Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead... 2.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

source engine is already on the PS3, the orange box was ported by EA

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

At what cost though?
    From that experience im sure they have good cause behind not wanting to support the PS3 further.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Wasn't the EA port awful tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

isn't it a dodgy 3rd party port with loads of bugs and frame rate issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Played the demo this morning very briefly. Couldn't get used to the weapon images. Looks like I'm holding everything right next to my ear. Very annoying.

• Advertisement

MEtacritic for Orange Box:

PC: 96/User score 9.5
    Xbox: 96/8.9
    PS3: 89/8.0

There has been some criticism levied against the PS3 version of Orange Box for daunting load times and framerate issues and while they are present, it's easy to forgive these technical issues given the quality of the game itself. If you have a PS3, you can't afford not to own it.

For Playstation gamers who might not have played these game on other platforms, The Orange Box is the best value package available on the PS3. [Feb 2008, p.72]

Despite several technical deficiencies in this port, The Orange Box is still one of the most rewarding gaming experiences of 2007. We do, however, recommend you steer clear of the PS3 version unless you don't own an Xbox 360 or a PC with a moderate graphics card.

Whats clear from the reviews is the support on the PS3 was awful, but it was enough that Valve had otherwise made a fantastic game set. I dont blame Valve for not wanting to visit those pains on the PLaystation community again though. I appreciate the fact that they have standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I think the main reason Valve doesn't bother developing for the PS3 is really because they're too lazy. :pac:

Though I never heard all that much of the PS3 version being all that buggy, well no more so than the 360 version which has the advantage in that Valve said they'll do something about that eventually. Which is never.

Valve can be kind of dickish about these things though. As far as they're concerned it's EA's port, so it's EA's job to update the PS3 version including the class updates. EA says otherwise. Everybody is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Just after playing as SI there.

Not really that impressed to be honest, i thought the jockey is crap. Slow movement basically like a player or smoker. You just jump on there head and drag them away, seems quite weak as well. Will really have to know how good/bad it is in versus.

Spitter

Owns in expert but arnt versus games normal ai difficulty mostly?
    Very slow to get away once you spit so its pretty much spit and die. Didnt do that much damage with it although when the survivors are weak/knocked down you can cream them.

Charger
    The best new SI! You can own the survivors with this. Charge into them all and it does damage to all similar to a tank punch, then it auto smashes someone. Similiar to tank but quite weak health wise.

Ill prob be on later if ppl wanna try them in multiplayer. Its easy to do actually takes 5 mins. Link was posted here.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62842917&postcount=356

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Overheal wrote: »
    MEtacritic for Orange Box:

PC: 96/User score 9.5
    Xbox: 96/8.9
    PS3: 89/8.0

There has been some criticism levied against the PS3 version of Orange Box for daunting load times and framerate issues and while they are present, it's easy to forgive these technical issues given the quality of the game itself. If you have a PS3, you can't afford not to own it.

For Playstation gamers who might not have played these game on other platforms, The Orange Box is the best value package available on the PS3. [Feb 2008, p.72]

Despite several technical deficiencies in this port, The Orange Box is still one of the most rewarding gaming experiences of 2007. We do, however, recommend you steer clear of the PS3 version unless you don't own an Xbox 360 or a PC with a moderate graphics card.

Whats clear from the reviews is the support on the PS3 was awful, but it was enough that Valve had otherwise made a fantastic game set. I dont blame Valve for not wanting to visit those pains on the PLaystation community again though. I appreciate the fact that they have standards.

It's good to see the console world getting shafted by a **** port. PAYBACK!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Downloaded the demo last night. Unfortunately it runs like ****e on my pathetic laptop.

/can't wait to get back home to proper gaming rig

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The speed the jocky moves the player they catch is determined by the speed at which the jockey hits the survivor. If you get up a lot of speed and jump on them you can wizz the survivor out of the safety of the group.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

5uspect wrote: »
    Wasn't the EA port awful tho?

Yes, it was poorly optimized - and also Gabe Newell is an open PS3 hater . . .

I bet he trolls the PSN forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yes, it was poorly optimized - and also Gabe Newell is an open PS3 hater . . .

Hater is a strong statement, as a business person he doesn't think he gets a good return on investment if he dedicates a development team to the console.

See here:
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=173540

He does consider Orange Box on PS3 to be the biggest failure of the company it seems:
    Newell would like to apologise to PS3 owners however, regarding the inferior version of The Orange Box that launched on the system:

“If you look at the customers that I feel we’ve done the worst job at taking care of is the people who bought our product on the PS3 – Orange Box on PS3. Those are the people who I have trouble saying anything to other than ‘Yeah, I’m sorry. You have legitimate beef with us.’”

http://www.pushsquare.com/5525/valve-not-enamoured-with-the-playstation-3-in-any-way-newell-sorry/

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175571

Realistically they just don't have the resources and don't think they'd make the money to make it worthwhile dedicated the resources to the PS3.

I don't see how you can blame them for that. I'm sure they'd love to make a great version for PS3 if they could do it for the right price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

I understand that they have no in-house staff to do their games on the PS3.. But I damn well believe that if they just hired some people, it would be a very profitable venture for them. Obviously gabe does not agree, but I disagree :3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Underwhelmed by the Demo. Mates all think the game looks worse then the original (can't say I really noticed though).
    It's good to see the console world getting shafted by a **** port. PAYBACK!!!

Yeah, there's nothing like everyone being a dick towards everyone else - it's such a rare thing in the gaming world. Let's continue down that joyous road, forever. :rolleyes:

CutzEr wrote: »
    I understand that they have no in-house staff to do their games on the PS3.. But I damn well believe that if they just hired some people, it would be a very profitable venture for them. Obviously gabe does not agree, but I disagree :3
    It doesnt seem like their kinda gig. Hiring on a swath of people i mean. Pulling source vets off other projects to train new people in to reinvent the wheel. etc. When they do hire its a couple people at a time and then of course - its valve. And you thought applications were crazy during a recession, im sure they get that ALL the time.

I get the feeling though that EA port was an emulation and not so much a functional PS3 optimized Source Engine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I hope Valve never, ever, changes.

I <3 Valve

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Looking forward to this coming out, this should destroy any chances I have of getting anything done quite nicely.

I quite like the new game but then again I wasn't totally in love with the first.
    One of my mates totally loves the the first and is a bit meh about the second.

We also differ on our views of TF2. He thinks it's too chaotic I <3 it.
    He loves CS, I hate it. Perhaps there's a similar divide between the posters here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Played the demo for a bit yesterday. First time playing L4D. Gameplay was fun but the graphics were poor, ps2 standard imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Played the demo yesterday evening and I'm really not all that impressed. I loved the first, but got bored with it after about a month, although my 11yo daughter loved it and got my moneys worth of play out of it. I don't see enough new stuff in this to justify the price, this could have been released in stages as updates for the first game which I paid a hefty price for when I pre-ordered. I've decided I'm not buying, Up Yours Valve...../sad

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    but the graphics were poor, ps2 standard imo

How so? Low texture quality? Poor animations? Low poly count?
    I have to say the graphics are pretty good. They're also a significant improvement over the first game in terms of detail you get in the infected without even talking about the gore.

Granted it's no Crysis but Valve keep their requirements to a System friendly low. They're hardly PS2 standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Played the demo for a bit yesterday. First time playing L4D. Gameplay was fun but the graphics were poor, ps2 standard imo

looks pretty good if you put everything to max inc AA and AF and go 1920*1200 - tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

5uspect wrote: »
    Granted it's no Crysis but Valve keep their requirements to a System friendly low. They're hardly PS2 standard.
    I'm very happy with that. If i do buy the game I will be comparing the gameplay and not the shiny shiny! Crysis was bloated and ****e!

Indeed. As a game Crysis is poor.
    You have to give Valve credit for making scalable games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It says a lot about the mentality of some gamers when something that looks 2/3 years old is deemed prehistoric. When I was young, gamers looked for gameplay, not shiny graphics.

Haven't tried the demo yet, I might do, but no more than a number of people here I wasn't exactly an addicted player of the first game. I'm not seeing a whole lot that will make me part cash for the sequel. Bar the promise of a new hat for my TF2 characters of course :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did you put the paged pool memory on High? It makes a massive difference in quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Did you put the paged pool memory on High? It makes a massive difference in quality.

that on 360 version?

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    memory pool and multicore rendering make a world of difference to performance. your same l4d1 settings should work identically here.

Advertisement