Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbeth ..Most useful/important quotes..!

Options
  • 02-06-2009 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Post qoutes that can be generally maneuvered and slotted into any essay!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

"Fair is foul and foul is fair"
    Can be used for an essay on Macbeth, the Witches, and questions on themes like evil and deception.

Then the one where Banquo says instruments of darkness "win us with honest trifles, to betray's in deepest consequence"

Another one that I seem to use a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

on that, how accurate must quotes be?

for example, the quote "All causes shall give way, I am in blood stepp'd in so far" if you say "All causes shall make way, I am in blood stepp'd in so far", how would that affect your answer? Would the exminer should scam over quotes, or would the be specifically looking at the accuracy of your quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Emerald on www.leaving-cert.net did a post on Macbeth quotes. Can't be arsed finding the exact link, but the post should be on the front page anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

When he 'has done the deed' and the 'golden round' are two nice general ones .

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Emerald on www.leaving-cert.net did a post on Macbeth quotes. Can't be arsed finding the exact link, but the post should be on the front page anyway. :)

Woo! thats exactly what i was looking for! the direct link is
    http://leaving-cert.net/macbeth-quotez/

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 cill-bill

"out out brief candle, life is but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more, it is a tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury, signifing noting"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hmm thanks to the guy who compiled that list of quotes, but are they all word for word ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hmm thanks to the guy who compiled that list of quotes, but are they all word for word ?
    Nope, there's a few mistakes in them.
    Use google to check them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Ha more than likely dodgey.

A. Look at the pic of the guy who wrote them.

B. He wrote "Macbeth Quotez" <- what a tool

C. He wrote "Me ma picked up one of those ‘Less Stress, Less Success’ books for Macbeth last year. It’s pretty good. Figured I’d drop some knowledge on your asses.".

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

Can anyone tell me typical theme questions that come up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Evil, kingship, deception, ambition e.t.c. I have a feeling evil/supernatural will come up and to be honest thats an easy enough question to do so lets all pray. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Swizz wrote: »

C. He wrote "Me ma picked up one of those ‘Less Stress, Less Success’ books for Macbeth last year. It’s pretty good. Figured I’d drop some knowledge on your asses.".

That's pretty typical of his sense of humor, tbh.
    He was only trying to help. Even if you don't think the quotes are exactly accurate, it's a good place to be starting from if you've done nothing on Macbeth.

As for themes, lots of people talking about kingship/power, good-vs-evil and then the supernatural/deception. Banquo and Macbeth/Lady Macbeth's relationship have been talked about a lot also, for character questions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

He happens to be a guy in some of my classes. Hes unreal at English but I wouldn't be surprised if he was completely taking the piss knowing him! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

how many marks would u loose in the macbeth question if u dont include any quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

ImJohn wrote: »
    Evil, kingship, deception, ambition e.t.c. I have a feeling evil/supernatural will come up and to be honest thats an easy enough question to do so lets all pray. :)

okay thanks. And there's a "character" question also. People were talking about how they've asked Banquo before, but he wasn't in any of the papers (edco) or the sample papers...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Pooner

People stop freaking out about macbeth quotes!!!

The examiner doesnt want to know that you have learned off the play they are more intrested in your own view on it.

If you know the quote isnt word for word leave out the quotetion marks the examiner will be able to see that it is close reference to the play they are not total idiots. Eg. be not the flower but the serpent under it. (and if you know that serpent is definatly in that quote put quotation marks aroud that one word)

In fact there are no marks going for having quotes it just ties your answer in better with the play and lets them know you not bull****ting.:p;)

Best of luck everyone (15hr 49mins and 32secs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

When Lady Macbeth says to Macbeth "would thou have that which thou esteem'st the ornament of life and live a coward in thine own esteem,letting 'I dare not' wait upon 'I would',like the poor cat i'th' adage", is the "ornament of life" referring to the "golden opinions" he has won or to his soul?
    In my book it says that it refers to the crown, but I don't think that that makes sense there...

aine-maire wrote: »
    When Lady Macbeth says to Macbeth "would thou have that which thou esteem'st the ornament of life and live a coward in thine own esteem,letting 'I dare not' wait upon 'I would',like the poor cat i'th' adage", is the "ornament of life" referring to the "golden opinions" he has won or to his soul?
    In my book it says that it refers to the crown, but I don't think that that makes sense there...

My interpretation of it is that "Ornament of Life" refers to the crown.

My interpretation of it is that "Ornament of Life" refers to the crown.

But she's saying that if he didn't do it, he would have the "ornament of life" and be living as a coward...surely he wouldn't be a coward if he has the crown?

the book's wrong,dammit! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

He happens to be a guy in some of my classes. Hes unreal at English but I wouldn't be surprised if he was completely taking the piss knowing him! :pac:

Where do you go to school?

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

Where do you go to school?

:eek:

In Portmarnock! :pac:

But she's saying that if he didn't do it, he would have the "ornament of life" and be living as a coward...surely he wouldn't be a coward if he has the crown?

the book's wrong,dammit! :p

She's basically saying: "Would you have that which you percieve as the ornament of life, and live like a coward in your own honour?"

She's basically asking him would he be able to be the king if he's afraid of doing what he has to do to be king. She's questioning him, questioning his abilities and his manliness, basically.

At least that's my interpretation of it, anyway.

She's basically saying: "Would you have that which you percieve as the ornament of life, and live like a coward in your own honour?"

She's basically asking him would he be able to be the king if he's afraid of doing what he has to do to be king. She's questioning him, questioning his abilities and his manliness, basically.

At least that's my interpretation of it, anyway.

Oh ok,my interpretation was as follows:

Macbeth: "but lots of people like me and have golden opinions about me now..."

Lady Macbeth: "well would you have those golden opinions that you think are the 'ornament of life' and be a coward like a little cat that wouldn't get her feet wet?"

I guess it's a matter of opinion...the examiner can't go and ask Shakespeare who's right...;)

Oh ok,my interpretation was as follows:

Macbeth: "but lots of people like me and have golden opinions about me now..."

Lady Macbeth: "well would you have those golden opinions that you think are the 'ornament of life' and be a coward like a little cat that wouldn't get her feet wet?"

I guess it's a matter of opinion...the examiner can't go and ask Shakespeare who's right...;)

Yes he can, don't you know that all examiners have Shakespeare on speed dial? They say he is dead because they know if they told us the truth one of us would go and kill the ****er. Shakespeare is living with Rich and Brian Friel in a nice safe house in England so we don't knock them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Dead like butcher and fiend like Queen!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Yes he can, don't you know that all examiners have Shakespeare on speed dial? They say he is dead because they know if they told us the truth one of us would go and kill the ****er. Shakespeare is living with Rich and Brian Friel in a nice safe house in England so we don't knock them off.
    I thought he was with Bishop off the coast of Easter Island?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

my favourite quotes would have to be ''his brandished steel which smoked of bloddy execution''...''stars hide your fires,let not see my black and deep desires''

Stars, hide your fires;
    Let not light see my black and deep desires:

Stars, hide your fires;
    Let not light see my black and deep desires:

"the eye wink at the hand, yet let that be
    which the eye fears, when it is done to see" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Hmm yeh quotes, about that..:pac: