Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kimbo a contestant on TUF 10!

Options

Comments

The Legend of Kimbo will be crushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Holy God...Laugh or cry? Laugh or cry? Laugh or cry?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Dana White is a cruel cruel man. The whole of season 10 will be about destroying the mans credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I am in work and cant read the site. Can some copy and paste the ext pls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

I guess Kevin Ferguson really wants to be an F-ing fighter after all.

“Kimbo Slice” has apparently inked a deal with the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and will debut as a participant on the upcoming tenth season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) according to Yahoo Sports.

Strikeforce recently passed on the contract of the former Elite XC heavyweight after the San Jose-based promotion purchased select Pro Elite assets following the company’s demise.

While there was some initial interest in his services, it was unrealistic to think they would pay him $500,000 (what he got paid for the Petruzelli fight) to bang with middle-of-the-road competition. In the end, the two sides could not find a common ground financially, and Slice officially became a free agent.

Anyone who would have predicted he’d end up on the Zuffa payroll would have gotten a visit from men in white coats at 3am for a long ride in the paddywagon — especially after all the disparaging remarks UFC President Dana White has made regarding the former street fighter and YouTube sensation.

However under all the insults and potshots, one thing White did promise was that Slice could join the UFC ranks if he fought his way into the cage via a stint on The Ultimate Fighter, White’s proving ground for up-and-coming talent looking to make it big.

Here’s a snip from the prez during the UFC 90 post-fight presser:

“What has the guy done to deserve to be in the UFC? Nothing. I don’t consider him a real athlete or anything. He won’t win The Ultimate Fighter (TUF). The offer is out there if he wants to take it and he won’t win it. I might [put a heavyweight show together just for him].”

I guess Ferguson took that as a challenge, as the bearded bruiser is now set to debut on the Spike TV reality show on September 16.

Slice made his mark on the entertainment world by knocking out cans in Miami backyards. By airing the footage on YouTube.com, he became an overnight celebrity and was taken under the wing of promoter Gary Shaw.

He also enlisted the help of legendary mixed martial artist Bas Rutten as his head trainer and began training consistently for more than two years (Rutten and Ferguson have since parted ways). Kimbo’s first loss to Seth Petruzelli at Elite XC ‘Heat’ last October on National television quickly ended the Kimbo phenomenon and was likely the final nail in the coffin of Pro Elite.

It will be interesting to see how he responds in an environment full of hungry up-and-comers — as well as to coaches Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and “Sugar” Rashad Evans, who will steer this ship come September.

The Ultimate Fighter 10 has been full of surprises. First Evans, then Jackson and now Ferguson. I guess we best prepare ourselves for some black on black (on black) crime.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Wish it was Fedor :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

A joke to be honest.

-KO'd by a jab, to a man who was an also ran in a previous season.
    -Bas Rutten gave up on him as he didn't put the effort in in training
    -James Thompson pretty much ground and pound him to defeat bar the probability the ref was told not to stop it

A show that has deteriorated every single season, I would imagine this will be the last one. I also bet they give him the easiest way to stay in the house, and if they need to fight to get in, he will get the can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Was gonna say why give him any more air time , but agreed Dana is one cruel s.o.b :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There are too many series of TUF, so it is wearing a bit thin. The current series is quite boring actually, but that could just be because of the overkill.

Rampage as a coach again? I did not see the previous series with him involved, but was he not a terrible failure there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

A show that has deteriorated every single season, I would imagine this will be the last one. I also bet they give him the easiest way to stay in the house, and if they need to fight to get in, he will get the can.

I read somewhere that the 16 heavyweight fighters chosen go straight into the house so no pre-lims. Wonder if Spike will have a say in when Kimbo fights cos they will want him to stay as long as possible but Dana will prob want him to fight first and be rid of him even if it costs him loads of money !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

Dana White is a marketing genius!

There is no bad way for this to work out for him and his company.

Let's look at the possible scenarios:

1) Slice wins the show - probably unlikely but we don't know how much and what quality training he's been doing since October. He also wasn't a nobody. He certainly wasn't anywhere in the top 10 heavyweight fighters in the world (or even top 50 for that matter) but he's still got the ability to throw a punch, has an incredible frame and apparently has good jitz. If he wins the show, then Dana White can use this to propel him to big drawing fights while only paying him the starting salary of a TUF winner.

2) Slice wins 1 or 2 fights but loses along the way / in the finals. - Probably more likely, Dana can still ensure that he gets to fight on the finale at now an even lower wage but will still have immense drawing power.

3) Slice loses his first fight - he's still gonna be in the house and training with Rampage and Rashad. People will be tuning in every week just to see the interaction. Dana can then use this loss to discuss how far superior the UFC is to other promotions.

4) Slice gets in a fight in the house. Dana kicks him off the show for being a thug and can spin it as he only wants real fighters, respectable fighters and doesn't believe in this backyard BS that Slice partakes in. This would certainly earn Dana back a bit of credibility after he let Junie Browning stay in Season 8.

This show could expose Kimbo's total lack of personality tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Locomotion wrote: »
    Dana White is a marketing genius!

There is no bad way for this to work out for him and his company.

Let's look at the possible scenarios:

1) Slice wins the show - probably unlikely but we don't know how much and what quality training he's been doing since October. He also wasn't a nobody. He certainly wasn't anywhere in the top 10 heavyweight fighters in the world (or even top 50 for that matter) but he's still got the ability to throw a punch, has an incredible frame and apparently has good jitz. If he wins the show, then Dana White can use this to propel him to big drawing fights while only paying him the starting salary of a TUF winner.
    an even lower wage but will still have immense drawing power.

:eek::eek: are you ok?

I honestly dont see him passing the peliminarys . Unless he is fed somebody .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

I honestly dont see him passing the peliminarys . Unless he is fed somebody .

There's not gonna be preliminaries this season. It's just 16 fighters going into the house and only 1 weight class. So we've got a whole season of Kimbo...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

What channel is the TUF series shown on?

Kimbo pops up at the 6.18 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

get hulk hogan in there and u got urself a show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Jesus Christ, the sooner this lad gets the snot kicked out of him the quicker he can **** off back to the hole he came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I feel like I am one of the few that is impressed by this move.

Kimbo will presumably get paid a lot less from Zuffa for TUF, unless he wins, than he would have gotten if he took a lower rate from Strikeforce. His previous failings aside, I am impressed that he is making this move, because it feels like he has alot more to lose than to gain.

• Advertisement

This is just surreal looking
    i_cfc_medium.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dunkamania wrote: »
    I feel like I am one of the few that is impressed by this move.

Kimbo will presumably get paid a lot less from Zuffa for TUF, unless he wins, than he would have gotten if he took a lower rate from Strikeforce. His previous failings aside, I am impressed that he is making this move, because it feels like he has alot more to lose than to gain.

Absolutely.

Now he'll be faced with technical, if not amateur fighters instead of the junkyard slungers he's faced in the past.

Of course, I've had my first day off work in a week - been out in the sun with my Danish friends (Carlsberg) all day so may be open to having my ass tore apart, but I'll be looking forward to this one.

Good move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

personally i cant stand kimbo but least he is actually attempting to work for it and get in on his ability not fame(unlike certain champions that will remain unnamed...BROCK). He knows he could get knocked out in the first fight just like any other contestant

personally i cant stand kimbo but least he is actually attempting to work for it and get in on his ability not fame(unlike certain champions that will remain unnamed...BROCK).

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

personally i cant stand kimbo but least he is actually attempting to work for it and get in on his ability not fame(unlike certain champions that will remain unnamed...BROCK). He knows he could get knocked out in the first fight just like any other contestant

How many other good college wrestlers learn a bit of kickboxing and start an MMA career?

Brock was on his way to being an Olympian, but the WWE threw a lot of money his way and he went with them.

If he had gone on to the Olympics and then into MMA would you still say he doesn't deserve it?

as in Brock the Amature Wrestling Champion??

edit: just got there before me chopper!

How many other good college wrestlers learn a bit of kickboxing and start an MMA career?

Brock was on his way to being an Olympian, but the WWE threw a lot of money his way and he went with them.

If he had gone on to the Olympics and then into MMA would you still say he doesn't deserve it?

ifs and buts! i dont think its deserved for being a wrestling champion, but anyways another thread another day, apoligies for bringin it up

anyways my point being im glad kimbo hasnt been thrown straight into the ufc and is being made work for it to show what kinda of fighter he is, personally hope he gets ko'd :pac:

ifs and buts!

anyways my point beingim glad kimbo hasnt been thrown straight into the ufc and is being made work for it to show what kinda of fighter he is, personally hope he gets ko'd :pac:

Am I the only person rootin for kimbo?? I hope he kicks ass!!! (but dont think he will)

paulieeye wrote: »
    Am I the only person rootin for kimbo?? I hope he kicks ass!!! (but dont think he will)

how pissed would dana be if he won it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

The main thing for people will be that he was fast tracked to the title.

He won his first match which was pretty much a gimme.
    Shown up by Mir in his second match.
    Beat Herring convincingly in his third.....but beating Heath Herring shouldn't have put him in line for a title shot.

Jardine has more claim to a shot at the LH title than Lesnar did to HW title and people would laugh at the idea of him getting a title shot. UFC seen the numbers his fights were getting and put him straight into the title picture to capatilize on it. Which would bring up a debate between ranking's or the freedom to make matches people want to see, but thats another thread.

Advertisement