Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead... 2.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Youd think Valve would have made a contingency plan for this kinda thing by now. It only happens every 6 weeks when they do something zaney. Usually updates to TF2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Damn the gore in this is a beautiful thing to behold. The weapons feel and sound a lot better too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found the voice chat much better and clearer as well.

dont tempt me. im already in trouble as it is, spedning too much money this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Oh yay, 10 minutes after I went to bed. :(

Ah well, tonight it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

the sniper rifle made me feel all warm and gooey.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Had a quick blast this morning in single player.

First impressions are good. There is a good bit more going on graphically. A lot more variety. The weapon models are a lot bigger and closer to your PoV. Was it just me or is there a bit of mouse input lag? (Morning + me probably).

The variety of new weapons is cool, and fresh. Even the variety of effectiveness of different melee. I though the baton was poor compared to the frying pan and guitar.
    Perhaps new weapons is something Valve will continue to add in future updates.
    The Germans get CS weapons (Scout and AWP for example) to compensate for no gore.

It certainly feels looser than the original. I didn't feel so heavily swamped when surrounded by infected and the maps aren't as claustrophobic or oppressive. Granted I only played a day light map and a bit on normal difficulty in single player.

I like the way the sound changes when you use adrenaline. I have to think of uses for the bile bomb too! Might make versus interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

was bugging out all over the shop for me when I was playing it last night, had to just quit because it was too irritating. Was like they'd enabled noclip or something as I was able to just pass through fences and pretty much all the elements in the levels.

Also, the movement of the zombies was really odd, at times it looked like they where just hovering above the ground moving towards me without their legs moving.

Graphically, the game is L4D with some added blood splatter textures for the Zombies.

Also, did anyone notice something odd with the aspect ratio? I was playing it at 16:10 (had it set in the menu) but the weapon in my hand looked like it was being rendered in 4:3 ratio and just being stretched?

I didn't notice any bugs, certainly I had clipping with the environment alright but see my comment above about not feeling held back by the horde. Ran it maxed out at 1680 x 1050 perfectly smoothly with no aspect ratio issues.

Whats your setup? Maybe it's down to graphics drivers or something.

Found a potential fix on the Steam Forums
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002812

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    I didn't notice any bugs, certainly I had clipping with the environment alright but see my comment above about not feeling held back by the horde. Ran it maxed out at 1680 x 1050 perfectly smoothly with no aspect ratio issues.

Whats your setup? Maybe it's down to graphics drivers or something.

Setup should be fine. Have a 4870x2 with the new 9.10 drivers. Running it at 1920x1200 with everything maxed, I noticed some slight lag so I lowered the FSAA down from 8 to 4, also enabling triple buffering for vsync caused the game to become jerky.

Maybe the gun issue I was talking about is due to the fact, that you mentioned, that the gun models are larger and closer. They looked oddly large imo compared to any other FPS I've ever played, like the character was holding the gun right up to their eyeball.

Also found this:
    http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2134/consolitis.jpg

Might just be a matter of changing the field of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

i ran everything on max with no problems, had vsync completely turned off though

didnt experience any of the clipping issues l31m had, and sounds like he's describing the ice skating bug which happened on occassion in CSS, i think just reloading the map should fix that

From reading over in the L4D2 forums, looks like a load of others seem to be having the same clipping issues and stuttering in game (disabling multi core rendering seems to help). A load of people don't like the new close up gun models either, although the reasoning behind having them closer is to accommodate the melee weapons, which would take up all of the screen if they where distanced the same as the weapons in L4D1.

Anyway, I'll let the community rage on and hopefully the bugs will be fixed before release.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=611

so make the melee models smaller duh :p why punish us gunlovers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

This is what i get, even updated my GC. Any ideas?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks like a graphics card shader issue. Maybe try deleting the local game content and reloading?

reinstalling the demo?

ah got ya , doing that now.

I have to agree, the gore is... beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Swear to Christ i blew a zombies balls clean off with a chrom shotgun :eek:......I get giddy thinking about what the chainsaw will be able to do :D

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Frying pan will never get old.

Also, love the sound of the desert eagle, the spas and the auto-sniper rifle.

The machette blows have pretty accurate hit detection. Its ****ing scary when you slice a Z's chest open!

man I am not having any luck today... steam is completely locked up updating, it's been stuck at 24% for over an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Windows 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Meh. Bring on release and versus.
    Also melee weapons seem kinda OP.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    man I am not having any luck today... steam is completely locked up updating, it's been stuck at 24% for over an hour.
    Client update or demo preload?
    Just restart steam if its the client.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Looks like a graphics card shader issue. Maybe try deleting the local game content and reloading?

Cheers that worked.

5uspect wrote: »
    Client update or demo preload?
    Just restart steam if its the client.

Client and OS restart (vista 64), didn't work. Just backed up the steamapps folder then uninstalled and reinstalled from scratch and it worked.

Managed to get a few games in. Melee weapons are definitely fun, if a little overpowered.

I liked the new type of trigger event where you have to get from point A to point B to disable the alarm. I hope every trigger event is like that, stops people from finding places to crouch and hide to fend off the horde, being forced to always move is a good thing.

Still, I couldn't help remember Severance: Blade of Darkness while I was dismembering the Zombies, that game allowed you to dismember enemies but also allowed you to pick up their limbs and use them as melee weapons. It would of been nice if this feature had made an appearance in L4D2 :(

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

L31mr0d wrote: »

I liked the new type of trigger event where you have to get from point A to point B to disable the alarm. I hope every trigger event is like that, stops people from finding places to crouch and hide to fend off the horde, being forced to always move is a good thing.

Pretty sure they are. The whole point was to stop camping. That's why they brought the Spitter in too for that matter.

Advertisement