Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results

Options
  • 02-06-2009 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

The results are out 3 weeks today. Are letters sent out if you fail a subject?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Yes, they usually get sent out in advance of the exams results date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TheKnowledge

Letters are usually sent a week before the results are up, so you can wait til the 15th to 19th to worry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Letters are usually sent a week before the results are up, so you can wait til the 15th to 19th to worry

No worrying. Whats done is done..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭limericklady87

my friend is in science teaching and mentioned to me that his fyp supervisor said the 4th years can contact student admin for their results after the 9th of june if we need them for interviews or whatever...sounds a little off to me. anyone know anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

i do vaguely remember something about some of my friends over the last few years gettin their results early when they were in 4th year..But i'm not sure if they were just able to get the degree they were awarded(like whether they got a 2.1 or 2.2) or all their results..yeah thats not very helpful i know but i can't really remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

The results are generally on the system two weeks in advance of the official date, I know this through working in the ITD, so if you have connections in Student Services or ITD you could get them this week but you'd need a decent reason like a job interview or application for them to show you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shelllz

Quick Q! Do results ever come out earlier than the official date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

If they are due on a monday they normally are up on the previous friday... normally!

Thanks a mill, they certainly take their time anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Shelllz wrote: »
    Quick Q! Do results ever come out earlier than the official date?
    If they are due on a monday they normally are up on the previous friday... normally!

That used to be case, but it wasnt the case at xmas and summer exams last year. The results werent up until almost 10a.m. on the date specified, in this case the 22nd June.

I wouldnt be hoping for them to be up early, and tbh what difference does it make? Its not like they are going to be different whether you get them today, next week, or the 22nd

• Advertisement

Mossin wrote: »
    , and tbh what difference does it make? Its not like they are going to be different whether you get them today, next week, or the 22nd

Its not going to make a difference at all, at all! I am just curious thats all!

I only asked because in my previous degree at a different college the results were always out a week or two even before the official date, so i was just wondering if it was the same in UL thats all!

Regards,
    Shelllz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

So if I rang SAA in the morning and asked for my QCA, or even whether I got my 2.1 degree... for the purpose of a master's acceptance (which is due tomorrow), do you think they'd let me know?

I don't have to know this to accept, but the offer is conditional on getting a 2.1 and I don't think I've got that, so would rather know now - pre-acceptance & getting hopes up!

Shyster wrote: »
    So if I rang SAA in the morning and asked for my QCA, or even whether I got my 2.1 degree... for the purpose of a master's acceptance (which is due tomorrow), do you think they'd let me know?

I don't have to know this to accept, but the offer is conditional on getting a 2.1 and I don't think I've got that, so would rather know now - pre-acceptance & getting hopes up!

Try ring your course leader or your FYP supervisor. They ought to be able to get you your final QCA rating, if not necessarily your exact results just yet.

I need to know for masters acceptance, but I paid the acceptance fee a while back.

I'll wait for the results

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

Every semster around results time i check out boards to hear people talk about getting results early but iv never actually heard of it actually working, (not in last 2 years anyway).

Iv always had to wait for the morning of the official date (and then for another hour or so for ITD or whoever to sort out the trafffic overload on the site)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

You don't need to have your final results to apply for a masters, I haven't got mine and I applied. Both Trinity and UL said it's ok to put in results pending on my application form for the moment if I think I will meet the requirements and they'll review it when I get my results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭clearya

Waiting for results is annoying, wish we got prelim results like in Dub or Gal, wouldn't normally be too bothered but need to know that I've got my 2:1 or I can prob kiss my training contract goodbye...roll on Monday week :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

any letters arrive today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

PeakOutput wrote: »
    any letters arrive today?

None for me today.
    I'm so relieved yet now the worry begins to grow about tomorrow, and the next day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

I needed a letter for my work saying my term dates for UL on it and they sent me two of the same letter on different days I got the second one today and nearly had a heart attack thinking it was a letter to say I failed.

I needed a letter for my work saying my term dates for UL on it and they sent me two of the same letter on different days I got the second one today and nearly had a heart attack thinking it was a letter to say I failed.

Hahaha! I bet you were so relieved!

• Advertisement

Hahaha! I bet you were so relieved!

+1

That must have been god damn awful! I dunno what I'd have done if it'd been me.

*Fingers still crossed though

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

If you get a D1 for a module, do you have to repeat it? And what about a D2? I want to know now cos I will be in a panic if I see a D on my results as I won't know whether I have to repeat or not.

kaji wrote: »
    If you get a D1 for a module, do you have to repeat it? And what about a D2? I want to know now cos I will be in a panic if I see a D on my results as I won't know whether I have to repeat or not.

Don't take my word for it, but I've heard that you can get D1s and D2s and not have to repeat so long as your overall QCA is 2.0 or above.
    However, if you fail the actual exam by itself in that module you will have to repeat the exam.

EG. Module XX001
    Project worth 50%
    Exam worth 50%
    If you get 100% in the Project but fail the exam you still have to repeat the exam even if overall you passed the module.

If it's the other way around though, and you pass the exam and get a compensating fail in the overall module you won't have to repeat it so long as your QCA is over 2.

Don't take my word for it, but I've heard that you can get D1s and D2s and not have to repeat so long as your overall QCA is 2.0 or above.
    However, if you fail the actual exam by itself in that module you will have to repeat the exam.

EG. Module XX001
    Project worth 50%
    Exam worth 50%
    If you get 100% in the Project but fail the exam you still have to repeat the exam even if overall you passed the module.

If it's the other way around though, and you pass the exam and get a compensating fail in the overall module you won't have to repeat it so long as your QCA is over 2.

This is all true.
    I got a D grade back in 1st year, and I didnt have to repeat the module as my QCA was higher than 2.0. They are referred to as compensating fails, and can be repeated if you want to in order to increase your QCA, but repeats are capped so its often not worth repeating unless needed to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DozeyRozey

Hi guys,
    I'm awaiting the dreaded letter :( just wondering if anyone got one yet?

oh, and a lil question.. if I happen to fail FIVE modules, anyone know what will happen? will I be allowed progress to the next year? sorry, panickin' here :pac:

DozeyRozey wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm awaiting the dreaded letter :( just wondering if anyone got one yet?

No word on any letters as of yet...
    oh, and a lil question.. if I happen to fail FIVE modules, anyone know what will happen? will I be allowed progress to the next year? sorry, panickin' here :pac:

Afaik you cannot fail 5 modules in a year and continue to the following year. I think the maximum fails in a year that you are allowed to repeat is 4, and that is curtailed at 2 per semester also. [I am open to correction on this though]

Wait for your results, and stop panicking as there isnt anything you can do about the results right now. When they come out, then assess your options from there, and hopefully all will be well for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DozeyRozey

urm... failed 3 last Semester, 2 NGs and an F. Oh well, we'll see what this letter says :o thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

i thought the letters don't usually come till the friday??

Mossin wrote: »
    No word on any letters as of yet...

Afaik you cannot fail 5 modules in a year and continue to the following year. I think the maximum fails in a year that you are allowed to repeat is 4, and that is curtailed at 2 per semester also.

Does that also include compensating fails?

• Advertisement

Does that also include compensating fails?

Not as far as I'm aware.
    They indicate that you have passed a module, and are only necessary to repeat if one's QCA is lower than 2.0 for the year/overall.

Advertisement