Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzard Observations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

Saw that battered Buzzard back here today, about 3.30pm I think it was . It was been battered even more by two grey crows and they weren't holding back either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 michaelmouse

Live in Maynooth and am not nature boy or birdwatcher material but I was overcome with the recent sightings I have had of what I think are Buzzards. Largest bird of prey I have ever seen. Nearly crashed watching it. Then few days later I seen another one. Since the I spend most of my driving time looking up and out across the fields. I am investing in a camera and will have some photos to post here asap. Strangely addictive. If the lads knew they would take the piss but I am obsessed with spotting them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

They look a lot bigger in the sky than they actually are not much bigger than a hooded crow which are large crows
    You should see size of my Harris hawk in the air compared to a buzzard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

They look a lot bigger in the sky than they actually are not much bigger than a hooded crow which are large crows

Thats very true - not many people realise that they are actually smaller then a Raven. Its the fact that they have very broad wings which makes them look bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Which one looks bigger? I thought they would be of a similar size?

• Advertisement

Hey lads/ladies. Coming home again today and I saw what a massive bird... not in flight but perched on a pylon. Far larger that a raven or hooded crow. Im tempted to say it was an eagle but I wont out of fear at being laughed at by people more in the know on bird habitats. It was truly massive with large head. Im going to kill someone on that N4 soon.... cant stop looking out window. Got a camera so im gonna show you photos asap. Kills me not knowing what these different birds are but just love watching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Bsal

I was passing my usual spot near Dublin airport yesterday afternoon hoping to see the Buzzard pair and my god did I :D . One flew from the ground to a fence post with a rabbit dangling from its talons, my first time actually seeing a Buzzard with prey. It stopped on the post for a minute and then airlifted the rabbit off but it droped it and left it in the field. While 50 metres away another Buzzard was being mobbed by Hooded Crows and Rooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Which one looks bigger? I thought they would be of a similar size?
    Harris hawk male would be not much smaller than a female buzzard
    But my female Harris would be an awful lot bigger than female buzzard
    The buzzards look huge as the way they soar in the sky the have really broad wings giving them excellent soaring abilities but If I showed you the difference in size you'd be quite surprised
    A male Harris hawks feet are same size as a big female buzzards
    Were as female Harris hawks feet are enormous compared to a big female buzzards

Hey lads/ladies. Coming home again today and I saw what a massive bird... not in flight but perched on a pylon. Far larger that a raven or hooded crow. Im tempted to say it was an eagle but I wont out of fear at being laughed at by people more in the know on bird habitats. It was truly massive with large head. Im going to kill someone on that N4 soon.... cant stop looking out window. Got a camera so im gonna show you photos asap. Kills me not knowing what these different birds are but just love watching them.

Any coloration details??

Very dark feahered (brown/black).. as ive said hate trying to explain this.. i will get a pic of him... No tips on wings etc as he was perched... sorry thats all I have..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 westiekildare

Hi all

I live in kildare , just outside kildare town.
    Over the last 2 years I have Seen more and more buzzards. Stunning birds

Yesterday a pair were hovering over a tall tree in my back garden, in the tree were about 20 pigions hiding

Today I heard them Before I Seen them, up High almost in the clouds circuling in the thermals 7 in total

I think these are nesting close to a bog not far from my house in Ellistown.
    Anyone know of there nesting grounds ?
    I captured some photos which ill up load shortly

Thanks
    W

Hi all

Yesterday a pair were hovering over a tall tree in my back garden, in the tree were about 20 pigions hiding

Today I heard them Before I Seen them, up High almost in the clouds circuling in the thermals 7 in total

Thanks
    W

Generally folks don't give the exact location of nests on public forums as it runs the risk of exposing the birds to disturbance and/or illegal persecution. I look forward to seeing your photos:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 westiekildare

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Hi all

Thanks
    W

Generally folks don't give the exact location of nests on public forums as it runs the risk of exposing the birds to disturbance and/or illegal persecution. I look forward to seeing your photos:)

Hi there
    Thanks for that, totally understand and agree

W

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

I spent a lunch hour looking at a pair of Buzzards soaring in Roscommon last week, above a lake, reedbeds, forest and grassland landscape. I'm reasonably confident I heard a third one on the ground while the other two were in the air. Family perhaps ?
    Delighted to see them moving wesht...

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

East Donegal, always a lot around these parts, more pics from today in the "some pictures I took recently" thread.

A8C98FCA1CE74BE2931F4A40C5B64F97-0000359205-0003020209-00500L-533DCEBE499D4E9C8AB185820DA5E732.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭siledee

Having not seen one for months I managed to glimpse two today within about 2 miles.
    Both perched, one in a tree and one on a pole.
    Alot bigger than any crow or rook I've ever seen. In fact it was the size of them that caught my eye.

OH watched one take a pigeon. Viewed from our front garden while I was away. Raging I missed that.
    Nothing left but the feathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

I was in the garden 2 weeks ago and one took a crow out of the sky into the field in front of me, he was attacked by a group of crows and magpies as he tried in vain to carry the crow off, he returned later and I watched threw the telescope as he devoured his prey, very very annoyed the camera wasn't in hand and i was watching the wains at the time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ludeen

Buzzards in the minane area have young at this stage,
    saw one taking a gull out of a flock following a tractor,
    L.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Saw a beautiful buzzard at Pedlars Cross wood in West cork.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

five sightings today along a half mile stretch of the old N2 today, though that was a return journey so two may have been repeat sightings.

is there any rough guideline about counting/reporting sightings of birds made in the same area within a certain time period?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

five sightings today along a half mile stretch of the old N2 today, though that was a return journey so two may have been repeat sightings.

is there any rough guideline about counting/reporting sightings of birds made in the same area within a certain time period?

Unless the birds are tagged, you can only ever count what are seen at any one time in an area. You can't assume they are different birds or use aggregate counts.

Ringing Blue Tits in gardens has shown that there can be 5 times as many in the area than observation usually counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

I've seen three Buzzards circling overhead in Innishannon in Cork. Nice to see their numbers increasing.
    Hopefully Red Kites will start making an appearance some time in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

i regularly see a pair when i cycle Shallon lane in NCD. in fact its a great small road for all types of birds

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is shallon lane the road between st margaret's golf club and the ward roundabout? it was very near there i saw the three yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Used to see buzzards every single day in South Kilkenny/Co Waterford. The N25 all the way to Youghal is a great place to spot them. The Motorway leaving Cork to Dublin is also a good spot and anywhere on the M9.

Seem them far less frequently in Wexford these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

is shallon lane the road between st margaret's golf club and the ward roundabout? it was very near there i saw the three yesterday morning.

yes thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Saw a pair of them last friday drifting around the roundabout at the junction of the Naul rd and the M50. They were scanning the fields behind Ikea (obviously looking to furnish new nest!)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭brianiac

think i photographed some buzzards there today. one had a purple tag which i havent seen before on any- anyone know anything about the tagged birds? think it says '4J'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

brianiac wrote: »
    think i photographed some buzzards there today. one had a purple tag which i havent seen before on any- anyone know anything about the tagged birds? think it says '4J'

Not Buzzards. Better again, Red Kites.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

brianiac wrote: »
    anyone know anything about the tagged birds? think it says '4J'

Email redkites@goldeneagle.ie with regards the tags - let them know the location, date, time, and send the pics too if you can!

Advertisement