Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead... 2.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

It smacks of the xbox needing new content and the pc market getting thrown in at the same time since its probably easy to develop for the two simultaneously.
    Its really L4D 2009. I must say L4D 2008 looked better. Hopefully they'll get rid of the cell shading for L4D 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

New survivors (with new lines thank fook-- how many more times can you listen to "We can take the subway to the hospital; there's a red line station not far from here"..?), new campaigns, new game! I'm buying! Valve have to put cake on the table too you know! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

There had better be pills here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Stev_o wrote: »
    How would you feel if Valve had done this with other products ie sold CSS with maps then realeased CSS 2 with 5 extra maps, what if you had to pay a tenner for each TF2 update.

How much did you pay for HL2 episode 1?

If they had charged around €5 for an update pack I'd probably have paid it.
    Not having all the new weapons isn't going to stop you playing TF2. There's a lot of value in the TF2 updates the likes of EA would have milked heavily.
    But as I've said, they're not a charity and they need to make money.

Valve are pretty good in making their DLC free, even on the xbox. The whole point of L4D2 is that its a new game. Valve know that if they were to charge for this as a mere add on they would be in big trouble community wise considering what they've said in the past.

I'll hold judgement of this until I see more details about how the game really is.
    Valve generally don't disappoint so I'm optimistic.

As I said above it would be great if the new stuff incorporated the current content to keep it alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

5uspect wrote: »
    How much did you pay for HL2 episode 1?

If they had charged around €5 for an update pack I'd probably have paid it.
    Not having all the new weapons isn't going to stop you playing TF2. There's a lot of value in the TF2 updates the likes of EA would have milked heavily.
    But as I've said, they're not a charity and they need to make money.

Valve are pretty good in making their DLC free, even on the xbox. The whole point of L4D2 is that its a new game. Valve know that if they were to charge for this as a mere add on they would be in big trouble community wise considering what they've said in the past.

I'll hold judgement of this until I see more details about how the game really is.
    Valve generally don't disappoint so I'm optimistic.

As I said above it would be great if the new stuff incorporated the current content to keep it alive.

I didn't i bought the Orange Box like any other sane person and got more game for money paid.

If it's a new game its a new entity, mean honestly you think a company as big as Valve would mess up their marketing as to make all these previews seem like a new game when infact it's just a expansion? How many expansions add a variable after the original title?

If it's a new game which nearly 99% people think it is their will be uproar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I've got mixed feelings about this sequel. On the one hand I'm really looking forward to more L4D stuff - missions, maps & melee weapons (especially the chainsaw...groovy!). But I'd kinda grown attached to the original survivors and would have liked to have seen more of their story. Not to mention the fact that the brevity of the original game was supposedly justified with the promise of more levels & stories as dlc.

Stev_o wrote: »
    I didn't i bought the Orange Box like any other sane person and got more game for money paid.

I bought HL2 when it came out, the same for episode 1.
    I didn't wait years since HL2 and Episode 1 for the orange box to come out.
    Do you mean episode 2?

If it's a new game its a new entity, mean honestly you think a company as big as Valve would mess up their marketing as to make all these previews seem like a new game when infact it's just a expansion? How many expansions add a variable after the original title?

If it's a new game which nearly 99% people think it is their will be uproar.

I don't think it's just an expansion. I think its a new game in the L4D series just as episodes 1,2 and Portal are new games in the Half-life series.
    I hope it includes all previous content tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There's a thread on the Steam Fourms, if you dare to venture in, sumarising the known facts so far.

Eg. ~ $60 for the xBox!

Hopefully it'll be a bit cheaper for the PC, first one wasn't even that much on release was it?
    I would never pay a penny over 30. For any game. Much less a patched up release 12 months after the original. It shakes my confidence and consumer confidence: if I slap $60 into this game, are they going to turn around in 2010 and say HEY GUESS WHAT GUYZ L$D3!! No that wasn't a typo. TBH its not worth that kind of money for them to turn around 6 months later @E3 2010 and say Oh hai we're abandoning you unless you pay for our sequel.
    Am I the only one who got sick of L4D after a week? Its always either too hard or too easy depending on the group you are with/difficulty level and its so repetitive. Thank god I only paid £14 for it.
    It was just you.
    Jumpy wrote: »
    There had better be pills here.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Greyjoy wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that the brevity of the original game was supposedly justified with the promise of more levels & stories as dlc.

This. I was under the impression that we had more campaigns on the way, despite it's replayability, there was just not a lot of unique content in the first game. Like mentioned, how many times can you take the subway to the hospital before it begins to grate. Survivor mode was a good addition, but I've been waiting for a new campaign for a while.

What I'd like to see is that if you have l4d already (and most of the bloody materials on your harddrive by the looks of it), it should be priced as if it were an episode or an expansion, and if you don't have it, full price, possibly with the original included.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

the cynacism in here is beyond stupid - thank **** I look at games with a bit of optimism.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    the cynacism in here is beyond stupid - thank **** I look at games with a bit of optimism.
    Thats fair enough, but I always though Valve would be the last developer to start milking their IPs like a cash cow. There's plenty of life left in l4d at the moment, especially if it is maintained like TF2 is. With the extra content that's been added to TF2 since it came out (good and less good), they could have released Team Fortress 4 at this point. But since they're valve, they haven't.

I could imagine they'll release another Orange Box type bundle, The Z box or the Grey box or whatever. You'll get L4D, L4D2, and all the HL2 content (again).

Then you can gift the duplicates to your mates.

Would be nice to get a multiplayer pack: TF2, CSS, L$D, etc.

True. Good idea.

Overheal wrote: »
    ...L$D...

I see what you did there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭omerin

the vid of l4d2 doesn't look great, but its early stages and i will more then likely buy it

More details will continue to emerge.

Found this mp3 interview from some odd website. 45 minutes long. be forewarned. Being interviewed is Chet somethingsomething from Valve regarding L4D1/2, the Swine Flu, Folk Dancing, and Sea Lions...

download mp3 (44.79 MB)

Among other things they do promise ongoing support for the original, to include 4v4 matchmaking (in contrast to the current 8-man lobby system which has a few odds and ends) no word on wether this will include melee weapons, or new campaigns. But community maps will be cross compatible between the two titles as the engine takes care of everything from weather, music, NPC and item placement, etc.

One of the cool things mentioned in the interview was some of the new story aspects. Its hinted that at some point in the campaign, the survivors will come into direct conflict with the military, "humans turning on humans", who will not permit them into their quarantine zone. "You're not actually going to be shooting non-infected humans - we dont want to cross that line here - but the story element will be there". I guess it will be a bit like the church in Death Toll a bit, but cooler. Or like in Half Life, it will be some observable "cutscene" off on the sidelines where this is going on.

Besides that, the survivors will undergo character development depending on what stage of the campaign/overall story you are at, eg. one survivor will become braver, while one will begin showing more compassion to the other survivors - no ihatevans.com here. Dynamic weather will also be a plot point in at least one or two places, where a freak storm can bring your visibility down to near zero.

Im prepared not to over react. We still dont know too many particulars on what kind of support they will continue to show L4D before and after this launch, nor do we know what the Steam price point for the game will be, especially for those who have already purchased L4D. Some people are hoping they will be given some sort of special treatment: either a rebate/discount, or beta access. No doubt they will officiate community campaigns in the same way community maps have been endorsed from time to time in TF2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Seen this ?

Full playthrough of a stage....im not impressed or unimpressed. Its just L4D as normal it would seem with a few new weapons...couldnt make out any new special infected types

The Hazmat Zombies look funny. What are those weird cocoons at 2.36.

It looks very open in the day light with a lot of sides open for attack.

The music is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

L4D2 reminds me of Malibu Stacy with !NEW! hat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Whats with the zombies bursting into flame when they get shot?

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Seen this ?

Full playthrough of a stage....im not impressed or unimpressed. Its just L4D as normal it would seem with a few new weapons...couldnt make out any new special infected types

Im already bored of the Uzi firing sound. And wtf is up with the fiddle music? lol and/or 55ms9.gif
    As for new Specials: you can see a Charger getting the Axe @ 3:15
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Incendiary Ammunition: you will find it like regular ammo drops, but your present clip of ammo becomes incendiary: which as you see, sets Zombies on fire.

The player picks up some incendiary rounds before that.

Edit: Bah too late.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah ok, if that video's meant to sell to me the concept of a full sequel, then thanks but no thanks. As a piece of DLC? Sure, looks great as an add-on for the current game (less than a year old btw), but not as a new game. Hell, it could be a mod for all you know. There's another bunch of videos at gametrailers which show a tank getting caught in pedestrian railings. Ergh.

Hazmat zombies are funny looking though; I hear rumour that there may be some survivor vs. army sections in there, which could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Cant wait to get this now, looks brilliant and I've been dying for some new Left 4 Dead campaigns!

I suppose making this a full sequel was a tad unnecessary but it's Valve so I instantly know I'll be getting my moneys worth as I have with every other game they've released and we still don't know the price tag... which for people who play on 360 is probably a little more important than to PC gamers because buying it through steam is a steal for us.

Thinking about it, 5 campaigns is a lot... my guess is that if it was released as DLC/Expansion we wouldn't have gotten as many campaigns (it's bigger than the original game) and if they did offer up all 5 new campaigns + updates, we'd probably end up paying close to the price of a new game anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

robby^5 wrote: »
    I've been dying for some new Left 4 Dead campaigns!

badum-tishhhh

While I'm excited by the prospect of new L4D content I am a bit miffed by the whole turn Valve have taken this time around. After all that free stuff TF2 has given us in the last year, charging for what is essentially a big expansion of L4D seems a bit strange. Maybe TF2 just isn't making the money they need so they have to change their business practises around...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Maybe they'll price it accordingly as a budget or expansion pack?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe they'll price it accordingly as a budget or expansion pack?
    It's going to be a full-price sequel:

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1138

Shack: What price-point should we expect?

Doug Lombardi: This is a full sequel.

Shack: So full price?

Doug Lombardi: Yeah. At the end of the day, this is going to be a bigger game than Left 4 Dead. It's five campaigns versus four, all five are playable in Versus mode, Survival mode out of the box, the new multiplayer game mode. Plus over 20 new weapons and items. It's a full sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Its basicaly the game they promised us the first time around.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Considering the value for money I've had from the first game, I can't complain about them charging full price for this sequel. I fail to understand how people are so annoyed about it. Yes, the first game was released sort of incomplete, mainly as regards versus mode but as I understand it, versus came late in the development of the game. Better that they released it incomplete than not at all.

This new game seemingly will have a lot of new stuff and be a bigger game overall. Plus it looks as though Valve are thinking about how to make all of the original levels playable in the sequel too.

Advertisement