Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spoiler****Bobby Lashley v Bob Sapp

Options
  • 02-06-2009 1:05am

Former World Wrestling Entertainment star and up-and-coming mixed-martial-arts heavyweight fighter Bobby Lashley (3-0) will fight former NFL lineman and kickboxer Bob Sapp (10-4-1) on June 27.

Lashley, an American Top Team fighter, announced the super-heavyweight fight with a Monday Twitter posting.

Lashley, who defeated Joshua Franklin and Jason Guida in his first two pro bouts, will now take on a competitor who will surely sell some tickets but likely to do little to help him mover up the MMA ladder.

The fight takes place at the Mississippi Gulf Coast Coliseum in Biloxi, Miss., for an upstart (and currently unnamed) MMA promotion.

While a victory over Sapp will likely do little to help Lashley's reputation in the industry, the K-1 kickboxer does present a legitimate challenge based on his size alone. The approximately 350-pound Sapp will likely outweigh Lashley by 100 pounds on fight night, and his 6-foot-5 frame should give him a reach advantage.

However, given Lashely's wrestling credentials (he's a two-time NAIA national collegiate wrestling champion), Sapp could be in serious trouble if the fight goes to the ground.

Sapp is 5-1 in his past six MMA fights. He last competed at the Dec. 31 K-1 Dynamite!! show in Japan, where he defeated Akihito Tanaka (who was dressed as a cartoon character) with a first-round TKO.
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/14646/bobby-lashley-signs-to-fight-bob-sapp-on-june-27-in-mississippi.mma
    I think this will be very interesting with a more experienced Sapp v an up-and-coming Lashley.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Sapp will lose, quickly and definitively. You heard it here first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Bumping to remind folks this is tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

id say blink and you will miss it.

this isnt gonna last long. Second!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

where can you see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

easy win for lashley unless he's caught a lucky punch

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

well here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXBut55bfkk

Not the best display of mma you'll ever see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Probably should have some spoiler tags in here. Not that the result is spoiled really. You have to ask yourself why Sapp still does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Sapp's groundwork has improved. Still worthless.

The Yvel/Rizzo fight was brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Questionable reffing in the Yvel - Rizzo fight for sure. Bloody hell. :eek:
    Yvel could clearly see he was out and still blasted him 3 more times. What a pr*ck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Nothing new there ^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Kazooie wrote: »
    Questionable reffing in the Yvel - Rizzo fight for sure. Bloody hell. :eek:
    Yvel could clearly see he was out and still blasted him 3 more times. What a pr*ck

Absolutely, that referee is supposed to be there to ensure fighter safety, what the hell was he waiting for?
    Yvel is an unsavoury character so that wasn't surprising, but he shouldn't have had the opportunity to tee off on a defenceless opponent. Sad to see Rizzo like that, suffered a few KOs lately I think?

Anyone catch the Tom Atencio fight ( the tshirt guy :) )?
    Nice recovery in the 1st round , shame the fight didnt go to the 3rd round was enjoying it, Tom was in pretty good shape for 42 , some great comments after the fight about Dana :D

There were a few decent fights on the card more than I expected

I tought it was a terrible fight sorry i didn't think of putting spoiler tags in the title I made the thread a while ago to inform people about the fight.:p

Maybe i felt it was more exciting due to who Tom was and
    the stick that in your pipe Dana factor , I really wanted to see the guy win, and when he got rocked early and recovered that showed some class from a guy of his age and experience i felt, felt he was pretty reserved in his comments after the fight RE: Dana showing some more class there funny an all as they were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Spoiler notice added to thread title.

Poor reffing all round.

Fair play to Atenico, was glad to see him get the W. Hes not fighting top guys, but you get the feeling hes fighting, just so he can be a fighter, and not to make any statement.

The ref stops the fight, not the fighter. Cant hold the Rizzo stoppage agaisnt Yvel. I am not trying to defend his past, but he was calling for the crowd to be quiet, until Rizzo had regained consciouness.

LAshley vs Sapp went as it was supposed too.

agreed Yvel's punches were the ref's fault , it was nowhere near a Sokoudjou's extra digs at dream 9 level now was it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

A bit of perspective from the Yvel incident

http://www.mmatko.com/gilbert-yvel-post-fight-interview/

he does have a dodgy past but comes across well in this interview.
    Totally the ref's fault imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

yeah the refs job to stop a fight

Advertisement