Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for group meeting?

Options
  • 01-06-2009 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hiya - I got banned from long term illness for promoting an educational video on Lyme disease. This DVD is to be run by patients themselves who have Lyme disease (and purchased the DVD with presentation rights themselves out of their own pockets), no charge will be made at the event and will be held in easily accessible places such as public libraries.

However, posting this information led to me being banned permanently from any long term illness topics. I was also told not to cross post in subjects such as ME. I myself was diagnosed with ME for 18 months before finding I had Lyme - this was the whole reason for posting in the ME forum.

I do respect moderators decision to ban people BUT I do find it sad that people can no longer be informed about Lyme disease here in Ireland - my group is the only group I am aware of sharing such information (we have no Lyme disease charity in Ireland and we are merely a group of sufferers who have gotten together to spread the word). If I had a warning I may have been able to take down the offending article or at least changed the wording to say Under Our Skin DVD's being aired in Galway in June - click here for more details or something.

Still, I hope people can still learn from the posts I had made to date - assuming they haven't all been deleted :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Tick Talk wrote: »
    Hiya - I got banned from long term illness for promoting an educational video on Lyme disease. This DVD is to be run by patients themselves who have Lyme disease (and purchased the DVD with presentation rights themselves out of their own pockets), no charge will be made at the event and will be held in easily accessible places such as public libraries.

However, posting this information led to me being banned permanently from any long term illness topics. I was also told not to cross post in subjects such as ME. I myself was diagnosed with ME for 18 months before finding I had Lyme - this was the whole reason for posting in the ME forum.

I do respect moderators decision to ban people BUT I do find it sad that people can no longer be informed about Lyme disease here in Ireland - my group is the only group I am aware of sharing such information (we have no Lyme disease charity in Ireland and we are merely a group of sufferers who have gotten together to spread the word). If I had a warning I may have been able to take down the offending article or at least changed the wording to say Under Our Skin DVD's being aired in Galway in June - click here for more details or something.

Still, I hope people can still learn from the posts I had made to date - assuming they haven't all been deleted :)

Ok, first off advertising of ANY kind is prohibited except by express permission of the site administrators.

Secondly, you had already been warned about such activity and had posts deleted.

Thirdly, you've posted the same advertisement across numerous fora, from LTI to airsoft, that is spamming and again, that is looked poorly upon.

On top of all that, Lyme disease isn't a long term illness, per se, so you had no reason to post in LTI to begin with.

If you want to discuss Lyme Disease, do it in ONE thread in the correct forum (Biology and Medicine) and DO NOT advertise your conference there (unless the admins approve it).

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tick Talk

GuanYin wrote: »
    Ok, first off advertising of ANY kind is prohibited except by express permission of the site administrators.

Secondly, you had already been warned about such activity and had posts deleted.

Thirdly, you've posted the same advertisement across numerous fora, from LTI to airsoft, that is spamming and again, that is looked poorly upon.

On top of all that, Lyme disease isn't a long term illness, per se, so you had no reason to post in LTI to begin with.

If you want to discuss Lyme Disease, do it in ONE thread in the correct forum (Biology and Medicine) and DO NOT advertise your conference there (unless the admins approve it).

Sorry, I hadn't realised that any of my posts had been deleted so apologies for that - this is the first time I was told! I hadn't been warned either - I did see a message saying not to cross post in the ME section, but as I say there was a reason for posting in the ME forum as I have ME caused by Lyme.

Also the topics started in airsoft etc. were not started by me, I only recently came onto the scene in the last couple of weeks.

Finally chronic Lyme disease is a VERY long term illness - often takes years to recover and some never do at all. This is why people shall be warned of it so they can treated early.

But I do appreciate what you're saying - the mods have a job to do and I'll carry on spreading the word but just not here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Tick Talk wrote: »
    Sorry, I hadn't realised that any of my posts had been deleted so apologies for that - this is the first time I was told! I hadn't been warned either - I did see a message saying not to cross post in the ME section, but as I say there was a reason for posting in the ME forum as I have ME caused by Lyme.

I was under the impression a mod had spoken to you, if not, apologies.

But I do appreciate what you're saying - the mods have a job to do and I'll carry on spreading the word but just not here!
    You ARE welcome to post here and discuss.

I just think you need to read the forum rules before you post and avoid cross-posting the same advertising.

Looking through your posts it's very difficult to judge if you're a spammer/shill or someone with a unique passion and we err on the side of caution.

Read the rules, read the fora, see how we do things and join in.

GuanYin wrote: »
    I was under the impression a mod had spoken to you, if not, apologies.

You ARE welcome to post here and discuss.

I just think you need to read the forum rules before you post and avoid cross-posting the same advertising.

Looking through your posts it's very difficult to judge if you're a spammer/shill or someone with a unique passion and we err on the side of caution.

Read the rules, read the fora, see how we do things and join in.

No, I never got any warning directly, just the ban minutes after posting. I guess the latter sums me up - someone with a unique passion. I guess being a long term sufferer myself I hate to see other people going through the same thing. That's why we want to educate people. One good thing that's come out of it is that someone after reading our posts did realise they had Lyme and realised the seriousness of it so got treated straight away. Hopefully they will be able to lead a normal life in no time at all - for the rest of us, well you could be talking years til we get back to normality :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tick Talk-

1. If you want to post a notice about a meeting or advertise anything at all- you ask a moderator first.
    2. Lyme Disease is not normally considered to be a chronic condition, and would normally be better discussed in the Sci-Med forum than in Long-term-illness forum.
    3. You posted multiple copies of the same message across multiple threads and multiple fora (Long-term-illness *2, Airsoft, Hunting etc)- just go and look at your posting history- you can see them all there. This is not allowed.
    4. Just because someone else starts a thread- is in no manner a right to copy and paste your posts (or meeting details- or petition (x3)) into that thread too.
    5. I fully appreciate that you are passionate about Lyme disease- and I am in no manner persecuting you because of it.

I have considered the matter and have turned the perm ban from the Long term illness forum into a 2 week ban- which will automatically lapse.

If you want to post details of events, seminars, presentations, facebook groups, petitions or other activities in future- please keep them in the one place (in this instance the Lyme Disease Thread), and please discuss it with a forum moderator to confirm they are satisfied with it, before doing so.

I did not delete your post with the details of the Lyme Disease seminars from the Lyme Disease thread in LTI- it stands.

I fully appreciate your enthusiasm, however, please read the forum charters, site posting guidelines and if still in doubt- ask a moderator or an admin, before cross posting across multiple threads and fora, in future.

Kind regards,

SMcCarrick

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    Tick Talk-

1. If you want to post a notice about a meeting or advertise anything at all- you ask a moderator first.
    2. Lyme Disease is not normally considered to be a chronic condition, and would normally be better discussed in the Sci-Med forum than in Long-term-illness forum.
    3. You posted multiple copies of the same message across multiple threads and multiple fora (Long-term-illness *2, Airsoft, Hunting etc)- just go and look at your posting history- you can see them all there. This is not allowed.
    4. Just because someone else starts a thread- is in no manner a right to copy and paste your posts (or meeting details- or petition (x3)) into that thread too.
    5. I fully appreciate that you are passionate about Lyme disease- and I am in no manner persecuting you because of it.

I have considered the matter and have turned the perm ban from the Long term illness forum into a 2 week ban- which will automatically lapse.

If you want to post details of events, seminars, presentations, facebook groups, petitions or other activities in future- please keep them in the one place (in this instance the Lyme Disease Thread), and please discuss it with a forum moderator to confirm they are satisfied with it, before doing so.

I did not delete your post with the details of the Lyme Disease seminars from the Lyme Disease thread in LTI- it stands.

I fully appreciate your enthusiasm, however, please read the forum charters, site posting guidelines and if still in doubt- ask a moderator or an admin, before cross posting across multiple threads and fora, in future.

Kind regards,

SMcCarrick

Thanks very much - I've learnt my lesson now! I will keep the postings in one section from now on and will ask permission before posting meetings.

All the best Tick Talk Ireland

Advertisement