Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adiós to Zara as fashion giant pull out

Options
  • 01-06-2009 11:53pm

From galwaynews.ie
    ZARA, one of the biggest fashion retailers in the world, have abandoned plans to open a new store in place of Taaffes on William Street – blaming the decision on a three year planning delay and the economic downturn.
    The Spanish retail giant is understood to have broken the news last week to well-known city developer and businessman Gerry Barrett – who had been battling to bring the store to Galway for several years.
    The decision came as city planning officials granted permission for the redevelopment of the derelict shop unit at 47 William Street – the fourth planning application submitted
    in three years.
    “Unfortunately, and due to a combination of both the lengthy planning delays that have ensued as well as the current economic climate, Edward Holdings received a communication from Spanish
    retailer Zara early last week that the terms previously agreed with it are no longer applicable and that it will not at this point be taking up a tenancy in the former Taaffes.
    “While this is disappointing, we are confident that this space will still attract a significant international tenant, as it remains the last undeveloped shop unit in the city centre.
    I think it is a bit rich to blame planning delays - if they thought it would be profitable enough I am sure they would have continued.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Read this a few days ago. Gutted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Does Galway need another international chain store? It would be nice to see something unique to the city going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

From galwaynews.ie

I think it is a bit rich to blame planning delays - if they thought it would be profitable enough I am sure they would have continued.

jeez....you cant help yourself can you!? at least it puts paid to your other wild conspiracy theory!

jeez....you cant help yourself can you!? at least it puts paid to your other wild conspiracy theory!
    On the contrary, I'd call it karma. A good healthy dose of it.

• Advertisement

galwaybabe wrote: »
    On the contrary, I'd call it karma. A good healthy dose of it.

ok....karma....go on, tell us why you think it was deserved? shops been an eyesore for 10 years and longer, do you not think it's time something was done?

....you're starting to remind me of rush limbaugh, looking for people to fail!

ok....karma....go on, tell us why you think it was deserved? shops been an eyesore for 10 years and longer, do you not think it's time something was done?

....you're starting to remind me of rush limbaugh, looking for people to fail!

Look, you've made it quite clear you love and adore Mr Barrett and his business methods. Nothing will convince you otherwise so why we just agree to disagree here

true i've laid my cards on the table, you haven't! i'm trying to understand what your issue is? but if you prefer it to be in the ether so be it...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

End of discussions about the Barretts, further posts will be deleted etc.

Feel free to discuss what to do with the shop etc, just not the family nor the way Barrett do business, which has been pretty successful.
    See charter bullet 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Look, you've made it quite clear you love and adore Mr Barrett and his business methods. Nothing will convince you otherwise so why we just agree to disagree here

What are you talking about? Have you anything definitive to say or do you just like throwing about spurious allegations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Does Galway need another international chain store? It would be nice to see something unique to the city going in there.

Like what? Not another touristy aran jumper shop there are plenty of those around. I would love Zara to come, I'm kinda skint and cannot afford to buy in those small independant boutiques!(Uniform/Twice as Nice/Pagan/Identity/etc) so i would have been outside Zara welcoming it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Anytime I've been in Zara I couldn't find anything to fit me, either because a) I'm not 6'7" or b) I don't have a 28" waist. When they start making clothes that fit normal people I'll worry about them opening a shop in galway. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Zzippy wrote: »
    Anytime I've been in Zara I couldn't find anything to fit me, either because a) I'm not 6'7" or b) I don't have a 28" waist. When they start making clothes that fit normal people I'll worry about them opening a shop in galway. :rolleyes:

Ya, but you're a guy.....you really wouldn't understand what Zara means to us wimmins:pac:

Sort of glad in a way, would be nice to have had it but if it was in Galway we'd all be wearing the same thing.

I wonder what will go in there now???

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

“Unfortunately, and due to a combination of both the lengthy planning delays that have ensued as well as the current economic climate, Edward Holdings received a communication from Spanish retailer Zara early last week that the terms previously agreed with it are no longer applicable and that it will not at this point be taking up a tenancy in the former Taaffes.

Wise up folks: Zara had a deal, or an option for deal, the market has changed, they don't want to pay according to the terms previously discussed, so they've pulled out "at this point".

This is just the landlord using the media as free advertising to see if anyone else out there is interested in paying the amount of rent he wants, or at least more than Zara were willing to pay.

Pretty standard business practise. I don't think we can conclude anything about whether Zara will come or not from the press release!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

JustMary got in ahead of me, but this is just part of negotiations. Rents are down everywhere. We're entering the final stages of the courtship! I suspect they'll come in but for less money.

I agree with the last two posters that this is probably down to bargaining over the rent / looking for other potential tenants.

Now that planning is resolved how long would it take to rebuild the site if a new tenant was signed up? Are they knocking and rebuilding or refurbishing?

I agree with the last two posters that this is probably down to bargaining over the rent / looking for other potential tenants.

Now that planning is resolved how long would it take to rebuild the site if a new tenant was signed up? Are they knocking and rebuilding or refurbishing?

if you read the article in the tribune, this isnt final yet. it can still be appealed to an bord planala....maybe it's something another poster can do...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fatleomessi

**GOSSIP**..word is that planning for any commercial development there would need access from adjacent gangways which aren't 'available' to the developer due to an age old galway feud...

**GOSSIP**..word is that planning for any commercial development there would need access from adjacent gangways which aren't 'available' to the developer due to an age old galway feud...

what's a gangway in this context?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Yes yes Zara would have been class but maybe now H&M might come!!!! :D

*Fingers Crossed.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement