Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught Copying

Options
  • 02-06-2009 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hey

I was caught copying in an assigment and wondering has anyone else been in this position. What has happened them. I have extenuating circumstances will that help me. Its going to mess up my GPA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Although I wasn't attending UCD at the time, it happened to one of the lads in my class. He was pulled up in front of a disciplinary committee and he was able to plead innocence (it was a genuine mistake on his part in fairness) . They believed him so he got away with a zero mark for the assignment and a telling off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Mahony wrote: »
    I have extenuating circumstances will that help me.

Extenuating Circumstances might have gotten you an extension on your assignment or graded lighter, but what type of ECs do you feel makes it ok for you to cheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Extenuating Circumstances might have gotten you an extension on your assignment or graded lighter, but what type of ECs do you feel makes it ok for you to cheat?

laziness? idiocy? there are many possibilities. Don't be so closed-minded, Kap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

you'll only get a slap on the wrist. However, I honestly hope you fail and lose everything, as you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I dont mean to join in the attack on the OP so I will temper it by agreeing that getting found out cheating really sucks. Im assuming as it was an assignment it was a case of direct copying word for word? Why would you cheat knowing full well that you would be found out? It vexes me ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The only cheat i ever used was up, down, left, right, a, start, in sonic 1 on the megadrive. shame on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Lot of tall horses on this thread :eek:
    Personally I couldn't care less whether you cheated or not OP. You're only cheating yourself in the long run as there is no easy road to learning. Anyway, I hope you don't get expelled and that you've learnt a valuable lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

griffdaddy wrote: »
    The only cheat i ever used was up, down, left, right, a, start, in sonic 1 on the megadrive. shame on you.

The same cheat works for revenge of shinobi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The same cheat works for revenge of shinobi.
    Interesting. The only cheat i could get to work on that was when you select the number of Shirukens you want to begin with, you leave 00 selected for thirty seconds and press nothing, and then it changes to an infinity symbol.

What year are you in OP? if you're in 1st year they'll be a lot more lenient than if you're later on in college

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

waraf wrote: »
    Lot of tall horses on this thread :eek:

Well judging by your post you are sitting on the Tojan horse. :D . I am very proud of that an here is why
    • The Trojan horse was indeed the largest of all horses
    • The Trojan horse pretended to be a nice caring loving horse but was actually the worst of all horses

It works on so many levels. Honestly OP while you are a twat (I mean this in the nicest playfullist way so no reporting please) you will be grand as long as you are in first year and your GPA dosnt count. If it does then well it certainly will cost your GPA bad

• Advertisement

If Im right the OP started in UCD in September 05.
    I think though that they repeated a semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

If only you had copped on to up C down C left C right C A+start together

Interesting. The only cheat i could get to work on that was when you select the number of Shirukens you want to begin with, you leave 00 selected for thirty seconds and press nothing, and then it changes to an infinity symbol.

What year are you in OP? if you're in 1st year they'll be a lot more lenient than if you're later on in college
    oh yeah that was class.

Hmm might give this some support http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055571980

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I know a group of people who got in trouble recently. A few people copied another persons work. The whole lot (including the person who originally wrote the stuff, and who didn't pass it out), of them were called up to a disciplinary board. They were originally told they were going to be expelled, but that was probably just to scare them. They actually just got a slap on the wrist, along with 0% on the work in question. I think the lot of them passed the class overall though, since the copied material was just worth a small portion of their final grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I know a second year who got caught for plagiarism, he got a warning and no real action was taken.

Obviously depends on how you cheated, what subject you cheated in and to what extent you cheated.

You've a very good chance of getting away with at worst, a capped grade in that subject.

If your extenuating circumstances are serious enough, I'd imagine they'd take some degree of pity on you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Maybe I'm severely out of touch but I don't think the OP's extenuating circumstances (whatever they are) excuse dishonesty - certainly extenuating circumstances can allow for things like borderline pass/fail. A lot of honest people have their summer ruined by failing a subject so I hate seeing people trying to get away with it. You deserve to fail the module for cheating, end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Photojoe

Notorious wrote: »
    I know a group of people who got in trouble recently. A few people copied another persons work. The whole lot (including the person who originally wrote the stuff, and who didn't pass it out), of them were called up to a disciplinary board. They were originally told they were going to be expelled, but that was probably just to scare them. They actually just got a slap on the wrist, along with 0% on the work in question. I think the lot of them passed the class overall though, since the copied material was just worth a small portion of their final grade.
    They should all be expelled. Another case of passing all whatever the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

http://turnitin.com/ and others should be beginning to sort this craic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Photojoe wrote: »
    They should all be expelled. Another case of passing all whatever the cost.

That's a bit harsh though. That could be three years of good work (not to mention the money), just destroyed on one mark against your name. A straight mark of zero seems like enough justice IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

OP should get a slap on the wrist and a 0 in that assignment.

Tbh expelling someone for 1 mistake/stupid decision in 4 years is awfully harsh

Also I heard of 2nd yrs who had assignments every week worth 5% each one they plagarised and go caught for EVERY single one of them (UCD didnt tell em till the end of the module) so they failed that module straight off. That was pretty soft tbh. Cheating your way through an entire module atleast 10 times is MUCH worse than OP's 1 mistake/stupid choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Photojoe

TDOie wrote: »
    OP should get a slap on the wrist and a 0 in that assignment.

Tbh expelling someone for 1 mistake/stupid decision in 4 years is awfully harsh

Also I heard of 2nd yrs who had assignments every week worth 5% each one they plagarised and go caught for EVERY single one of them (UCD didnt tell em till the end of the module) so they failed that module straight off. That was pretty soft tbh. Cheating your way through an entire module atleast 10 times is MUCH worse than OP's 1 mistake/stupid choice.
    Cheating goes against the whole ethos of academia. It is about as serious as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Photojoe wrote: »
    Cheating goes against the whole ethos of academia. It is about as serious as it gets.

True but although I hate people who cheat I know people who can feel pressured to do so if they're under alot of stress or such. We dont really know OP's circumstances. I think it should be a slap on the wrist and a "do it again and your out" espeically if OP is in 1st or 2nd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I had a few friends who were tutors and they used between one and four programs to check for plagiarism on the assignments they received. If you're ever asked to submit something electronically, that's why.

I honestly think plagiarists are not only very silly, but quite low creatures who deserve to get caught and punished. I'm not a big fan of theft, least of all intellectual theft. I'm also in favour of harsh punishment for cheating. Plenty of people work hard and struggle through their exams to gain justified results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I've seen people get pulled up for omitting a reference in some of there work, they didn't get disciplinary action, but they were warned that if it happened again it would not be looked on favourably (and that was for one sentence).

I've also seen lots of people rip of vast quantities of work from people from years preceding them and get away with it because they've changed it just enough to not get caught.

End of the Day OP, extenuating circumstances do not factor, if you had them, you should have used them to get an extension for your coursework, not do submit dodge work. That shows a clear lack of judgement on your part.

As the exact extent and nature of your cheating is unclear here, the exact consequences are also unclear. Suffice to say the minimum to expect is a Zero in that module, the need to repeat said module in its entirety (if indeed they allow you do do so) and it being on your transcripts from the University. This could also have an impact should you wish to continue onto Graduate Courses, both in UCD and in other institutions.

As an aside, I refer you all to this wonderful blog entry written by DCU President Dr Ferdinand Von Prondzynski on plagiarism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

This is a little story of what happened to me last year and is not intended as some self aggrandizing tripe or drivel where I spout off how stupid the op is and how much better I am or something, this is just what happened to me last year as form of comparison.
    OP, last year around March my house burnt down with my mother spending 2 weeks in intensive care, I missed 3 weeks of college while refurbishing my house, I got out the extenuating circumstances forms but intended to get as much work done as possible in the last week of college, with my several thousands of words of assignments and study preparation for 5 exams. Now my gpa in Christamas of that year was 3.9, I managed to write about 12,000 words in assignments and study for exams in the space of a fortnight and pulled a gpa of 3.97 for the second semester. Needless to say, I didn't cheat or plargarise and won an awards for the highest grades of that year, so do you really think an extenuating circumstances form is going to save your hide with regards plagarism? You cheated, passed off work that wasn't your own, you deserve whatever they dole out, next time register with this crowd and recheck your work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Unfortunately you'll probably get away with a mere rap on the knuckes accompanied by a severe warning not to do it again, even though you deserve to be punished severely for your laziness, your cheating and your theft of somebody else's work.

This is an example of what can happen if one is caught plagiarising: A friend of mine re-used part of an essay he had submitted the previous academic year. The lecturer realised this, awarded him a zero for the assignment and gave him a lecture on the gravity of plagiarism. In this case, the student had plagiarised his own work, not somebody else's, but it demonstrates the gravity with which the theft of academic work is viewed. The above incident also cost my friend from achieving an overall first for his degree.

Just because you had extenuating circumstances doesn't give you an excuse to plagiarise. I hope you are punished for your laziness and your cheating and that you have learned a valuable lesson.

bushy... wrote: »
    http://turnitin.com/ and others should be beginning to sort this craic

Its total shi*te. You would want to be a complete moron to get caught out by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Its total shi*te. You would want to be a complete moron to get caught out by that.

Very true, getting caught on this thing you would literally have had to lift the material in question and not cite it, literally copy and not reference or cite. Seriously op, how hard is it to use double inverted commas with either a footnote or in-text citation indicating the author and page number? Not really that hard, and surprisingly most of us manage to come to terms with this process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I hope the OP gets a zero mark and has to repeat the module, hopefully this will hold him/her back a semester and (s)he might learn something.
    After working my ass off for 4 years in my undergrad I think people that plagiarise/copy without remorse deserve everything they get. I'm now doing a post-grad and tutor labs and have caught people doing the most ridiculous things in handing up assignments. One group repeatedly handed up reports belonging to a group from the last year, all they changed were the names on the title page. Guess they didn't realise that the same person will usually be correcting the same labs from one year to another...see you again in september guys :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I also remember the Revenge of Shinobi infinity symbol cheat. It always disappointed me that there were no cheats for Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco Grand Prix II though.

Advertisement