Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP! VW Golf air conditioning not cooling

• 02-06-2009 3:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭

Any help appreciated here folks

I have a 04 Golf V 1.6 Comfortline
    When i turn on the AC, no cold air. The AC pump kicks in alright but the air temp is just like what you get from the fan. I noticed a while back that the air only cooled after leaving the AC running for a few mins but now nothing at all. Could the refrigerant be low or do I have a bigger problem?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Any help appreciated here folks

I have a 04 Golf V 1.6 Comfortline
    When i turn on the AC, no cold air. The AC pump kicks in alright but the air temp is just like what you get from the fan. I noticed a while back that the air only cooled after leaving the AC running for a few mins but now nothing at all. Could the refrigerant be low or do I have a bigger problem?

Thanks in advance

The refrigerant could be low or you could have a leaky pipe. You should have your system pressure tested and refilled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Cheers mate, is that a big job or could i do it myself do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HighMan

You can get diy kits in most good motor factors.

Lovely stuff, thanks lads much obliged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There's a guy calle John Kenealy on Bancroft Rd in Tallaght who does car air con repair & refilling - i'd use him, from memory he only charges around €60. He's mobile too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Change pollen filter also. I done mine recently as it was manky, the results were cool, clean air. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Mk4 golfs have a problem with the climate control system.

There is little motors/ solenoids that control the flaps in the air box. These give trouble.

I also had a problem with mine. I thought the refrigerant was low but it was the fuse for the a/c cooling fan that was faulty.

It is in a box on top of the battery, fairly obvious if it is gone.

Ok, got a can of R134a refrigerant, complete with hose, gauge and tap. Cost me a ridiculous €50 from the motor factors but thought at least it'll sort it.
    So followed the instructions, found the low side port and connected it up. To my horror, the gauge automatically went to red (around 75 psi as opposed to the 25 psi its supposed to be). On the can it says "if the gauge reads in the red, do not add refrigerant! You have more serious problems with your AC and it should be repaired only by a certified technician".

So i guess thats the end of the DIY and a waste of €50. Anyone have any ideas as to what else could be wrong?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Well its not a waste of €50 since you didn't use it right?

Get John Kenealy who was mentioned above. He came out and sorted mine out. Nice guy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Is your outside aircon radiator fan cutting in when you turn it on?

Have you checked the fuse that is on top of the battery?

• Advertisement

There are 2 fans on the radiator, one smaller than the other and neither is coming on when i turn on the aircon, when i turn it on the engine runs slightly faster but I can't hear anything from the compressor. I have checked all the fuses inside and out and they're fine.

By the way it's a Mark 5 not a Mark 4. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It sounds like the system is gassed up correctly so it would appear that you have a different faulty. Best to get a pro to look at it at this stage.
    There are 2 fans on the radiator, one smaller than the other and neither is coming on when i turn on the aircon
    Nothing to do with your aircon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Ok, got a can of R134a refrigerant, complete with hose, gauge and tap. Cost me a ridiculous €50 from the motor factors but thought at least it'll sort it.
    So followed the instructions, found the low side port and connected it up. To my horror, the gauge automatically went to red (around 75 psi as opposed to the 25 psi its supposed to be). On the can it says "if the gauge reads in the red, do not add refrigerant! You have more serious problems with your AC and it should be repaired only by a certified technician".

So i guess thats the end of the DIY and a waste of €50. Anyone have any ideas as to what else could be wrong?
    Thanks

Tell me you ran the A/C on full power while pressure testing ? I did my A4 last week. Read 45-50% when off. Read 20% when running. It took the whole can ( €29.99 ) from Halfords. Now running fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

do these diy kits repair holes in pipes?

my mondeo has a leaky pipe on the ac.... i got the said pipe but too much hassle to fit.

dodzy wrote: »
    Tell me you ran the A/C on full power while pressure testing ? I did my A4 last week. Read 45-50% when off. Read 20% when running. It took the whole can ( €29.99 ) from Halfords. Now running fine.

I did indeed, and I avoided halfords thinking they'd be dearer and ended up paying more, such is life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

BUMP....

posting this for a friend who has the same problem, he sent via email to me, any ideas?

"Hi Civildefence,

I have the exact same problem as you had. Aircon is not working on my mk V golf and when I tried a regas the pressure was in the red. Can you remember what solved your problem?

Advertisement