Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah Bloody Hell and all that!!!!

Options
  • 02-06-2009 12:28am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right where do I bloody start.

So yeah, the gigabyte p43 motherboard i got about 6 months ago, been working fine, updated the bios with no problems whatsoever. Low and behold i go to update it this evening, its completely fecked the thing up. Black screen when it restarted. So i thought 'Right, time to get the jumpers to clear the CMOS and see if that sorts it'. Nope not at all. So I took out the CMOS itself and went through the routine (you know, disconnecting the PSU, holding the power button for a while, keeping the battery out for 20 mins, done the same thing with the jumpers just in case you're wondering). No luck at all.

At this point my patience was beginning to wear thin. So I went and grabbed my older motherboard, stuck everything together and booted it up. Booted grand, installed some drivers etc etc, the usual, and what happens? My keyboard and mouse isnt recognized! 'Balls to it all!' I said. So I rebooted to get into the bios and check the USB settings there. Oh look! My keyboard doesnt work either!! So theeeen I go into my attic to grab a PS/2 keyboard, cause like, you know, they're great, should always work. Not a chance, buddy. I mean its not even recognizing them as unknown devices.

At this moment in time, my devotion to PCs is nearly out the bloody window. Any help? I think I've exhausted everything. Only thing i can do is send the mobo back or get another one, or contact Gigabyte about a replacement battery.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

right... took a chance by jumping the WOL via USB devices pins on the older motherboard (i was desperate). it worked! cant believe it! the other motherboard still doesnt work though. it has dualbios on it, but havent got a clue why it didnt automatically revert to it? anyone ideas on that before i go RMA'ing it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

bah 6 weeks to repair it at a cost of 45 inc postage at my expense. not really worth my effort. im gonna buy a new mobo. any recommendations for Q6600, 8GB PC6400 DDR2 and a GTX260?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Is it a virtual dual bios or are there two physical bios chips on the board (not sure of your exact p43 board), because the virtual ones are supposed to be pretty flaky (They are basically a last successful boot copy, an image stored on the HDD or something like that). So perhaps it just simply can't even get that far on power up.

No suggested solution though sorry. :(

marco_polo wrote: »
    Is it a virtual dual bios or are there two physical bios chips on the board (not sure of your exact p43 board), because the virtual ones are supposed to be pretty flaky (They are basically a last successful boot copy, an image stored on the HDD or something like that). So perhaps it just simply can't even get that far on power up.

No suggested solution though sorry. :(

heh well theres 2 physical bios chips on the board, on p_bios (primary bios) and one b_bios (backup bios). its alright though, i ordered an identical one in the end. i just wont update the bios from windows again :) though i never had problems updating from windows before, which is why i am perplexed.

Advertisement