Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead... 2.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Olterior

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Unrest mod can be up to 8v8.. it's great!

playing it here now - connect 83.170.82.48:26969

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

http://www.totalvideogames.com/Left-4-Dead-2/news/Valve-Trying-To-Work-Out-Cross-Game-Play-Between-L4D1--2-14319.html
    Valve's VP of Marketing, Doug Lombardi has revealed to TVG that the developer is looking at providing cross-game play between the original Left 4 Dead and its incoming sequel.

Such a feature, which would allow players of the original Left 4 Dead to play alongside other users running Left 4 Dead 2, is one of the demands made by the now 37,000 member strong Left 4 Dead 2 boycott group on Steam.

Well that's interesting; boycott or not, it's not often you get different multiplayer games in a series that are compatible with each other. I would like to know how that would work.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Remember back before TF2 landed when people were talking about cross platfrom support
    for xbox and PC gamers.
    Valve said that they had indeed looked at it but would not include it as it would be something they would like to get right.
    It would be nice to see this in L4D2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well that's interesting; boycott or not, it's not often you get different multiplayer games in a series that are compatible with each other. I would like to know how that would work.

Probably something like L4D2 players can choose to play the L4D1 maps and scenarios through L4D2 if they have both, or community maps made now can be accessed through L4D2.

Community wont be "destroyed" as then only people who dont have L4D1 cant be part of the "amazing" L4D1 community but then they wouldnt have been anyway and will have to whine and rage-quit over not being the Tank in their game only.

• Advertisement

I still think there'll be could be a "grey box" or Z box relaese where you get L4D 1 and 2, portal 2 and HL2 episode 3. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not liking the look and feel of this game from what I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I started getting into hammer recently when it was brought out for the L4D engine.
    One thing I have noticed, there are only premade soundscapes for the player to choose from. The only way you can add your own sounds from what I've seen is to replace files in the L4D directory itself, the vpk file does not contain this information.
    Ok, its not as if I am any good at modding or I could be arsed making new campaign or survival sounds, but for people that are good at mapmaking and editing waveforms to suit the surroundings.... its bad.

Also, it seems like the only panic events are at the finale map or the usual "player pushes a button or switch and zombies come".

Other than that, I do like how massive the xyz is in hammer. And displacement seems to be easy enough.

ETA: I suppose what im getting at here is that valve chose not to add sound, dynamic props or custom model's.
    The only thing that can make a map unique is its gameplay (duh) and the static props (the Dam in Dam it)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I started getting into hammer recently when it was brought out for the L4D engine.
    One thing I have noticed, there are only premade soundscapes for the player to choose from. The only way you can add your own sounds from what I've seen is to replace files in the L4D directory itself, the vpk file does not contain this information.
    Ok, its not as if I am any good at modding or I could be arsed making new campaign or survival sounds, but for people that are good at mapmaking and editing waveforms to suit the surroundings.... its bad.

Also, it seems like the only panic events are at the finale map or the usual "player pushes a button or switch and zombies come".

Other than that, I do like how massive the xyz is in hammer. And displacement seems to be easy enough.

ETA: I suppose what im getting at here is that valve chose not to add sound, dynamic props or custom model's.
    The only thing that can make a map unique is its gameplay (duh) and the static props (the Dam in Dam it)
    Pull an oblivion: floor-pressure plates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Overheal wrote: »
    Pull an oblivion: floor-pressure plates

Ha. Im doubting that feature is in hammer. Although I do have something lined up that could work and will be a bit different.

I just added a kitchen sink into "my" house, had it flush with the boxes and hammer crashed....again.
    Giving up for the day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

TBH it makes it seem even more like an expansion back than a new game lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

http://kotaku.com/5319162/left-4-dead-2-has-new-zombies-new-items?skyline=true&s=x
    Another new infected type revealed: the spitter.
    The article is worded badly but it seems the new items; ammo pack and adrenaline, will exist along side the existing med kit and pills and you will have to choose which one to bring with you.

Reading an article on digg:
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/06/before-its-time-valve-explains-left-4-dead-sequel-to-ars.ars

It makes some interesting points that we'll have to wait for final release to know for certain. I don't see any reason not to release some of the L4D2 content for L4D if they just want better story telling :P

Seems like they are still trying to come up with a way to make people okay with this and failing TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

thebman wrote: »
    Reading an article on digg:
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/06/before-its-time-valve-explains-left-4-dead-sequel-to-ars.ars

It makes some interesting points that we'll have to wait for final release to know for certain. I don't see any reason not to release some of the L4D2 content for L4D if they just want better story telling :P

Seems like they are still trying to come up with a way to make people okay with this and failing TBH.

Welcome to last month ;)

Seifer wrote: »
    Welcome to last month ;)

Thanks its way cooler back here and we are having a heat wave.

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Some pics of the new boss zombie - the Spitter - have appeared. Jesus she's gross looking :eek:

http://www.halflife2.net/2009/07/22/the-spitter-is-disturbing/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Ugh !!!

She's nasty.
    Looks like a pregnant Amy winehouse zombie !

looks like yor ma! etc etc. :pac:

Thats some seriously horrific looking zombie. Perhaps a taste of the direction Valve is taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Direction ?
    Elaborate please. The smoker was a nasty feck aswell, as was the witch.
    When it comes to zombie sequels....it will always be +Gore, +Ugly, +Violence, +Stereotypical survivors.

That last one always got me, its always a cop, or a single mother etc.

Wonder will the realease a Beta/Demo ?

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Direction ?
    Elaborate please. The smoker was a nasty feck aswell, as was the witch.
    When it comes to zombie sequels....it will always be +Gore, +Ugly, +Violence, +Stereotypical survivors.

That last one always got me, its always a cop, or a single mother etc.

Yeah but the original boss-zombies still had a sense of humanity about them; the Hunter just looked like a grubby hoodie for instance, The Boomer just a very obese man with skin problems. This ... creature ... looks like something out of "The Thing".
    *shudder*

On the other hand, the new female player character's wearing a Depeche Mode t-shirt. Ok, I'm warming to this game a little :D

^exactly. She looks far more nasty that the original SIs.

EDIT: Thinking about it further the original SIs are the kind of things that physically hit you. They tear and scratch and push. That new thing looks like something that'd drink your blood, infect you, and make you its bitch.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

SeantheMan wrote: »

Yeah they said there will be a demo as with the first game.

They'll need to do that to make sure the game is balanced. Wide spread testing is the only real way to do that I think as you need to find that one crafty *bleep* who is able to find the unbalanced aspect of the character in the game.

*sigh*

Well, it took long enough for them to find their pitchforks; but sure enough, it has started:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/l4d2-racism-accusation-insanity

Wanker newspaper trying to get hits. Typical bull.

I'm sure some of the people working the game have spent some time in New Orleans and as the person said he loves New Orleans.

So you can't make a game where a disaster happened but only if that disaster happened on US soil and there is a newspaper that needs hits on a slow news day lying around.

Say what you will about L4D2 being a sequel or an overpriced add on or what we should have had in the first place but this is triple A bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

So are they zombies or just crackheads? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Looks better and better every week tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Dammit I want to see footage of the chainsaw I want it NAO!

Advertisement