Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worth upgrading my card ?

Options
  • 02-06-2009 6:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

I currently have an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX (768MB) and was wondering would it be worth my while upgrading to an EVGA GeForce GTX 260 (896MB), would I notice much difference ?

I can play the likes of Mass Effect, Wolverine, Grid etc.. @ 1920 x 1080 fine, Mirrors Edge lags a bit when I turn on Phys Effect, off and it runs fine too. Would my 8800 GTX be fine for upcoming games, ie Batman: Arkham Asylum and the new AvP ?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

If I was upgrading from a 8800 it wouldn't be to a 260. Save up and get a 275 or an ATI 4870. You will notice a huge difference with either of them. The 8800 is still a good card, and I doubt you would see a big difference with a 260.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I currently have an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX (768MB) and was wondering would it be worth my while upgrading to an EVGA GeForce GTX 260 (896MB), would I notice much difference ?

I can play the likes of Mass Effect, Wolverine, Grid etc.. @ 1920 x 1080 fine, Mirrors Edge lags a bit when I turn on Phys Effect, off and it runs fine too. Would my 8800 GTX be fine for upcoming games, ie Batman: Arkham Asylum and the new AvP ?

Thanks in advance :)

There is life left in a 8800GTX I would hang on to it for a long as possible but you will have to start dropping some settings if you want to play some new games @ 1920 x 1080.

If you have to have everything set @ max for all games then you are looking at at least a 4890 and up.

Personally I would stick with the 8800GTX and wait another while for a game that the 8800 GTX can't run very well and then see about getting a new.

At the very least prices will have come down a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

As above..the new range of dx11 cards will be launched soon enough.
    The 8800gtx is still a great card and will play all games easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

the new range of dx11 cards will be launched soon enough.
    The 8800gtx is still a great card and will play all games easily enough.

"Soon enough" for you maybe. :D All reports suggest that the next big thing, the 300 series, is being pushed back to early 2010. Thats not soon in my eyes. If the OP is happy with his 8800 gtx then he should wait until they ship as they will be a big step.

Personally, Im running two 8800 ultra's and while i "can run" any game, some of the newer stuff is begginning to chug with the eye candy turned on. Far cry 2 struggled at dx10 1920x1200 for me when I turn on AA x4. It doesnt stay at 60fps and dips when the action starts.

Same with Fallout 3 when I turn on the new ambient occlusion. Yeh its highly playable, but ignorance is bliss. The small stutters that didn't annoy you when you were younger plague you now.

The 8800's are starting to show their age a bit. I nearly caved and bought a new 285 in march with another one down the road for sli.....but i resisted and I'm glad.

If i was the OP, I'd wait. But I dont mind waiting eight months.....other people might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If I was upgrading from a 8800 it wouldn't be to a 260. Save up and get a 275 or an ATI 4870. You will notice a huge difference with either of them. The 8800 is still a good card, and I doubt you would see a big difference with a 260.

The 8800GTX is a good card and has held up incredibly well, but there is a big difference between an 8800GTX and a GTX260.

Look at user reviews, anything from 30-50% faster generally overall, especially with AA and high resolution in games like Crysis.

It would be a decent upgrade, though a GTX275 would be the sweet spot if you can get it for a good price, it's better than the 4890, though the 4890 can be gotten for as little as 190, which makes it much better in terms of performance per euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I'll hold onto my 8800GTX for a while yet so and keep an eye on the prices of the GTX275 and above. Have to say though the 8800 is the longest running card I've used and the best I've had to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Caoltan

Man I've an 8800gtx too - I updated from dual 8600GTSs (don't ask) for around £100.
    It's a quality card. The only thing's I've seen it struggle with are Crysis with high detail and Stalker. Everything else is brilliant.

Probably wait around a little so as to get the same kind of card as the 8800gtx was when it came out - a long-life, kickass card!

Advertisement