Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

nommm wrote: »
    Nu - uh.

whoops, wrong person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

0ubliette wrote: »
    Yeah i was massive fan in the day, had all the albums and the live album and all but absolution was 50% awesome & 50% crap, and everything after that was just meh to me. A band that seem to have had their popularity surge the more mediocre their output

I can understand this comment.. Its strange but I get what your saying!! If their music has never changed then I probably might of grown bored of them!

Compared to their old stuff back off showbiz of OOS its just so much more of a rock type of sound and its epic!

As the band have progressed their output has become so much more complex. I really love their new stuff as I appreciate all the little things in the songs, such as the bells and strings in the background etc. Their music has evolved so much.. I love the amount of layers in the song yet it doesnt sound like a mess..

Although I would have to say I do prefer OSS I absolutely luv the symphony and the new album.

I don't think so. They're worth the hype imo. They were pretty successful anyway before they even started to receive hype.

definitely agree with that!! I mean.. you dont see out gigs constantly all over Europe and Australia if your not successful!

I think they would be better received and not have this hype that people go on about if they didnt sell out to the Twilight saga. I think muse sold out just so they could break into USA better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

When did Muse start receiving hype then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

S.M.B. wrote: »

On a bigger level around OoS. They became massively big when they signed up for Twilight, which was well after they had sold out two Wembley stadium dates. So I'll go with mainstream hype around BH&R, with all fan hype before that.

This sort of things happen with a lot of bands. Muse did it through long-term work though, not riding the coatails of a similar sounding band.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

S.M.B. wrote: »

I only remember the hype starting when Absolution was released. They had already started playing arenas at that stage. There was a tiny bit around OOS but it was only coming from a few journalists, lots of people were still writing them off as Radiohead wannabes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Muse lost their edginess and have been in a comfort zone for at least 3 years now. Matt's too scared to try anything new and there is plenty of evidence to show that if he doesn't like something, it doesn't happen. He's also scared of messing up songs. (perfect example would be when he played Collateral Damage at Teignmouth, messed it up, and decided to never play it again)
    Setlists have become tame and predictable, and I worry that their fame might have gotten to their heads a little. As a huge fan, I just hope they manage to settle down a bit and get their old shine back, because they still have great potential.

I was a bit worried last year too after the album seemed a bit all over the place and the set lists were so static. Even the performances were becoming slightly hit and miss. But watching videos of their recent performances, I think their back on form. They're started changing the setlist up a bit more. It is incredibly annoying the way they don't play anything unless it's perfect. I heard that's the reason they don't play Assassin either. :(

Just saw these brilliant videos from Japan during the Summer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JFUzCHvC9o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-WZsFAcsQA&feature=related
    :D

Did anybody else see their attempts at playing gold on twitter yesterday. :pac: It's quite funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

hypermuse wrote: »
    definitely agree with that!! I mean.. you dont see out gigs constantly all over Europe and Australia if your not successful!

You're talking about success, greenmachine88 was talking about whether or not they're any good. Anybody can have gigs all over Europe and Australia if they have a marketing machine behind them, and to get a marketing machine behind you, you just have to be a viable moneymaker. Nothing to do with talent or creativity or anything.

I used to be really into Muse, then I started forgetting about them as I got into other music. Hadn't thought about them until the other day when a friend said, "I heard that new Muse track on the radio there, it's amazing how much they ripped their sound off OK Computer." I don't know what song he meant, but I can see his point.

For a musician as good as Matt Bellamy, I don't get why he makes the music he does. Someone who can play the piano that well (like Butterflies and Hurricanes, not very original but damn impressive) must surely know a lot more about music than his band's later output would suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

El Pr0n wrote: »
    I used to be really into Muse, then I started forgetting about them as I got into other music. Hadn't thought about them until the other day when a friend said, "I heard that new Muse track on the radio there, it's amazing how much they ripped their sound off OK Computer." I don't know what song he meant, but I can see his point.

So you hadn't heard the song, didn't know what it was, but you can see his point? Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

For a musician as good as Matt Bellamy, I don't get why he makes the music he does. Someone who can play the piano that well (like Butterflies and Hurricanes, not very original but damn impressive) must surely know a lot more about music than his band's later output would suggest.

Muse want to be the biggest band in the world, I would say he knows exactly what he's been doing.

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    So you hadn't heard the song, didn't know what it was, but you can see his point? Well done.

How come when I make my contribution to the discussion you jump down my throat like that? I didn't mean I hadn't heard the song, I meant I couldn't remember what song he was talking about. I could name a few songs that would support his point. Plug In Baby, Stockholm Syndrome, Bliss, and Hysteria all spring to mind.
    OctavarIan wrote:
    Muse want to be the biggest band in the world, I would say he knows exactly what he's been doing.

Oh, I agree that they're going about being a 'big' band in the right way, but what I'm saying is, for someone who's (seemingly) studied so much music, the stuff he makes now is comparatively VERY bland.

How come when I make my contribution to the discussion you jump down my throat like that? I didn't mean I hadn't heard the song, I meant I couldn't remember what song he was talking about. I could name a few songs that would support his point. Plug In Baby, Stockholm Syndrome, Bliss, and Hysteria all spring to mind.

Oh, I agree that they're going about being a 'big' band in the right way, but what I'm saying is, for someone who's (seemingly) studied so much music, the stuff he makes now is comparatively VERY bland.

I really don't see how any of those songs sound like tracks from OK Computer. Maybe if you compared Showbiz to Pablo Honey / The Bends you might have some sort of point.

As for the bland songs from a well studied man - tracks like exogenesis, MK Ultra and I belong to you (which I don't like) are all songs obviously coming from a learned man.

what I'm saying is, for someone who's (seemingly) studied so much music, the stuff he makes now is comparatively VERY bland.

I really cant understand your logic for this statement. B&F is quite an original song in its own right.

But as for suggesting they're latest album is not original.. Really??

I mean how many other bands out there have the ability to write a full symphony...

How many other bands even have the courage to write something orchestral to put in a song to add another level. The fact that Bellamy is able to use strings so effectively and still create brilliant songs that would easily pass as rock music is inspirational. there are not many bands out there that can get past the basic "vocals, guitars and drums".

Another example is how amazing undisclosed desires sounds, again showing how original muse are in that they can create a completely different type of song without any guitar or piano in it.

Not only do muse have so many different layers in alot of songs, they are also able to preserve the ability to write a pure basic back to roots rock and roll kinda tune.

So in one album muse manage to cover the basic trio rock sounds, a completely synthesized song and a selection of tracks with a complete string arrangement.....

I really think their last album is incredibly creative and original (maybe not their best album) but definitely original.

Just because radiohead have the AMAZING ability to reinvent themselves on almost every album doesnt mean muse are just like them.. Radiohead have such an expanse of different types of music that I'm sure alot of songs from alot of bands have could have a similar sound.

budgemook wrote: »
    I really don't see how any of those songs sound like tracks from OK Computer. Maybe if you compared Showbiz to Pablo Honey / The Bends you might have some sort of point.
    Yeah, I don't see ANY similarity between Muses output and OK Computer. The other comparisons you mention are fair enough.

I like Muse, I've seen them plenty of times, I've been listening to them since their showbiz days but there always was and always will be something about them that just doesn't sit right with me.

Really? Have you ever listened to OK Computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

So what if some songs sound like they have a Radiohead influence. Is it really such a big deal?

The songs mentioned however are nothing like anything off OK Computer

They sound similar to me, but I guess there's no accounting for taste, so we're both right on that one?

How about Uprising? Doesn't Call Me by Blondie come to mind? Whatever about having an influence from another band (and did I ever say that ripping their sound off OK Computer was a bad thing? It's a good sound, just not as amazing as everyone makes it out to be), I have no time for someone ripping off a hook as blatantly as Uprising/Call Me.

As for Butterflies and Hurricanes, the piano solo in it owes so much to Rachmaninov it's silly. Not that original in my opinion.

I'm not slating Muse, I'm saying I'm not that into them and giving my points.

Other bands that can make cover standard pop arrangements and classical ones? The Flaming Lips, Deerhoof, Radiohead, Super Furry Animals, Belle and Sebastian, Björk, Ben Folds Five, Eels, Gorillaz, Prince, Sigur Rós... Muse aren't doing anything remarkable in that respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

They sound similar to me, but I guess there's no accounting for taste, so we're both right on that one?

How about Uprising? Doesn't Call Me by Blondie come to mind? Whatever about having an influence from another band (and did I ever say that ripping their sound off OK Computer was a bad thing? It's a good sound, just not as amazing as everyone makes it out to be), I have no time for someone ripping off a hook as blatantly as Uprising/Call Me.

As for Butterflies and Hurricanes, the piano solo in it owes so much to Rachmaninov it's silly. Not that original in my opinion.

I'm not slating Muse, I'm saying I'm not that into them and giving my points.

Other bands that can make cover standard pop arrangements and classical ones? The Flaming Lips, Deerhoof, Radiohead, Super Furry Animals, Belle and Sebastian, Björk, Ben Folds Five, Eels, Gorillaz, Prince, Sigur Rós... Muse aren't doing anything remarkable in that respect.
    The new album and ok computer...no I wouldnt say so in the slightest. There earlier stuff had a good bit of radiohead influence but I think they have always had there own sound.

Im pretty sure that everyone follows standard models in music. Show me a band that doesnt and il be surprised. But at least muse,bjork,sigor ros and a lot of the others you listed sound unique today. By that I mean there arent any (or at least very few) who sound similar and play to the same quality.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

• Advertisement

How about Uprising? Doesn't Call Me by Blondie come to mind? W

haha!! When I 1st heard uprising I do recall thinking that it sounds like a mash between blondie, goldfrapp and.. some1 else that I cant recall.

Even with the united states of Eurasia I think sounds like Aladdin Vs Queen!!!

Just because there is a similarity doesnt mean it aint original. Hell every band has inspiration. Muse's inspiration ranges from Rage against the machine to composers like Frédéric Chopin.

I understand where your coming from mate and respect your opinion but the similarity between Ok computer and the resistance is lost on me...

I think its unfortunate that the radiohead wannabe stereotype has stuck with muse considering you can see their progression on each album. Right the way from OOS to resistance it has become less rock and more... cant really think of an appropriate word... eh unapologetically and unashamedly grandiose!!!

Also, Muse like to throw in homages. The Blondie / Goldfrapp ones are obvious, as is the Queen one. I don't see a problem with that really.

similarity between Ok computer and the resistance is lost on me...

It wasn't The Resistance he was talking about, I don't see any similarity there either. I don't get how so many people can downright say 'there's no similarity' about Muse and OK Computer though. But then that's all subjective.
    budgemook wrote:
    I don't see a problem with that really.

I do. This might be a very particular thing to me, I don't really respect a band that goes into a studio to make a hugely-anticipated album when they're right in the spotlight and then uses their studio time to pay homages. The only reason those homages are there to be made is because the original bands did their own thing and nobody else's. Bands should take themselves seriously and use their studio time for their own statements. I think homages like that are cool live, and I know Muse play the riff from Rage Against The Machine's cover of Maggie's Farm in live shows, I think that's pretty cool. But if someone's making an album, their making their own contribution to the art they practice. Bands should take that more seriously I think.

It wasn't The Resistance he was talking about, I don't see any similarity there either. I don't get how so many people can downright say 'there's no similarity' about Muse and OK Computer though. But then that's all subjective.
    OK Computer and every album Muse have produced are so different in tone that I don't think they're anyway comparable tbh.

The only reason those homages are there to be made is because the original bands did their own thing and nobody else's. Bands should take themselves seriously and use their studio time for their own statements.

Think a great example of this is infact the rage against the machine album "Renegades".

Absolutely class album... so fantastic!! and were quite unique in their birth with the strong politically orientated music!!

I really wouldnt call what muse have done on the resistance as "homages". I mean, yes you can hear where they got their inspiration but most of their songs are original.

I think the symphony is an amzing piece of work and that any other current band would struggle to create something as complex/unique as that. A handful of current bands might be able to produce something unique like that and definitely some past legendary groups.

But I cant understand why if you hear something similar that it means its the same!!

Its not like they did what black eyed peas (pump it) did to the pulp fiction theme tune (Miserlou).. that is what is completely unacceptable and what El Pr0n is trying to get at I think. :confused:

The "homage" I was talking about in Uprising is simply the little lick that sounds a bit like the "Call Me" part of Call Me. I think something like that is fine.

Also, just to reiterate: If you want to compare Radiohead to Muse, Don't use OK Computer. That's a terrible example as it sounds nothing like anything Muse have done.

• Advertisement

Also, just to reiterate: If you want to compare Radiohead to Muse, Don't use OK Computer. That's a terrible example as it sounds nothing like anything Muse have done.

Just for argument's sake;

Matt Bellamy's register and some of his delivery is a lot like Thom Yorke. The drumming in Sunburn reminds me of Phil Selway's playing. The bass sound in Hysteria is exactly like the bass in Exit Music (For a Film). Backing vocals, and sorta the overall idea of Knights of Cydonia, both remind me of Paranoid Android a lot. Muse's lyrics give the same sort of vibe as Radiohead's, especially stuff on OK Computer. The whole socially-aware thing.

I'm not saying Muse ripped off OK Computer, my friend said that, and I said I could see his point, and I think those few points are pretty fair observations. How come everyone ignores the fact that there's no right answer to this, it's all subjective and there's no accounting for taste?

Matt Bellamy's register and some of his delivery is a lot like Thom Yorke. The drumming in Sunburn reminds me of Phil Selway's playing. The bass sound in Hysteria is exactly like the bass in Exit Music (For a Film). Backing vocals, and sorta the overall idea of Knights of Cydonia, both remind me of Paranoid Android a lot. Muse's lyrics give the same sort of vibe as Radiohead's, especially stuff on OK Computer. The whole socially-aware thing.

I'm not saying Muse ripped off OK Computer, my friend said that, and I said I could see his point, and I think those few points are pretty fair observations. How come everyone ignores the fact that there's no right answer to this, it's all subjective and there's no accounting for taste?

Say what?!

Say what?!

Bass with a really harsh fuzz. I know Colin Greenwood uses a Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz, I don't know what Christopher Wolstenholme uses. Similar sound in Myxomatosis off Hail To The Thief.

*Myxomatosis studio version is a synthesiser, live version is distorted bass, synth and guitar.

sigh.

I dunno, I guess I simply don't agree with any of your points though you seem to be sticking to them and have arguments that make sense to yourself. The fact that they don't make sense to me makes no difference really. Just have to agree to disagree.

I just listened to Exit Music for a Film there. I really really cannot see where you are coming from.

He plays bass through two big muffs in Hysteria.

Can't say I agree with any of the comparisons you made with Radiohead. I really don't get how KOC and PA are similar.

• Advertisement

Just have to agree to disagree.

I've made that point three times already.

I've made that point three times already.

Fair enough. Mad arguments all the same though.

He plays bass through two big muffs in Hysteria.

Can't say I agree with any of the comparisons you made with Radiohead. I really don't get how KOC and PA are similar.

Relatively long song with lots of guitar work and lots of vocal tracks all coming together? The bit where it drops to only the vocal tracks? They're all objective similarities in arrangement and structure.
    I just listened to Exit Music for a Film there. I really really cannot see where you are coming from.

If we wanted to get really pedantic about this, you could run the bass tracks through an oscilloscope. Physically, they would look very similar.

Relatively long song with lots of guitar work and lots of vocal tracks all coming together? The bit where it drops to only the vocal tracks? They're all objective similarities in arrangement and structure.

If we wanted to get really pedantic about this, you could run the bass tracks through an oscilloscope. Physically, they would look very similar.

Well it's quite lucky that music isn't appreciated using an oscilloscope or even ones eyes. I listen to music using my ears and to me they sound nothing alike. That is the worst argument for anything I have ever heard. The second worst is the previous one about KOC and PA. "The bit where it drops to only the vocal tracks" - How is that anything like PA? "long song with lots of guitar work and lots of vocal tracks" - WTF?

Well it's quite lucky that music isn't appreciated using an oscilloscope or even ones eyes. I listen to music using my ears and to me they sound nothing alike. That is the worst argument for anything I have ever heard.

Well it's not, because music is subjective, and people can take whatever they want from it. I'm not going to insult your preferred way of enjoying music, and I'd thank you to not insult mine. I'm interested in physics and synthesis and the physical composition of sound, so in my case, music can be appreciated using and oscilloscope and my eyes.
    The second worst is the previous one about KOC and PA. "The bit where it drops to only the vocal tracks" - How is that anything like PA? "long song with lots of guitar work and lots of vocal tracks" - WTF?

You know the 'Rain down on me from a great height' bit of Paranoid Android? Similar thinking behind the arrangement there.

What don't you understand about the 'long song with lots of guitar work and vocal tracks' bit? It's a long song, it's got layered vocals and layered guitars, as does Paranoid Android. That is the ****. People wanted some examples and explanations, those are mine.

Well it's not, because music is subjective, and people can take whatever they want from it. I'm not going to insult your preferred way of enjoying music, and I'd thank you to not insult mine. I'm interested in physics and synthesis and the physical composition of sound, so in my case, music can be appreciated using and oscilloscope and my eyes.
    Best of luck with that.
    You know the 'Rain down on me from a great height' bit of Paranoid Android? Similar thinking behind the arrangement there.
    I do. A song goes slow before the big hitting riff. Shock.
    What don't you understand about the 'long song with lots of guitar work and vocal tracks' bit? It's a long song, it's got layered vocals and layered guitars, as does Paranoid Android. That is the ****. People wanted some examples and explanations, those are mine.
    I understand quite well. I'm off to the Radiohead thread now to talk about how they ripped off Pink Floyd and many many other bands.

I'm out.

A song goes slow before the big hitting riff. Shock.

I was just describing similarites, I never said Radiohead invented it. The arrangement there is a similarity between the songs. Also, Knights of Cydonia doesn't slow down.
    I'm off to the Radiohead thread now to talk about how they ripped off Pink Floyd and many many other bands.

I dunno if you're getting me. I wanted a discussion about music, I wasn't having a fight or trying to piss on Muse. I'd be the first to say Radiohead derived from a lot of people (Autechre, Penderecki, Miles Davis, Talking Heads and Television all spring to mind), but that wasn't the discussion here. I didn't even come up with the point that caused all the discussion, I was just talking about a point my friend made that I thought had some sense to it. I wondered what the Muse thread would think about it. Apparently they think I'm downright wrong about something completely subjective, and don't agree that the physical properties of sound and the definable structures and arrangements in songs are worth considering.

So this wasn't a very conclusive discussion about Muse, but it was a discussion, nothing personal. I don't think I ever said any point/band/song/idea was 'better' than any other did I? That wasn't the kind of thing I was saying, and I'm worried it came across that way.

I dunno if you're getting me. I wanted a discussion about music, I wasn't having a fight or trying to piss on Muse. I'd be the first to say Radiohead derived from a lot of people (Autechre, Penderecki, Miles Davis, Talking Heads and Television all spring to mind), but that wasn't the discussion here.

So this wasn't a very conclusive discussion about Muse, but it was a discussion, nothing personal. I don't think I ever said any point/band/song/idea was 'better' than any other did I? That wasn't the kind of thing I was saying, and I'm worried it came across that way.

You said your friend said Muse ripped off OK Computer. You said you didn't say that but you agreed with it somewhat. You gave reasons as if you played Hysteria and Exit Music for a Film through an oscilloscope they would look almost the same. I think that's a ridiculous argument but respect your prerogative to enjoy music in that freaky way ;)

You then said KOC and PA are very similar as they both have layered guitars and singing and are long songs. Many many many songs have layered guitars and singing and are long. I won't even bother list any but some Pink Floyd ones are good examples.

So, in summation, you can see your friends, who says Muse ripped off OK Computer, point because a bass line in one song would look similar through an oscilloscope and because one song has similar traits to a million other songs. Those were the two arguments you gave comparing the two bands. How are you seeing his point exactly?

And something else, in saying Muse ripped off Radiohead your friend could use many better examples. Your friend just chose the wrong Radiohead album to say the same crap I've been listening to for years.

You've just been given an idea and you're trying to find ways to justify it. Trying badly, I might add.

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    You've just been given an idea and you're trying to find ways to justify it. Trying badly, I might add.

No, I'm explaining what I think. You're taking my argument personally and attacking me instead of my points. That's a bad argument.

• Advertisement

So, in summation, you can see your friends, who says Muse ripped off OK Computer, point because a bass line in one song would look similar through an oscilloscope and because one song has similar traits to a million other songs. Those were the two arguments you gave comparing the two bands. How are you seeing his point exactly?

You know that, if two waveforms look the same, they necessarily have to sound the same, right? And yes, there are many songs that have the same thing going on, but Paranoid Android and Knights of Cydonia are two of them, aren't they? And they aren't the only two arguments I put up, did you ignore all my others?
    El Pr0n wrote:
    Matt Bellamy's register and some of his delivery is a lot like Thom Yorke. The drumming in Sunburn reminds me of Phil Selway's playing ... Muse's lyrics give the same sort of vibe as Radiohead's, especially stuff on OK Computer. The whole socially-aware thing.

Are they not valid comparisons?
    And something else, in saying Muse ripped off Radiohead your friend could use many better examples. Your friend just chose the wrong Radiohead album to say the same crap I've been listening to for years.

So are you just annoyed at me for bringing this 'same crap' up again? Because you should get over it.

You know that, if two waveforms look the same, they necessarily have to sound the same, right?
    Sure. I never "looked" at music though. These bass lines don;t sound the same. They are different notes. Using your logic they wouldn't look the same as they sound different. I'll never find out for sure though as I won't be looking at any music I don't think.
    And yes, there are many songs that have the same thing going on, but Paranoid Android and Knights of Cydonia are two of them, aren't they? And they aren't the only two arguments I put up,
    It's an argument for one band ripping off another. Again using your logic this means most bands are ripping off most other bands all the time.
    did you ignore all my others?
    Yes, they were stupid.
    Are they not valid comparisons?
    No.
    So are you just annoyed at me for bringing this 'same crap' up again?
    It's not really the same crap. The other people making a similar argument usually have better points than you.
    Because you should get over it.
    Done ;)

Budgemook, you're not arguing against my points, you're arguing against me, and that isn't a valid argument. If you ever fancy a proper discussion, that'd be cool, but if all you can manage is calling my points 'stupid' (and you can't call opinions stupid) and slagging me off with no bearing to my argument, then don't bother.

Budgemook, you're not arguing against my points, you're arguing against me, and that isn't a valid argument. If you ever fancy a proper discussion, that'd be cool, but if all you can manage is calling my points 'stupid' (and you can't call opinions stupid) and slagging me off with no bearing to my argument, then don't bother.

I already argued against your points. Bass is not the same in hysteria and exit music for a film. They are different notes. Paranoid Android and Knights of Cydonia could be compared in terms of length, layered vocals and guitars but that is where the comparisons end and millions of songs are like that. Does Paranoid Android rip off Bohemian Rhapsody? Long songs, layered guitars, layered vocals... It must!

So, this to means that these are bad examples of a Muse ripping off OK Computer (surprise surprise). You carry on with same argument going on about how they might look the same and how I should get over things. This insults me and my intelligence.

Goodbye.

Thats like saying only Radiohead ever use fuzz for bass or having backing vocals man. Its a very lightly-connected connection.

You mention socially aware...wanna listen to Porcupine Tree? Specifically Fear of a Blank Planet? Exact same era as Radiohead, similar ideas, very different on all albums. Does that mean PT are like Radiohead? Or Radiohead are like PT? Reading a Malcolm Gladwell book at the moment, section I'm on is about music. Some fun similarities in songs. Ya know that famous song Smells Like Teen Spirit? Chorus guitar is the exact same as More Than A Feeling. Doesn't mean they copy each other, its paying homage to influences. Bog distinction between influence nad copying. something Muse shouldn't be accused of.

I'm not arguing that Muse ripped off Radiohead, my friend said that, I said I could 'see his point', and seeing someone's point doesn't mean you 100% agree with everything someone said. Then people asked for reasons why I thought that, and I gave them. I never said Muse ripped off Radiohead, and I never said they were only band to sound like another band. I wanted to bring my mate's point to the discussion and see what you all thought. Jesus, what a waste.

Good points Mushy, I agree altogether. I never slated Muse for sounding like something else. If I could sound like OK Computer I'd be pretty happy with myself.

And one more point about that bassline; the notes are immaterial to my point. Of course the notes are different, it's a different song. I'm talking about the production and processing and techniques. But whatever.

Good points Mushy, I agree altogether. I never slated Muse for sounding like something else. If I could sound like OK Computer I'd be pretty happy with myself.

And one more point about that bassline; the notes are immaterial to my point. Of course the notes are different, it's a different song. I'm talking about the production and processing and techniques. But whatever.

I assumed you were alright (re: bassline). I certainly don't see the similarities regarding these aspects though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Knights of Cydonia like Radiohead's Paranoid Android? First time I've heard that one! The influences on KoC go back a lot further than that. It sounds to me like Rush's 2112 Overture with vocals by the Electric Light Orchestra, which is no bad thing. :D

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Dunno how many people are aware of this..

I heard it ages ago but just downloaded it as a ringtone for my new phone!!

Forgot how epic it was..

Muse - popcorn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6oc9o8I6Hw

and of course.. LIVE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCEJEM95mvs

• Advertisement

Dunno how many people are aware of this..

I heard it ages ago but just downloaded it as a ringtone for my new phone!!

Forgot how epic it was..

Muse - popcorn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6oc9o8I6Hw

and of course.. LIVE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCEJEM95mvs

I loved the live version of it. Wasn't mad about the studio version.

Chris' wife had another baby yesterday.

http://twitpic.com/33unip
    Adorable.

Advertisement