due to the fact a full season hadn't aired before they were announced?
    I think the a season has to have ended airing before an actor or the show can be nominated.

Advertisement