Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative - full title of texts?

Options
  • 02-06-2009 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Basically, the texts I am doing are:

Philadelphia, Here I Come
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
    Inside, I'm dancing

Throught my answer, must I continuously go, and similarly in "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" we that Chris acts in a similar to Gar in "Philadelphia Here I come"...

Or can you say blah blah "The Curious Incident" blah blah "Philadelphia"

Must the full title be used every time, or can you abbreviate the titles to "Philadelphia" and "The Curious Incident"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Our teacher told us to say it a few times at the start (maybe twice each) and then you can start using shortened versions. Personnally the only text name I'm going to shorten is "Philadelphia, Here I Come" to "Philadelphia" my other two texts names are grand "Inside, I'm Dancing" and "Purple Hibiscus", although I'll be shortening the author of "Purple Hibiscus" from Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie to C.N. Adichie. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I mention them at the start, and then afterwards they become Philadelphia, A Portrait, and My Oedipus Complex just stays as it is.

I was reading a friends essay the other day and at the beginning she gave the real names and then said they'll be referred to hereafter as __________ respectively.

I don't think it matters really. I won't be writing out "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" more than once, anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I normally say at the start what I've studied and then put in brackets what I'm going to be calling them throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I think I abbreviated them to LoS (Lies of Silence), TTS (The Truman Show) and TC (The Crucible). Probably needs some quotation marks or something, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

I abbreviate them
    CIDN = Curious Incindent
    CP = Cinema Paradiso
    PHIC = Philadelphia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

I would've thought abbreviations weren't acceptable. In history it's highly frowned upon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I'm pretty sure jim lusby said last year that abbreviations were fine once you made it clear in the first paragraph what the abbrevations meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

pathway33 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure jim lusby said last year that abbreviations were fine once you made it clear in the first paragraph what the abbrevations meant.
    Yes, definitely abbreviate.

Just write at the start: "The texts I am studying are... etc etc" and put the abbreviation in brackets. Then just use abbreviations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Yes, definitely abbreviate.

Just write at the start: "The texts I am studying are... etc etc" and put the abbreviation in brackets. Then just use abbreviations.
    That's exactly what I do.

Advertisement