Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration.

Options
  • 02-06-2009 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Lets get real here.
    We've had a lot of people complaining about the growing number of immigrants in Ireland who wanna hammer down on it and we've had people who wanna let loose the border gates.

So here's the question and debate.
    Is immigration a growing concern in Ireland?
    If so how do you reckon we deal with it?

A serious discussion about the prospects of immigration in this country.

How is immigration affecting Ireland.
    Is it putting excessive pressure on the welfare system?
    Is it reducing the job opportunities in the country?
    What other risks does the growing amount of immigration pose to the country...?

Questions that are at the back of most people's mind here. I think its about time we start speaking about them and discussing them clearly.

I believe immigration is normally very healthy to the country. Afterall this world belongs to everyone and we shouldn't restrict anyone from going to anywhere. Immigration also brings in revenue and much needed workforce to a country during normal healthy economic times. But right now things are different. The economy is in peril. But do you think cuz of that we should stop letting people from other places enter into this country?
    Its a tough question to answer.
    But i believe we shouldn't stop immigration. But regulate jobs more efficiently. If there are no job prospects in the country, like during these tough times, there would be little or no initiative for immigrants to immigrate to this country. Hence that could solve the problem itself without us needed to do anything much about it.
    But thats just my opinion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

The 'Immigration Control Platform' poll less than 2%, have not got a single council seat, have not got a single T.D, and could hold their National Conference in a phone-booth.

They insist immigration is the "elephant in the room" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

Too right, if you get rid of social welfare, then immigration would be self regulating if it was completely open.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

Who are you referring to as being able to stroll into the country and automatically receive benefits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

cm2000 wrote: »
    Too right, if you get rid of social welfare, then immigration would be self regulating if it was completely open.

There is no empirical proof for welfare systems having a pull factor for immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

PrivateEye wrote: »
    The 'Immigration Control Platform' poll less than 2%, have not got a single council seat, have not got a single T.D, and could hold their National Conference in a phone-booth.

They insist immigration is the "elephant in the room" :rolleyes:

I'd say a big reason for this is people don't want to support this movement because of it's BNP-like ethos, probably for fear of being branded a racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...which, seeing as it isn't true, really doesn't matter a rats ass now, does it? The vast vast majority who came here were from Eastern Europe, and were and are perfectly entitled to. They are not eligible for anything unless they've worked here two years, and then its the stamps, not the dole......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'd say a big reason for this is people don't want to support this movement because of it's BNP-like ethos, probably for fear of being branded a racist.

Not quite. The support for "nasty" parties is sometimes understated in opinion polls because people can be a little ashamed or embarrassed about saying where they stand. That's because they are saying it to one person, the pollster.

In the voting booth, however, they have no such inhibition.

I think that far more than 2% of our population have some xenophobic leanings, and some of those people focus particularly of people of different pigmentation. But for many, whatever xenophobic or racist sentiment they hold is not top of their agenda, and they will still vote for candidates who are not advancing anti-immigrant policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Nodin wrote: »
    The vast vast majority who came here were from Eastern Europe...
    Were they? I'd be very suprised if the vast majority (>80% ?) of immigrants in Ireland are from Eastern Europe.

Speaking of which, what constitutes "Eastern Europe" anyway? It’s a term that gets thrown around an awful lot these days without having a specific meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

djpbarry wrote: »
    Were they? I'd be very suprised if the vast majority (>80% ?) of immigrants in Ireland are from Eastern Europe.

Speaking of which, what constitutes "Eastern Europe" anyway? It’s a term that gets thrown around an awful lot these days without having a specific meaning.

them nicer looking people :D

"Vast" may have been overstating the case, as I forgot to think of the Chinese. However.....

62,00 - 200,000 Poles
    100,000 Lithuanians
    20,000 Latvians
    12-13,000 Romanians
    5,000 Moldovans
    2,000 or so Estonians

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/23/AR2007102302162_pf.html
    http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2005/08/27/story218150.asp
    http://latviansonline.com/index.php/commentary/article/1253/
    http://www.moldova.ie/About_Us.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

As I see it when people say Eastern European with regard to immigrants they mean both EU (polish etc) and non-EU (Russian etc) although entitlements are different

according to Census 2006 there were 419,733 non-Irish in Ireland

112k - UK
    163k - Rest of EU
    24k - Rest of Europe
    35k - Africa
    46k - Asian
    21k - American
    16k - other
    45k - Not-stated

Even allowing for the not-stated Its clear EU makes up most of the number (275k)

Of course these are population figures so we don't know how many are here as immigrants or asylum seekers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I’d be reluctant to use sources other than the official census figures; granted, they’re not perfect, but they’re the best we have. Many of the figures given for numbers of foreign nationals in Ireland have absolutely no basis, such as Conor Lenihan’s claim that there may be as many as 200,000 Poles resident in the state. Yes, there may be Conor, but we have absolutely no evidence to support this claim. Personally, I find it hard to believe that the census would underestimate the numbers of one particular nationality so drastically.

So, according to the census figures, Eastern Europeans (nationals of Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine) made up just over 32% of the total number of non-Irish people resident in the state in 2006.

So you aren't really interested in talking about immigration, just the hardy perennial that is 'bogus asylum seekers'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

djpbarry wrote:
    So, according to the census figures, Eastern Europeans (nationals of Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine) made up just over 32% of the total number of non-Irish people resident in the state in 2006.

How long did it take for them to reach 32% of the total non-Irish population? For how many years before the 2006 census did we have large-scale immigration from eastern Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Well, to bring this tread back to its topic.

I started thread after i ended up having a little discussion with a couple of BNP supporters who were going on about how immigration has ruined britain. It has increased the crime rater and ruined the economy. They said many stupid racist things like correlation between how **** a country is and how many "non-whites" are in it, society is a racial construct and all. They also love to go on about the "look at pictures of london before and after immigration" crap.

Then there were a few points that got me thinking... like the reverse-racism in Britain, how the working class in Britain feel defranchised.
    And if any of that could creep over the pond into Ireland too...

So is there really a problem with immigration in this country?
    If so what is the problem we're having with imigration?
    Is it just a clash of cultures and society or is it plain xenophobia and racism?
    Or is it because of the economical and criminal implications??

Or is all of it just some cooked up crap by people like the ones in the BNP to incite people into supporting their ideology??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Joe C

lmtduffy wrote: »
    There is no empirical proof for welfare systems having a pull factor for immigrants.

It seems to have one for asylum seekers - when we cut the entitlement to child benefit for asylum seekers the numbers claiming asylum here halved from one year to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

True.

Why do the assylum seekers come to Ireland rather than going to somewhere like China or Russia??

Cuz they wouldn't get **** in those countries.
    They come to Ireland cuz they get social welfare here, free healthcare here, free education here and all those things.

Take those things away and you'ld only be left with the people who come here looking to contribute with some skilled labour bringing in revenue and skill labour to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Source? Year?

jdivision wrote: »
    Source? Year?

ORAC statistics. 2003/2004

As they are a minority of immigrants overall, I fail to see why we should focus on them.

Whats the topic about?

What percentage of the total number of immigrants are Asylum seekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

As they are a minority of immigrants overall, I fail to see why we should focus on them.

Have you ever read the Irish Times or watched RTE present anything to do with immigration?

Which do do you think would receive most hits on a Google search - Chinese in Ireland or Pamela Izevbekhai?

I think the media obsession with contrived asylum applicants (almost invariably Nigerian) and their faux outrage at their less than beaten down treatment has had the effect of promoting a lingering resentment, that has tainted immigration in general.

It has also hampered legitimate and belated attempts to put manners on a clearly broken system so that we can sort out this absurd "asylum seeking" mess, firmly and fairly and also take the neccessary steps to ensure that legal immigration is finally managed with the blessing of Irish people and for the good of Irish people.

• Advertisement

Where did you get the €300m figure from? I think it's a bit low.

And I take it you're not saying that all asylum seekers are actually economic migrants ? The vast majority are, but there are some genuine cases too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement