Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbeth ..Most useful/important quotes..!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

What I do if the question is about deception is write two lists side by side,on one side the deciever and the other side the decieved, you can then tie in some quotes like Duncan (of the Thane of Cawdor)"No more the Thane of Cawdor shall decieve our bosom interest"
    For evil just list evildoers and what they do and a couple of quotes, The Witches evil, causing the Captain of a ship to be in storms at sea because she wouldn't share her chestnuts,"Though his bark cannot be lost yet it shall be tempest tossed"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Stuff for describing Macbeth 'O worthiest cousin', 'noble Macbeth', 'brave Macbeth, well he deserves that name', 'valour's minion', 'worthy Macbeth', 'bellona's bridegroom', 'unititled tyrant', 'butcher', 'dwarvish thief'. i always throw in usurper as well.
    Stuff for describing Lady Macbeth 'honoured/fair and noble hostess,' 'fiend like queen', the fourth witch(by critics)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I compiled this a few mins ago. Should be all good.

Macbeth

"So foul and fair a day I have no seen"

"Brave Macbeth (well he deserves the name)

he fought "like valour's minion"

he is "Belona's bridegroom"

"Valiant cousin, worth gentlemen"

"Noble Macbeth"

"If chance will have me king, why, chance may crown me without my stir"

"is too full o' the milk of human kindness to catch the nearest way" (Said by Lady Macbeth)

"no spur to prick the sides of my intent but only vaulting ambition"

"I'm afraid to think what I have done, look on't again, I dare not"

"Will all great Neptune's ocean wash this blood clean from my hands?"

"Wake Duncan with thy knocking, I would thou couldst'"

"Had I but died an hour before this chance, I had lived a blessed time"

"in his house I keep a servant fee'd"

"My soul is too much charged with blood of thine already" (To Mac Duffman)

"My way of life is fall'n into the sear, the yellow leaf and that which should accompany old age as honour, love, obedience, troops of friends, I must not look to have"

"Lat on Macduffman, and damned be him that first cries "HOLD ENOUGH""

Lady Macbeth

"Come you Spirits that tend on mortal thoughts. Unsex me here and fill from the crown to the toe, top full of direst cruelty"

"Come to my women's breasts, and take my milk for gall"

"That which hath made them drunk hath made me bold"

"Had he not resembled my father as he slept I had done it"

"Out damned spot"

"Hell is murky"

"The thane of fife had a wife, where is she now"

"What! will these hands ne'er be clean ?"

"More needs she the divine than the physician" (Doctor about Lady Macbeth)

"Here's the smell of the blood still: all the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand. Oh, oh, oh!"

"She should have died hereafter" (Macbeth after the suicide)

Witches

"When shall we three meet again, in thunder lightening or in rain"

"Fair is foul and foul is fair hover through the fog and filthy air"

"The instruments of darkness tell us truths, Win us with honest trifles, to betray's" (Banqo)

"All hail, Macbeth! hail to thee, thane of Glamis! All hail, Macbeth, hail to thee, thane of Cawdor! All hail, Macbeth, thou shalt be king hereafter!"

Banqo (If he comes up God help us all)

"Noble Banqo, thou hast no less deserved"

"If you look into the seeds of time... / Speak then to me who, neither beg nor fear / Your favour nor your hate"

"I have begun to plant thee, and will labour / To make thee full of growing"

"There if I grow / The harvest is your own"

"Merciful powers, / Restrain in me the cursed thoughts that nature / Gives way to in repose"

"bosom frachis'd"

"allegiance clear"

"Thou hast it now: King, Cawdor, Glamis, all / As the weird women promised; and I fear / thous play'dst most foully for't"

"He hath a wisdom that doth guide his valour to act in safety" (Macbeth said of Banqo)

Macduffman

"Macduffman can't breath"

"He did command me to call timely on him"

"Most sacrilegious murder hath broke ope the Lord's anointed temple"

"The gracious Duncan"

"Wherefore did you do so"

"Was from his mother's womb untimely ta'en"

"I'll to fife"

Kingship

Just learn these....

Justice
    Verity
    Temperance
    Stableness
    County
    Perseverance
    Mercy
    Lowliness
    Devotion
    Patience
    Courage
    Fortitude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

errloyd you're awesome thanks!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

No worries, honestly helps me more to type them out and its only 2 seconds to post them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

jesus errlloyd!you are really scaring me there!!

anyway heres some:

"stars hide your fires let not light see my black and deep desires"

"murder hath broke ope the lords annointed temple and stole hence the life of the building"

"be innocent of the knowledge dearest chuck till thou applaud the deed"

"glamis thou are and thane of cawdor and shall be what thou are promised"

"I am in blood stepped in so far that should I wade no more returning were as tedious as go o'er"

"stay you imperfect speakers tell me more say from whence you owe this strang intelligence,speak I charge you!"

"is this a dagger which I see before me the handle towards my hand"

"do you not wish your children to be kings when those that gave thane of cawdor to me promised no less to them"

"out out brief candle lifes but a walking shadow a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stange and is heard no more it is a tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury signifying nothing"

"tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in this petty pace from day to day and nothing is but what is not to the last syllable of recorded time"

"I have given suck and know how tender tis to love the babe that milks me I would whistle it was smiling in my face have plucked my nipple from his boneless gums and dashed the brains out had I so sworn as you have done to this"

will all great Neptunes ocean wash this blood clean from my hand,no this my hand will rather the multituidinous seas incarnadine making the green one red"

"yet do I fear thy nature it is too full of the milk of human kindness to catch the nearest way"

"come you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts unsex me here and fill me from the crown to the toe top full of direst cruelty"

thats all I can think of now

Advertisement