Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthing

Options
  • 01-06-2009 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

If a house is plumbed in plastic piping does the bathroom sink need to be earthed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

do you mean the taps?.is there much copper or copper to sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fluke-it

Yes Taps. No there is no copper to be seen, just plastic piping, I don't think it should need an earth?

that won't need any bonding

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fluke-it

ok, thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭urban cowboy

Correct me if im wronge here, but is the idea of earthing the bath or sink not to provide a path of least resistance for current in case an electrical appliance falls into the water and not have the current run through the the person in the bath or sink:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Correct me if im wronge here, but is the idea of earthing the bath or sink not to provide a path of least resistance for current in case an electrical appliance falls into the water and not have the current run through the the person in the bath or sink:confused:

By earthing the bathroom taps you will be inducing a fault onto them , assuming the sink is not metal . Where is the fault going to come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭urban cowboy

[HTML]
    By earthing the bathroom taps you will be inducing a fault onto them , assuming the sink is not metal . Where is the fault going to come from?
    [/HTML]

surely by earthing the taps does not induce a fault onto them. If a fault was to occure in the electrical system the fault would go to earth via the earth wire. The same as current can travel through water. Im probably been overly cautious by suggesting to earth a bath, but in theory, if an electrical appliance should fall into the bath would the current not be better able to flow to earth. Or have i got this totally confused..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I thought the question was about the sink not the bath. If the bath is plastic standing on a timber floor with no electric shower , by earthing the taps you could induce a fault on the taps if say you had a broken neutral on the ESb side of the installation as all the current in a neutralised installation would be travelling on the bonding conductor via the earth rod to return to the transformer it originated from. However if the bath is a metal bath you must earth it .

[HTML]
    [/HTML]

surely by earthing the taps does not induce a fault onto them. If a fault was to occure in the electrical system the fault would go to earth via the earth wire. The same as current can travel through water. Im probably been overly cautious by suggesting to earth a bath, but in theory, if an electrical appliance should fall into the bath would the current not be better able to flow to earth. Or have i got this totally confused..

the idea is equipotential bonding (not earthing).to bond together exposed or extraneous metal work thereby creating a safe working zone .pipes fed in plastic won't introduce a voltage into the bathroom so aren't bonded.For all plastic systems it's an earth-free zone which is safer again.that was the theory last time i checked but i'm open to correction on the latest regs etc.
    As far as direct contact in a bathroom goes (touching a live wire while touching a tap etc. with the other hand )the earth-free tap will reduce the dangerous fault current while for the bonded/earthed tap you would be depending on an rcd(theres new regs i think to cover this dangerous situation in bathrooms).that's the best of my understanding on this

Advertisement