Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WTF is up Invaders Must Die (whole album)

• 02-06-2009 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

I just listened to Prodigy's new album. WTF has happened to them!? Its total cr@p compared to Fat of the land. Only song thats on the border of acceptable is Omen, rest is total shyte. What a shame, what a bloody shame!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It happens to all musical acts.

They get old, they burn out.

Some know when to call it a day. Unfortunately, some don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

At least its not as bad as the diabolical album before it. Prodigy havnt been no where near as good on record since FOTL as you said. Live their still good enough, but many better live acts now. They seem to be trying to be as fast and bassy as they can now, and not making original beats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It sounds like bad Pendulum/Black Sun Empire basically.

Funnily enough I was listening to "We Control" by Hyper and thought "some of these songs sound like The Prodigy" and then it turns out Leeroy is in Hyper.#

Go figure.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Weird, I liked it. Well, I liked it more then the last one.
    I thought it was more of a return to their Jilted Generation roots (several songs sound like they have samples of J.G. in them in fact).

Horses for courses I guess but I was glad to hear them go this direction rather then more "I've taken too much smack" angry-sh*te they've been putting out recently.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

CyberWaste wrote: »
    At least its not as bad as the diabolical album before it

its far, far worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Tbh, there were 2 songs in specific that just made me think "WTF is this sh!t" which were Warrior Dreams and Stand Up. Stand Up is especially ridiculous.

Its a real shame they've turned out this way cuz their first albums were just brilliant. Breathe, Firestarter, Their Law, Smack my bitch up and Voodoo People (pendulum remix) were the best songs ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i actually don't think 'always outnumbered....' was too bad an album. Like it had it's charm.

But this new stuff.....jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I liked 2 or 3 songs. Pirahana is a savage tune imo

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I thought Stand Up was one of the best tunes on the album.... shows what I know :p

DeV.

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Warrior Dreams

Warrior's Dance?

It is absolute crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

I was obsessed with the Prodigy Since I was 6,I saw the everybody in the place video and was hooked,thought how fun and amazing is this band,4 mad blokes who made really happy uplifting energetic tunes,dancing around like lunatics,simple but some mad craic,then came Jilted Generation,more gritty and dark but still maintaining the rave hardcore element,and then came FOTL and thats when they became a complete pile of w*nk..............................................................the latest two albums they released are laughable,not forgetting babys got a temper(what the f*ck was that?),they went from being really colourful simple upbeat ravers who made hardcore rave and have transformed into really dark goth like punks who make electronic rock music,Liam Howlett is also apparently ashamed of hi early 90's rave origins,so f*ck them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 K_TRICKS

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    I was obsessed with the Prodigy Since I was 6,I saw the everybody in the place video and was hooked,thought how fun and amazing is this band,4 mad blokes who made really happy uplifting energetic tunes,dancing around like lunatics,simple but some mad craic,then came Jilted Generation,more gritty and dark but still maintaining the rave hardcore element,and then came FOTL and thats when they became a complete pile of w*nk..............................................................the latest two albums they released are laughable,not forgetting babys got a temper(what the f*ck was that?),they went from being really colourful simple upbeat ravers who made hardcore rave and have transformed into really dark goth like punks who make electronic rock music,Liam Howlett is also apparently ashamed of hi early 90's rave origins,so f*ck them

one of them sang in a punk band for a while, can't remember the name of the band tho.....
    they shouldn't be ashamed of their raver past

K_TRICKS..... 2 hours of funked up minimal tehno
    www.playfmdublin.com @midnight every tuesday night

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mango1888

i have to say i'm well more into the old raver stuff

charly and your love stuff.

that girls track was alright ....its just not prodigy.

new album = ****

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

Great tunes last week K_TRICKS. Will be online again tonight, school night or no!

domcq wrote: »
    Great tunes last week K_TRICKS. Will be online again tonight, school night or no!

nice one,
    yea gonna be on at 12am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

K_TRICKS wrote: »
    nice one,
    yea gonna be on at 12am

Dude put your ad in your signature rather than appending it to every post. Otherwise you're prob gonna get banned.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I was in a relatives car a few weeks ago and he had some cd on - I didn't comment on the fact I thought it was sh*te but eventually asked what it was as I heard a few old samples thrown in so was curious who it was... sure enough it was Invaders Must Die.

Defo not my cup of tea, I'll leave the Prodigy back in the past with the many great memories of the first two albums.

Sean_K wrote: »
    Dude put your ad in your signature rather than appending it to every post. Otherwise you're prob gonna get banned.

fair play for that mate...
    too late tho, i got a slight wrap on the knuckles for it yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

Leprekaun wrote: »
    I just listened to Prodigy's new album. WTF has happened to them!? Its total cr@p compared to Fat of the land. Only song thats on the border of acceptable is Omen, rest is total shyte. What a shame, what a bloody shame!

Deffo lost the edge which happens when you're famous and living out of 5 star hotels and the like. I was disappointed that its still got a lot of that cheap electro-punk feel to it. Experience is one of my top albums and a reason I got into dance, but what can you do, its not like people go to a Stones concert to hear their new tracks either.

Deffo lost the edge which happens when you're famous and living out of 5 star hotels and the like.

It can happen, but on the other hand it's not always the case - while the earlier stuff may be stronger, the likes of Underworld or Orbital didn't resort to churning out utter crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

its way to ravey, its nothing compared to fat of the land. theve put more dance into it aand now its really gay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Deffo lost the edge which happens when you're famous and living out of 5 star hotels and the like. I was disappointed that its still got a lot of that cheap electro-punk feel to it. Experience is one of my top albums and a reason I got into dance, but what can you do, its not like people go to a Stones concert to hear their new tracks either.
    that’s very true and many older artists albums who were very famous back in the day are total rubbish now. like David bowie and the stones etc. but with EDM people don’t want to hear classics they want fresh new music and styles everytime, with maybe one or two oldies thrown in to remember their roots, the crowd demand it. Anyone playing only oldschool won’t be booked or get recognition simple.

The prodigy basically sampled every oldschool song they liked after spending a few days on youtube for their new album. They should be pushing the genre forward not looking to the past and that’s really a sign of a washed up act especially in dance circles. I haven’t listened to it. only the few on mtv and I wouldn’t even download for free CRAP

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

I'll have to disagree. Fat of the Land was arguably their best album but Invaders Must Die is a completely different type of album. It's in line with old school Prodigy. They aimed to get back to the "Experience" days and landed pretty much in between it and "Music for the Jilted Generation". Its not their best album ever but is still a solid album. Warriors Dance, Thunder and Omen are all great tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

They going down this electro oldskool remix road,which is the current fad for the lemmings at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Sean_K wrote: »
    It happens to all musical acts.

They get old, they burn out.

Some know when to call it a day. Unfortunately, some don't.

+1

most artists get to an age where other parts of their life take over, family being 1 example, having enough money or indulging in drugs being others.

having enough money is less incentive to innovate or learn new things, same with anything..

people forget that alot of the prodigy work in the past was sample based.
    usually the best music is built on good elements of a song you heard, or in a mix tape.

Liam would sample elements that he liked and build a new track..it worked well, but he definitely abandoned this style of production, probably because he just hadn't the time anymore, or maybe hadn't the desire.

IMHO Firestarter is what really propelled them to the mainstream.

The drums were by Paul Kodish who now works with pendulum, the BOOM sample was from Jungle Warfare 1 sample cd, processed in ReCycle!
    Guitar work by Jim Davies part of pitchshifter, who also appeared live and on other tracks like Breathe.

there were obvious other elements, like the sample of close to the edit.
    keith "flint" put the final touches which made it a no.1 hit.

Prodigy had alot of help from Neil McLellan in the early days on engineering/production.

i think its fair to say that prodigy as music was always a little over-rated but fans would believe otherwise.

The music was good, but there were alot of people in the background helping make them what they are today...or were in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Martyr wrote: »
    The music was good, but there were alot of people in the background helping make them what they are today...or were in the past.

My favourite prodigy album, hands down, is experience - an album which is 99% done on a single (contemporarily very limited) sampling workstation keyboard - the Roland W-30. It was effectively Liam Howlett tinkering away in his bedroom.

My favourite prodigy album, hands down, is experience - an album which is 99% done on a single (contemporarily very limited) sampling workstation keyboard - the Roland W-30. It was effectively Liam Howlett tinkering away in his bedroom.

+1 mine too.

Liam would probably agree with that privately, even if more preferred FOTL or Jilted Generation.

just to add, heard the latest U2 album, Line on the Horizen.

You can hear Brian Eno in this for sure..I know again that U2 fans would rather believe the music is all down to the band themselves, but ..Brian Eno has played a big part in the success of U2 musically.

The same can be said for many bands, including Prodigy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Invaders Must Die is a great listen. Surprised to see so many that aren't into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I'll have to disagree. Fat of the Land was arguably their best album but Invaders Must Die is a completely different type of album. It's in line with old school Prodigy. They aimed to get back to the "Experience" days and landed pretty much in between it and "Music for the Jilted Generation". Its not their best album ever but is still a solid album. Warriors Dance, Thunder and Omen are all great tunes.

I totally agree with this. I'm debating whether to see them at the Marquee but I probably won't in the end, I've seen them live during all their album releases (apart from outgunned) and they have all been great shows but this new album will bring with it a new generation of lil Prodigy fans and the thoughts of mixing with them just turns me off :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MoonCommando

Its been steadily downhill for them since reaching a premature pinnacle in MFTJG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

I don't get how people dislike Always Outnumbered... in my opinion easily one of the best Prodigy albums, simply because it doesn't have the two tits shouting over it, just Liam's music with some guest vocalists - how it should be. He should go it alone. Do a Paul Hartnoll job and get some orchestration in.

Advertisement